Your max rideing distance ?

Retro4300
Retro4300 Posts: 114
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Just wondering what your max ride is and what distance you think you could push it to ?
The most I have done is 50 miles and think I could push it to 60-70.

Asking out of curiousty and maybe planning a camping / biking trip.

Comments

• XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    max todate is 54 mile on road. have done about 41 of road but feel i could prob push 60 steady over a day
  • Retro4300
    Forgot to mention mine was also on road but with a climb over winters hill thrown in on my Mountain bike with semi slick tyres.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Just done my longest MTB ride today did the Mary Townley loop 48 miles and 8053 feet of climbing in 7 1/2 hours of pedalling going by my GPS. Cracking day the weather was perfect but a bit blowy the Pennines has never looked better.

I now just need to find a bag of frozen peas to sit on OOOOHHHHH me bum :cry:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    When i was riding at 15-16 year old we use to do about 30-35 a day round yorkshire.

Think most i've done in recent years is about 17 mile but that is after about 2 years of no riding and it completely killed me!! I'm hoping to be able to push a comfortable 20 mile by winter riding time.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Retro4300 wrote:
    Just wondering what your max ride is and what distance you think you could push it to ?
    The most I have done is 50 miles and think I could push it to 60-70.

Asking out of curiousty and maybe planning a camping / biking trip.

Hi,

Have done 72 mile on road (dont cycle off road) and would like to think I could break 100 miles if I paced my self.

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • deeptheory
    deeptheory Posts: 76
    Did 62 miles on Saturday from Keswick to Rookhope on the C2C. Cycled all the hills not stopping to catch breath until at the top. I was absolutely buckled last night!
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I feel cheated if I do less than 25 miles but 40-45 is the most I've done off-road - I don't like killing myself =]

Done many 60-70 mile road rides I don't know what all the fuss is about with these roadies :P
  • stubs
    At the moment I am still knackered and aching after my saturday ride but never mind I will have forgotten the pain by next saturday when I plan to do something equally stupid :D
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mattbarnes
    mattbarnes Posts: 295
    Last August I had the misfortune of agreeing to doing 100 miles. This was a nasty route around Northumberland taking in Simonside/Harwood forest, Kielder and the England/Scotland border.
    I started well but after 50 miles I was getting fed-up, after 70 miles I was ready to throw the towel in and kill my riding partner for suggesting the idea and at the finish I wanted to die.
    It was a 70% / 30% mix of offroad and road riding and if anyone knows the area, they'll know that its all up and down. It was, without doubt, the hardest day on the bike in my life with 100.44 miles under the wheels and 9hrs 57mins and 44 secs spent in the saddle. I'll never do it again.
    I even took a photo to prove it!

www.pinkbike.com/photo/3781447/
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • Retro4300
    I think 100 miles is way too much for me at the minute or possibly ever.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    done 76 reguarly do about 46 on road with an mtb, not many off road area around here but when i find them i use them.
  • mikey0303
    mikey0303 Posts: 134
    just 10 at the moment but im sure I could do 20-25 easily ........... if the rain stops that is :roll:
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Hmmm, the summer before last, I rode almost every day from sunup-sundown, mostly jumping in the woods...

Should have fitted a odometer, it would be awesome.
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    Most ive done recently is 36 miles off road, But i usually stick to about 20 as that's the size of my regular loop, No fun killing myself is there :D
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • I'm upto between 10 on a quick ride day to 25 on a longer day, mostly on roads at the moment. I want to build up some core fitness before I even try trails, I tried a 2km bit along one ride & found it hell with slippy conditions compared to the 20 other on road I did that day. Plus with a lot of country lanes I can be away from almost all traffic whenever I want within 10 minutes
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • stubs
    I'm upto between 10 on a quick ride day to 25 on a longer day, mostly on roads at the moment. I want to build up some core fitness before I even try trails, I tried a 2km bit along one ride & found it hell with slippy conditions compared to the 20 other on road I did that day. Plus with a lot of country lanes I can be away from almost all traffic whenever I want within 10 minutes

Youll only really work on your legs and lungs riding on road. Riding off road uses a lot more and different muscles. Road riding mostly only works your leg muscles Off road you use your back, core and upper body a lot more. Thats why roadies tend to have huge calf and thigh muscles but have arms like dry twigs.

Mtb riding doesnt need huge leg muscles because we tend to just drop onto the small ring and spin up a climb. That 2 km slipping and sliding off road would have been better for you than 20 on road because it would be working all your muscles.

Try a mix of on and off road 10 of each and youll get fitter quicker also mix it up with swimming, yoga and free weight work in the gym not the machines they are useless you want to be flexible not muscle bound.

Keep up the good work :D
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Was at Coed-y-Brenin on Saturday and rode the Beast in the morning and Tarw in the afternoon. All in all it`s the best part of 60km, I don`t think I`d like to do much more of that sort of riding in one day TBH.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I've done a pretty fair share of 100(or so) milers. It's about the limit that I care to do. Seems that any more is sort of overkill and in the realm of burnout. A 100 is a good challenge and I leave it at that.
  • racefaceec90
    racefaceec90 Posts: 120
    the most i have done off road,was the salisbury plain challenge 50k,back in 2003.but in actual fact was 50 miles total,as i rode to/back to the event also.but 205miles(on road) is my biggest distance in a day,took me 15 hours 40 minutes(riding a cannondale f800 mtb,with 2.1 knobbly tyres)but that wasn't including stops,so more like 20 hours.certainly wasn't the fittest person,but just wanted to see if i could do it!!!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Rarely more than 50 if I'm out on my own, but did do > 100 on the Dartmoor Classic last month. It needs to be something non-routine for me but I think if you're doing 50-ish fairly regularly you can easily step up to bigger distances every now and again.
  • duron1
    duron1 Posts: 2,475
    I've done 135 miles in a day when I rode to Paris and back. That was on my commuter bike which is a MTb with some changes carrying 15kg of kit on my rear panniers, quite often have done over 100 mile days. I average 210 miles a week.
    Commuter: Saracen Vex '03 (Full XT drivetrain, Rockshox Tora 302 80mm, Conti Touring Plus..etc)

MTB Hardtail: Orbea Satellite - Team Colours '08 (Full XTR drivetrain, Reba Teams, XC717s - Hope Pro II, Fire XC Pro 2.1...etc).
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    In my twenties I did a couple 120 - 130 miles rides, after which i couldn;t ride for a week.

Now in my 40s - I've just completed a 165 miles ride - overnight and was still able to ride two days later.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    1,226 kilometres in 85 hours and 6 minutes, on the 2003 edition of the Paris Brest Paris.
  • Rich101
    Rich101 Posts: 30
    Most I have done on the MTB was 50 miles mixed off road and on road. I only intended to do 40 but got a bit lost at one point :oops:

I couldn't sit on the saddle anymore at the end and breathing was painful, i think i pulled my diaphragm or something. Will try to beat it one day.

More than 100 miles on a MTB in one day is just masochism, you people are crazy!
  • stubs wrote:
    I'm upto between 10 on a quick ride day to 25 on a longer day, mostly on roads at the moment. I want to build up some core fitness before I even try trails, I tried a 2km bit along one ride & found it hell with slippy conditions compared to the 20 other on road I did that day. Plus with a lot of country lanes I can be away from almost all traffic whenever I want within 10 minutes

Youll only really work on your legs and lungs riding on road. Riding off road uses a lot more and different muscles. Road riding mostly only works your leg muscles Off road you use your back, core and upper body a lot more. Thats why roadies tend to have huge calf and thigh muscles but have arms like dry twigs.

Mtb riding doesnt need huge leg muscles because we tend to just drop onto the small ring and spin up a climb. That 2 km slipping and sliding off road would have been better for you than 20 on road because it would be working all your muscles.

Try a mix of on and off road 10 of each and youll get fitter quicker also mix it up with swimming, yoga and free weight work in the gym not the machines they are useless you want to be flexible not muscle bound.

Keep up the good work :D

thanks for the info :) I'm rebuilding my leg muscles definitely, but as someone who hadn't done anything nearly as athletic for years due to health issues, i'm taking my time for sure whatever I do, don't want to overdo it and end up missing more time than I ride :)
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • CalumMac
    CalumMac Posts: 7
    the most i have done off road,was the salisbury plain challenge 50k,back in 2003.but in actual fact was 50 miles total,as i rode to/back to the event also.but 205miles(on road) is my biggest distance in a day,took me 15 hours 40 minutes(riding a cannondale f800 mtb,with 2.1 knobbly tyres)but that wasn't including stops,so more like 20 hours.certainly wasn't the fittest person,but just wanted to see if i could do it!!!

JESUS :shock: 205 miles would finish me, my max ever is about 22.5! but ive recently gotten into xc and im hoping to beat that off road :) awesome stuff btw.
    M-M-M-MANUALLL!!!

Kona Kikapu '06
  • racefaceec90
    racefaceec90 Posts: 120
    CalumMac
    believe me,if i could do it,you could too(i was certainly not a superfit rider)!!!a lot of it was thinking that you could do it,not letting the doubt in your head take over(if that makes sense?).although i had been riding my bike a lot as well!!!it's about gradually upping the distance as you get used to doing it(and your body gets accustomed to it!!!).man 22.5miles is a fair distance (there are people who will never do that on a bike,take their cars to the corner shop!!!).but i have to take my own advice as i am unfit at present(there is no way i could ride that distance,at the moment.my max is the same as yours.)hope that was some help!!! :)
  • mats
    mats Posts: 94
    A couple of weeks ago I done 20 odd miles on the road on my MTB while on Holiday, my hands, feet and Backside were killing me, due , I think, to a prettty much stationary position on the bike. I can do similiar distances off road and not feel nearly as much pain probably due to the fact I'm constantly shifting my weight about and changing position slightly depending on the conditions and terrain. So I was wondering was the pain caused solely by being on the wrong kind of bike or is there more likely some technique/bike set up issue which could help in the future.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Purely off road - 50 miles but more like 70 if you include tarmac.

Recently met some blokes who did lands end to john a groats off road (at least 2 thirds off road is possible they reckon). They often did 50 miles a day.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    100km in the beast of brecon last year, and four merida long courses (usually 80-100km)

Gavin - 1,226 kilometres in 85 hours and 6 minutes, on the 2003 edition of the Paris Brest Paris. :shock: bloody hell mate thats good going
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se