BBC SPoTY

xover_runner
xover_runner Posts: 228
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Bit early, but surely they are only 2 contenders - Cav and Wiggins. I know Button might win the Grand Prix drivers prize but Hamilton did last year and that didn't keep Hoy out. If we win the Ashes someone might come up on the rails there. Also no big boxing performances I can recall to date or on the horizon, Calzaghe and Hatton are finished.

Wiggins shades it for me but needs to work on his PR, still remember his interview at the SPoTY lasy year.

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Isn't "sports personality" an oxymoron?
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    ... you forgot about that horrible little kid who jumps into a swimming pool... if you can call jumping into a swimming pool and not making a big splash a sport... will surely get the mothers and grandmothers vote !
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Personally my vote goes to Chrissie Wellington. Shame she won't even make the list despite being both utterly dominant in her sport AND a true personality.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    She's a triathlete in case you're wondering :lol:
  • mgcycleguy
    Personally my vote goes to Chrissie Wellington. Shame she won't even make the list despite being both utterly dominant in her sport AND a true personality.

... everybody races off to google... :?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    +loads for Chrissie Wellington - she does have personality, a cause (serveal in fact) she actively promotes and she is the best by a mile.

While out on the bike today, I was wondering if Her Maj could maybe throw a couple of honours the way of Brad and Cav (they've been doled out for less) and possibly a bit of retrosepctive recognition for the great Robert Millar.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    mgcycleguy wrote:
    ... you forgot about that horrible little kid who jumps into a swimming pool... if you can call jumping into a swimming pool and not making a big splash a sport... will surely get the mothers and grandmothers vote !
    You're just jealous you can't pull off his speedo look.

Have you ever tried diving competitively?

Or did the inflatable armband get in the way?
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • AO1504
    AO1504 Posts: 57
    I do not see them giving the Sports Personality to a cyclist for the 2nd year in a row
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Bit early, but surely they are only 2 contenders - Cav and Wiggins. I know Button might win the Grand Prix drivers prize but Hamilton did last year and that didn't keep Hoy out. If we win the Ashes someone might come up on the rails there. Also no big boxing performances I can recall to date or on the horizon, Calzaghe and Hatton are finished.

Wiggins shades it for me but needs to work on his PR, still remember his interview at the SPoTY lasy year.

Only three candidtates for me Jenson Button,Andy Murray and Cav if Murray wins US open he will win SPOTY otherwise it will be Jenson Button assuming he goes onto to win the World title. While all us lot are well aware of how monumental Cavs acheivements are the Great British public are less so, Milan-San Remo means nothing to the average joe in the street
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    If England win the Ashes with Flintoff contributing in the rest of the matches as much as he did in the Lords test then I can't see past him. I empashise the 'if' though.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    I'm hoping for Freddie Flintoff, purely for the fact I had him at 18-1 a couple of months ago...

Usually in odd numbered years it's tough to call, 'cos there's no really big tournaments, bar the Tour de France
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    AO1504 wrote:
    I do not see them giving the Sports Personality to a cyclist for the 2nd year in a row

it's a viewers' vote. 'them' don't get a say.....
  • xover_runner
    xover_runner Posts: 228
    fair point re Murray but he was a loser at Wimbledon, should save him for when he wins next year
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Nah if Jenson Button wind the F1 drivers title he'll walk away with BBC SPOTY.

Cav may get 2nd at a push.

Sorry to say that people that vote really know what the achievements of Cav or Wiggo are as the Sun doesn't do a great deal of reporting on them.
  • mgcycleguy
    teagar wrote:
    mgcycleguy wrote:
    You're just jealous you can't pull off his speedo look.

Have you ever tried diving competitively?

Or did the inflatable armband get in the way?

... does bombing with your mates count as competative ?...

... never had armbands, and I wont mention the rubber ring... :o
  • Old Pedaller
    Old Pedaller Posts: 104
    it's a viewers' vote. 'them' don't get a say.....[/quote]

Sadly not the case. A few years ago somebody was barred from the "contest" by the BBC because they thought that lobbying was taking place.

However we are bombarded by BBC publicity over the weeks leading to the show which repeatedly suggests a very short list of names. If that is not attempting to influence the result I don't know what is.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    That was years ago when the angling community made a concerted effort to get Bob Nudd nominated.

Nowadays the final 10 shortlist is decided by newspaper and magazine editors, and the final award is decided by a viewers vote on the night.

Flintoff is a good shout, especially with him retiring after the Ashes. Us Brits love a bit of sentimentalism.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    afx237vi wrote:
    Flintoff is a good shout, especially with him retiring after the Ashes. Us Brits love a bit of sentimentalism.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for, especially if he wins the Ashes on one leg....
  • Old Pedaller
    Old Pedaller Posts: 104
    "Nowadays the final 10 shortlist is decided by newspaper and magazine editors, and the final award is decided by a viewers vote on the night."

I hadn't realised there was a change as I gave up watching it long ago but saw a bit of last years where very little sporting action was seen, just staged cameos.

The change seems to make it even worse, one can now only vote for who the media decides you are allowed to vote for, so "they" do seem to dictate to a large degree.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Wiggins? Personality? That's a laugh!!
  • mgcycleguy

... I think you are confusing the concept of " genuine personality" with one of "skilled media manipulation" :)
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    There have been a few surprise winners recently though i think? Calazghe beating Hamilton and Zara Philips winning a few years ago? Who actually phones in to register their vote?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    That was years ago when the angling community made a concerted effort to get Bob Nudd nominated.

Nowadays the final 10 shortlist is decided by newspaper and magazine editors, and the final award is decided by a viewers vote on the night.

Other than a few wickets against the worst aussie batting line up since the 70s what has he done this year ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    The change seems to make it even worse, one can now only vote for who the media decides you are allowed to vote for, so "they" do seem to dictate to a large degree.

They voted Nicole cooke last year as their overall winner in their press and journalist type awards didn't they?
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    If Button ends up winning it I'd be disappointed - a "sport" where the person in the best car wins.

Brad did extremely well, but the one cyclist that should be in there is Cav given that he achieved 6 wins in the one tour.

If there is one person I think deserves being in there it is Phil Taylor. Some will argue he isn't a sportsman, but then that could be argued about a lot of so-called sports.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    mgcycleguy wrote:

... I think you are confusing the concept of " genuine personality" with one of "skilled media manipulation" :)

I think they are confusing the concept of genuine personality with one of skilled media manipulation!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Has to be someone who gets to the top in a global sport. For cycling that means a few gold medals or a tour win. At a stretch, a green jersey and some stage wins.

So I don't they'll get it this year, but should get a mention.

F1 is not a real sport so Button shouldn't be considered.
    Ashes is a game between 2 countries. The press love it, but does anyone (with a job) really watch it?
    Murray, semi final not enough. A US win would change that.

Anyone else?
    exercise.png
  • Only three candidtates for me Jenson Button,Andy Murray and Cav
    Murray could do with achieving something before the voting starts then...
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    There have been a few surprise winners recently though i think? Calazghe beating Hamilton and Zara Philips winning a few years ago? Who actually phones in to register their vote?

I recall a few years ago when there was some consternation as St. Helens took Team of the Year. much complaining that (SHOCK!) RL fans wanted to club their votes together and have their voices heard and that this pushed "worthy" winners down the list. Very funny indeed.

I still voted for Warrington though.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    You can discount Button boys; he's got the wobbles.

One-win Webber is breathing down his neck!