Tour de France stage 21 - Champs-Élysées *spoiler*

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Still 120 km to go, and the bunch are still in processional mode. There is much quaffing of champagne, mucking around with camera phones and gurning at TV cameras.

Two things, though:

1. Garmin are all in skinsuits and no-one knows why.

2. Alberto Contador seems to be making a point of talking to as many Caisse d'Epargne as he can find :wink:

Comments

• Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    At last! Has Kleber got the day off?

Garmin in skinsuits...hmm. Can't think of any reason except that it's somebody's idea of a joke. Or they just want more airtime for the sponsors...OR they're going to try for a TTT to get Wiggins away. I've always wanted someone to try this . But the only way I can think of making it work is to get casually to the front and then cause a crash.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • afx237vi
    Very nice of Quick Step to show up for the last day in Paris.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    afx237vi wrote:

Boonen heard there was a party afterwards :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • pottssteve
    ITV4 has just started. Cue the cheese, wine and castles...
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    afx237vi wrote:

Shouldn't they have ridden all the other stages too? What? They did? Really? Are you sure?

Seems that the champagne from the Astana car this morning was distinctly chilled :lol:
  • afx237vi
    Scott Sunderland being interviewed on ES now. Sky will have 50% British riders, and some "very surprising" big names. Vino and Ricco it is, then 8)
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    afx237vi wrote:
    Scott Sunderland being interviewed on ES now. Sky will have 50% British riders, and some "very surprising" big names. Vino and Ricco it is, then 8)
    Cadel Evans??
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Could Cav sneak the Green Jersey if he wins the intermediate sprints and the stage? Would it be considered unethical if he even tried?

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • afx237vi
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    Could Cav sneak the Green Jersey if he wins the intermediate sprints and the stage? Would it be considered unethical if he even tried?

Geoff

Hushovd would need to crash or have a mechanical. Then the jersey really would be tainted.
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    Perfectly ethical. McEwen, Cooke, Hushovd, O'Grady, Zabel are names that have been mixing it up in the intermediate sprint on the Champs the past few years.
  • afx237vi
    samb01 wrote:
    Geoff_SS wrote:
    Perfectly ethical. McEwen, Cooke, Hushovd, O'Grady, Zabel are names that have been mixing it up in the intermediate sprint on the Champs the past few years.

It's ethical, but where would Hushovd need to finish? Outside the top 15? Ain't gonna happen.
  • afx237vi
    The peloton always looks tiny on the Champs-Élysées!
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Hee hee, Harmon just made a Max Moseley joke.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Geoff_SS wrote:

Geoff

In 2001 Stuart O'Grady lost the green jersey on the last day as Zabel won the two intermediate sprints and then won the stage.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/results/ ... e_19.shtml
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,632
    Have Colombia shot their bolt already? Is Cav's leadout scuppered?
    Rich
  • Eurostar
    Disastrous TTT attempt from Garmin
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • afx237vi
    Well, that Garmin effort was... er... utterly pointless.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Maybe Bertie could take a flier off the front given he's such a great time trialist....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    Cavendish wins by a MIIIIIIIIIIIILE. Seriously impressive. Renshaw and Hincapie were immense.
  • Eurostar
    Garmin were such rubbish on the last corner they nearly cost Thor his jersey.
    <hr>
  • pottssteve
    Bugg@r me, that was fast!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, that was outrageous.

Shame he couldn't get the green jersey too.

I've been trying to remember how many points he lost when he was DQ'd - would it have been enough?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • afx237vi
    That must be one of the biggest sprint victories I've ever seen. No matter how many camera angles they show, there's no-one else even in the frame :shock:
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You know you were miles ahead when your leadout man freewheels in and gets second place!
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Eurostar wrote:
    Garmin were such rubbish on the last corner they nearly cost Thor his jersey.

Yeah, they tried to beat Columbia in, didnt make it and had to ease up allowing a big gap to appear
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Interview on Eurosport - does Cav usually wear a Livestrong wristband??
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • g3n1u5
    g3n1u5 Posts: 21
    i noticed the livestrong band for the first time on friday
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    yes he does

the whole tour so far lol
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    In defence of Garmin, I think their line was initially thrown out by the third from last HTC lead out rider when he pulled off to the right?
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    k-dog wrote:
    I've been trying to remember how many points he lost when he was DQ'd - would it have been enough?
    13 (iirc), and Thor got an extra point as he moved up one place

Which, given Thor's 25 point lead this morning, Cav winning (35) and Thor coming 6th (20) means that Cav would have won by 4 points assuming that everything else had happened the same