Where now for contador?

bipedal
bipedal Posts: 466
edited July 2009 in Pro race
What's the chances of AC staying at Astana?
He's won all his GTs under the tutelage of wiley old johan, will he be so successful without him and without such a GT focused team (albeit a divided one)?

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If he goes to Caisse d'Epargne he'll get even better. The entire team is absolutely packed with world-class mountain helpers, but is lacking a leader. LL Sanchez, Arroyo, Fran Perez, Lastras, Pereiro, JI Gutierrez, plus Uran... Contador would be unstoppable on that team. Plus he'd be allowed to speak to his team-mates in Spanish.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    afx237vi wrote:
    If he goes to Caisse d'Epargne he'll get even better. The entire team is absolutely packed with world-class mountain helpers, but is lacking a leader. LL Sanchez, Arroyo, Fran Perez, Lastras, Pereiro, JI Gutierrez, plus Uran... Contador would be unstoppable on that team. Plus he'd be allowed to speak to his team-mates in Spanish.

+1
    Heres hoping that comes to be. A stand up fight without LA and Bruyneel undermining AC at every turn would be great to see.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    +1
    Heres hoping that comes to be. A stand up fight without LA and Bruyneel undermining AC at every turn would be great to see.[/quote]

Would that be the same Bruyneel who undermined Bertie to win a Giro, 2 x TdF and a Vuelta. Seems like they did ok together
    M.Rushton
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I don't think that Cassie has enough TT talent. They are good, no doubt, but Garmin may be better.

Vaughters is under the gun -- Columbia and now RadioLance -- he is going to have to do something. Garmin is a team that has some attitude which you need to compete against the Cowboy. I thought White's decision to chase Hincapie showed something.

Does Contador's past rule that out -- maybe.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    mrushton wrote:
    +1
    Heres hoping that comes to be. A stand up fight without LA and Bruyneel undermining AC at every turn would be great to see.

Would that be the same Bruyneel who undermined Bertie to win a Giro, 2 x TdF and a Vuelta. Seems like they did ok together[/quote]

Yes thats the one. :wink:
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    Johan and Alberto get on just fine, and AC has done very well under him. I think everyone csn see the LA has been the fly in the ointment
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think everyone needs to remember that JB wasn't DS'ing last year. He was a "general manager" - The man behind the wheel in the Giro and Vuelta was Gallopin.

JB returned to the car for Lance.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Wasn't Yatesy in the car for one of them? The Giro maybe?

Or maybe I'm getting confused with Il Falco in 2005.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:

Yes, Yates was rocking the mic for il Falco in 05. That was a proper Grand Tour.
  • DaveyL
    It certainly was. MC Yatesy buying help left right and centre on the Finestre. :-)

And Savo caning it down the other side. Proper darts.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    I'd like to hear Yates say "tranquilo" - I bet he said it loads on that stage.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Speaking of that Giro, the man who cam ethird that year is rockin' South America this season.

http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/rider.asp?riderid=658
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    iainf72 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Yes, Yates was rocking the mic for il Falco in 05. That was a proper Grand Tour.

IIRC Yatesy was in the car for the 1st week of the 2008 Giro before being elbowed out of the road when it became clear Bertie was up for the win.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    afx237vi wrote:

True, but its not as if he needs bucketloads of help in the mountains is it? Like somebody else already mentioned, needs make sure he's got a strong team incase more TTT stuff. Although would probably be more conducive to a good tour if Contador could lose a couple of minutes in a TTT and then we could watch him attack in the mountains more :D
  • Where now for Contador?

Judging by the the fortunes of previous ex-Brunyeel employees a ban for doping at some point.
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Could it be garmin? JV says possibly...
    http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12919159
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    bertie doesnt need a team- he just won the tdf single handed! :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Mmmn, if he DOES sign for Garmin, he'd go up in my estimation, 'cos I'd take it as a sign that he's riding clean.

I don't want him to not be, but let's just see how he does away from The Hog.

Take it JV will be employing the best haemtologists to pour over his passport.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    what is the latest on Yates? Heard he was hospitalized, is he ok now?

back to Bertie, I can see only Saxo NOT wanting him because of the Schlecks, and of course LA's new team where he is not welcome.

He needs a powerfull team, CdE, Garmin, Rabo? Surely he won't stick around with the dead Astana with Vino and Kash?
  • DaveyL
    Given how he can outgun guys like Cancellara on the flat, maybe we'll see him winning Paris-Roubaix next?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    bertie doesnt need a team- he just won the tdf single handed! :D

LOL, just like at Paris Nice.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    He said he wont go with an 'Anglo' team which rules out Garmin...or at least that was said of him.

Seeing him on a Trek was bad enough and although a Felt would be better, it is still ugly.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Were there any good looking bikes this year though? Trek was one of the better ones. Esoecially liked his yellowy one on the last day
    Dan
  • frenchfighter
    Caisse, Liquigas, Bbox, AG2R and Katusha all had great bikes.

Here is Cancellara's:
    5295_558339810751_37009031_33166720_3282774_n.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    although a Felt would be better, it is still ugly.

I really liked the Felts- one of the best-looking bikes in the peloton for me!
  • frenchfighter
    This is Contador's:
    primaryBg.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    edited July 2009
    Were there any good looking bikes this year though? Trek was one of the better ones. Esoecially liked his yellowy one on the last day

There were plenty, Cervelos, Specialized and the Treks were decent when you look at ACs all white effort and even some of lance's custom paint jobs. I got to admit I liked the look of the focus bikes milram were on, ag2r on BH and the felt's are actually not a bad machine. Being honest though on my 800 quid cube I would love any of the tour grade equipment.

I used to love the pinerellos and willier but got to admit not so much of a fan now.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... -sl2/73273
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/alb ... ies-madone
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tou ... t-everyone
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/p ... bike-22482

PS would defo be interesting to see AC in a more spanish outfit, CdE would be a killer team on the climbs etc,
  • frenchfighter
    edited October 2012
    And this is Lance's bike...I wont comment as there are some sensitive people on this forum who object to my thoughts about his bikes.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    I Like lance but his sense of style is full on chav, his bikes are brutal! dont get me started on his footwear.
  • IanLD
    IanLD Posts: 423
    edited July 2009
    Don't think Alonso will have so much time for a team if he takes Massa's place at Ferrari for the rest of the season. Seems to be on the cards given Renault's ban from the Valencia grand prix.

I'd reckon Caisse d'Epargne, although why a French bank wants so many spanish riders is a bit lost on me!

Got to admit to warming quite a lot to Contador - just wish he would prove that he did not have anything to do with Puerto. Certainly good fun seeing him showing LA who always had been the real team leader of Astana even though parts of the team didn't seem to know who it was.

Edit - just read up on C d'E and found out that they are the Reynolds/Bannesto team. I'd also forgotten their existance as Illes Balears :oops: