New car excitement

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    We do hate them - I will be hating myself at the same time as grinning :D

I do plan not to drive like a complete t1t though which may confuse other road users. I might even use the indicators once in a while :wink:

You have no chance... there are great cars (thoughh its a BMW ./spit) but my bro got the 130i msport pack jobby as his misses car. and when ever they drive it they drive like ...... you will begin to believe the road belongs to you i promise!

weren't you tempted by the petrol on the BMW? though i admit i couldn't afford to run the petrol lol
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Waylander - not really. The 335i has just over 300bhp but it well down on torque. It's a great engine but 25mpg doesn't really compare to 45mpg! The 335d party trick is the stupendous wave of mega torque - it's hilarious!

Handles brilliantly too and the brakes are excellent. Love it!

Front.jpg
    Back.jpg
    DSC00454.jpg
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd get those number plates cleaned ;-)
  • Surf-Matt
    I have the photo editing skills of a paraplegic locust...
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Btw people it's TORQUE not ' torques' really hate clarkson for that one. :evil:

Don't get me started about audi drivers, the bigger cars are fine and leave me go it's the smaller 1.9tdi's that have some point to prove. :evil:

I drive a 350hp scooby so with most cars i don't even bother. :lol:
    torques definition

tor·ques (tôr′kwēz′)

noun
    a ring of hair, feathers, or modified skin around the neck of an animal or bird, of a distinctive color or form
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    WHat about all the thoroughbred stallions?!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    very ace looking, i love that interior.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Rather nice, makes my new diesel Touran look very frumpy (bloody kids, wife, being nearly forty, bah humbug).

With Sheeps though, new bikes all the way.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Surf-Matt
    Jon - this month - a new road bike, two new surfboards and a new car... :oops: :oops: :lol::lol:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Jon - this month - a new road bike, two new surfboards and a new car... :oops: :oops: :lol::lol:

So what are you getting this month! :)
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    Waylander - not really. The 335i has just over 300bhp but it well down on torque. It's a great engine but 25mpg doesn't really compare to 45mpg! The 335d party trick is the stupendous wave of mega torque - it's hilarious!

Handles brilliantly too and the brakes are excellent. Love it!

Front.jpg
    Back.jpg
    DSC00454.jpg

Looks stunning, just a shame its an auto :wink: .
  • Surf-Matt
    Real - you can't get it in manual - torque is too much for it! But it does have semi auto (see paddles on steering wheel) - to get some serious progress, semi auto is the way to go.

0-60 in 6.1s and 100 in around 13.7s so not too shabby. And limited to 155mph... :wink:
  • stumpyjon
    Surf-Matt wrote:

That was me too:

Touran
    Carbon road bike
    iPhone
    Hope lights
    Joplin seatpost
    £ 800 towbar bike rack (including the towbar)

all in the space of 2 months, feeling rether broke at the moment :roll:

Not allowed to spend anything esle for a while.

Really need some more stuff for the road bike like shoes, helmet, shorts, jerseys etc. anyone fancy donating £ 500?

• Surf-Matt wrote:
    Real - you can't get it in manual - torque is too much for it! But it does have semi auto (see paddles on steering wheel) - to get some serious progress, semi auto is the way to go.

0-60 in 6.1s and 100 in around 13.7s so not too shabby. And limited to 155mph... :wink:

I know you can't get a manual, just kidding :wink: . Epic car, I would love one tbh although I think 100 in 13.7 might be a little optimistic without a remap.
  • Surf-Matt
    edited August 2009
    Real - check the link (0-160km/h or 100mph)- the Touring is only 60kgs more than the saloon and is more aerodynamic...so 0.3 seconds slower is about right. And look at the 1/4 mile time too! In fact 13.7 is correct - just had an owner message me.

Focus ST is 0-100 in 16's, VXR astra 17's , Megane R26 17's etc.

New RS focus is 14 ish. :D

Diesels are always a bit slower off the line than fast petrols though - the 50-70 time is the same as an RS6... :twisted:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?pa ... 5c30c6bee8
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    you know what you need now dont you matt, a full sus bike
  • Surf-Matt
    Sheeps - I think I need to stop buying stuff - for about a year...! I also don't go downhill quick enough to justify one!

Jon - just noticed that your towbar cost £800 - holy cr4p! Is it made of gold?!
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Like a kid in a sweet shop - being delivered on Friday...

BMW 335d Touring SE with 16k miles.

286bhp, 428lbs/ft :twisted: :lol::lol:

Should be fun!

*very* F%^king nice!

I have the Alfa 156 SW 2.4D atm. Older one with only 150 BHP and about 250lbs/ft. The new one is closer to yours at 210 and somewhere north of 300lbs/ft and will almost certainly be my next car (as Mrs B doesn't "see the need" for the 3.2L V6 :roll: ) My 2nd choice would probably be the 330d touring, except that in Belgium BMWs are exclusively driven by cocks, especially the small deisels (as someone else mentioned about 1.9D Audi drivers in the UK, which I guess is because they are company cars driven by wageslaves). and the 335d is too expensive out here

/edit and towbars tend to cost a bomb. They need to mod the frame to transfer teh loading correctly. I was shocked as hell when I first asked about it for the alfa ... I only wanted to put a fast fit bike rack on there! Didn't bother in the end, it's big enough inside to get 5 bikes (well ... at a push...)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Surf-Matt
    Cheers Bomber!

Towbar for ours? £1400!!! Got one on the other car so will leave it at that (and a roofrack and two bike carriers for the Beemer).

BMWs are often driven by muppets here too - and yep, almost always the smaller engined ones.

Mine came with "optional" indicators... :wink::lol:

Alfa is a good 'un - just a bit off FWD now.
  • stumpyjon
    To be fair the towbar was only £ 260, add on the rack, additional bit to make it work with a 4 x 4 rear mounted spare tyre and the extension to take a fourth bike plus number plate the whole lot cam to just under £ 800.

• Surf-Matt
    Is your Touran 4x4?! Or is it a Tiguan?
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Alfa is a good 'un - just a bit off FWD now.

I know what you mean. Fortunately the better alfa engines on the newer chassies have 4wd LSD as an option now. Something else to go wrong :lol: :roll:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    Mine came with "optional" indicators... :wink::lol:

I was riding home from work tonight and a BMW indicated left, then pulled over to the right and parked up.

To further add to the car stereotypes, the reason I was riding home from work and not driving is that my Alfa keeps running out of electricity and I can't get it started without a battery booster! :roll:
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    Real - check the link (0-160km/h or 100mph)- the Touring is only 60kgs more than the saloon and is more aerodynamic...so 0.3 seconds slower is about right. And look at the 1/4 mile time too! In fact 13.7 is correct - just had an owner message me.

Focus ST is 0-100 in 16's, VXR astra 17's , Megane R26 17's etc.

New RS focus is 14 ish. :D

Diesels are always a bit slower off the line than fast petrols though - the 50-70 time is the same as an RS6... :twisted:

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.php?pa ... 5c30c6bee8

Or 14.2 here :wink: . Still either way it has to be said it is stunning performance and I can only wish to have a car like!

http://www.germancarzone.com/internal-c ... -335d.html
  • stumpyjon
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Is your Touran 4x4?! Or is it a Tiguan?

This is getting confusing, the towbar was for our Honda CRV, we got the Touran a couple of weeks later and blagged a free towbar with that although the Volkswagen garage got one fitted at a local towbar place, apparently the proper Volkswagen ones they fit are too expensive :shock:

Wish I could afford a Tiguan (or better still a Touareg), couldn't afford the fuel, yet alone the car). The Touran is nice and sensible, 7 seats (or 5 plus big boot), 55 to the gallon, CRV is a bit pants fuel wise, 26 mpg and it's still not very powerful :oops:

• Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Surf-Matt - one word...

JEALOUS!!!

:lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Surf-Matt
    Jon - sorry, I am a car geek in the extreme so am a right old pedant. I like the Touran - looks good, well made and useful too. Cars don't have to be balls out fast to be damn good.

Real - seen between 13.5 (silly) and also seen that 14.2 - fast anyway. New Focus RS gets around 14 so not bad for a family estate car... :wink: Once the second turbo spools up, all hell breaks loose!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXndCQeU__k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18XkmEmr ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-k_Tqz3 ... PL&index=8

:twisted: :twisted: :lol::lol:
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Pretty slow ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxx__mhq ... re=related

I do like the 335D/535D great engines, guy at work has a tuned up 535D it's insane.
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    Real - seen between 13.5 (silly) and also seen that 14.2 - fast anyway. New Focus RS gets around 14 so not bad for a family estate car... :wink: Once the second turbo spools up, all hell breaks loose!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXndCQeU__k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18XkmEmr ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-k_Tqz3 ... PL&index=8

:twisted: :twisted: :lol::lol:

I'm sure you realise I'm only jesting you :wink: . I would love one but sadly the only time I can afford something like that is the same time all the drug dealing rude boyz can which is probably the reason I will never have such a car unffortunatly :cry:
    A bit like Evo's and Scooby STI's etc.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Interesting, i had no idea about the performance of my car, i've used this site before but not with the scooby anyway here's what i got.

http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp
    Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 350
    Weight without Driver (KG) : 1250
    Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 284.50
    0 - 60 (Secs) : 3.73
    0 - 100 (Secs) : 9.66
    60 - 100 (Secs) : 5.93
    Quarter Mile (Secs) : 12.38
    Terminal Speed (MPH) : 113.19
    Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 11.98
    Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 117.04
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X