BBC SPoTY

2»

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,174
    squired wrote:
    If Button ends up winning it I'd be disappointed - a "sport" where the person in the best car wins.

Brad did extremely well, but the one cyclist that should be in there is Cav given that he achieved 6 wins in the one tour.

If there is one person I think deserves being in there it is Phil Taylor. Some will argue he isn't a sportsman, but then that could be argued about a lot of so-called sports.

Isn't that why Contador won, because he had the best bike..?? :wink:
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Nah, you will note he's riding a Trek.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Only three candidtates for me Jenson Button,Andy Murray and Cav
    Murray could do with achieving something before the voting starts then...

So fourth in the TdF is achieving something, but top four in Wimbledon and being ranked top three in the world behind the greatest ever player and probably the greatest clay court player ever is not?

Go figure.

If Engalnd wins the Ashes, Freddie is nailed on.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    ... you forgot about that horrible little kid who jumps into a swimming pool... if you can call jumping into a swimming pool and not making a big splash a sport...

I do hope this was said in jest?

Don't we all gripe that cycling doesn't get the recognition we think it deserves? Criticising a 15 year old World Champion in another marginalised sport isn't very productive. :roll:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    You can discount Button boys; he's got the wobbles.

One-win Webber is breathing down his neck!

Webber's got one win to Button's six, so Webber's going to have to win some of the intermediate sprints in the mountains (that's how it works isn't it?)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    ... you forgot about that horrible little kid who jumps into a swimming pool... if you can call jumping into a swimming pool and not making a big splash a sport...

Don't we all gripe that cycling doesn't get the recognition we think it deserves? Criticising a 15 year old World Champion in another marginalised sport isn't very productive. :roll:

The kid's obviously good, but it's a sport that has a lot of champions, no-one takes part in and no-one watches. You can't compare that to cycling (road at least).
    exercise.png
  • bobtbuilder
    The kid's obviously good, but it's a sport that has a lot of champions, no-one takes part in and no-one watches. You can't compare that to cycling (road at least).

What I meant is that as cycling fans, we complain about our sport not getting the general recognition we feel it deserves. Belittling other "fringe" sports isn't going to help.

AKAIK - Tom Daley only competes in two events, in the same way that a road cyclist has two opportunities to win a World Title.

Yes there are other events in the diving world that he does not comete in, but the same is true of other cycling disciplines.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    RichN95 wrote:
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    You can discount Button boys; he's got the wobbles.

One-win Webber is breathing down his neck!

Webber's got one win to Button's six, so Webber's going to have to win some of the intermediate sprints in the mountains (that's how it works isn't it?)

I heard Button say that Webber has stained his racing kit.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    That was years ago when the angling community made a concerted effort to get Bob Nudd nominated.

Nowadays the final 10 shortlist is decided by newspaper and magazine editors, and the final award is decided by a viewers vote on the night.

Flintoff is a good shout, especially with him retiring after the Ashes. Us Brits love a bit of sentimentalism.

Other than a few wickets against the worst aussie batting line up since the 70s what has he done this year ?

Could have said exactly the same thing 4 years ago. People will have forgotten about Cavendish and Wiggins in a few days time. Flintoff is well-known by everyone, extremely popular and probably going to get lots of votes for nostalgiac reasons.
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292

... Nope, ... since when was this a forum for supporting marginal sports. Cycling is a huge sport (except in the UK)... diving isn't exactly a huge sport anywhere....

... I stand by my splash comment :wink:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Lads save your 10ps, you're wasting your phonecalls.

In a non olympic/world cup year field is limited, Twiggo and Cav won't be on the chat show circuit a la Sir Chris and won't get enough popular support to win.

No, instead pick an English golfer, I suggest Ross Fisher* who is in great form.

If, and I know its a big if he were to win the USA pga, the last major of the year. It'll be all over before it even starts.

<looks round, realises he's not in commuting any more and scarpers>

*Westwood and McIlroy are other possibilities.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Someone still needs to win something global and big. Button needs to win or Murray and golfers pick up their remaining chance. The cricket is possible. If no-one wins, they usually pick a royal with a rich dad, but even that looks unlikely this year.

That could put Cav and Brad in with a chance as it leaves very few other options. Daley (diving) or Ennis (athletics, if she wins). Maybe Haye (boxing), but the fight he has now if nowhere near as big as planned.
    exercise.png
  • bobtbuilder
    diving isn't exactly a huge sport anywhere....

Such amazing ignorance :o

Diving is huge in China and the Far East. Tom Daley is a superstar in China.

So, we have a 15 year old World Champion in a sport that we have never had an individual World Champion in, or Wiggo finishing 4th at the Tour. Take your cycling blinkers off! :lol:

IMO it should go to Cav for MSR & Giro & tour stages, but to put Wiggo above Daley is ridiculous.
  • mgcycleguy
    diving isn't exactly a huge sport anywhere....

Such amazing ignorance :o

Diving is huge in China and the Far East. Tom Daley is a superstar in China.

... oh I stand corrected, apologises for my amazing ignorance on current chinese sporting interests.... maybe the little chap will win Best Overseas sports personality on the chinese version of SPOTY as well then....
  • mgcycleguy
    Take your cycling blinkers off! :lol:

... no, I'll get scared by the traffic if i do that.... :wink: