halfords employee

Comments

• fedrat
    fedrat Posts: 22
    And where are the mong's now? Gone very quiet.

Serious note tho, Halfords have some excellent (but pricy) kit and the weekday staff are very good. The weekend staff tho...................
    Also seem to have a lot of the same stock stolen. Saw the 'bikeHut/tioga' riser bars for a quid on the website. Reserved at my local store, stolen. Reserved 2 at another store miles away............. stolen, that's right both sets stolen. Reckon these'll all appear on fleaBay?
    Giant ATX 830
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    :D Best thread in a while! The whole situation is laughable in so many ways.
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    love threads like these! not had one of these since the old sandbox days. hehe

well, i also work at halfords, and sympathise with oliver. Steve is clearly overreacting; compensation is really not needed. no wonder this country is in such a shit state with everyone suing and demanding compensation for the most ridiculous of things. For pity sakes, fix the problem yourself and get on with it. OK complain to the staff and/or let them know hwat happened, but compensation is overkill.
    If the bars were turned to go in the car, as super said earlier, its quite easy to twist bars and forks the wrong way when you're trying to put them back togewther. but surely someone, ie you steve or someone you were riding with, should have noticed??
    and also if they were on the wrong way when the guy picked them up from the shop surely you should have noticed that too? if not then shush.

and the 55's on the banshee have a 20mm thru-axle, maxle stylee. not a QR :wink:
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • CdOrange
    CdOrange Posts: 2
    I 110% agree with what "Oliver1001" and "supersonic" have to say. The bars could easily have turned in transit, supersonic even took time out of his own day to prove you wrong "steveknight". So if you think you (a) know anything about bike and (b) have any common sense, I sincerely suggest that you take some time to re-think a few things.

The "young man" who you took to halfords after meeting at Cannock( :? ) who you claim doesn't know a great deal about bikes could EASILY have turned the bars the wrong way, and EVEN if he didn't, he could have figured it out because SURELY he had a look at the bike in the shop before purchasing it????

You say that "if you don't have anything to do with the issue then don't post"(or something along those lines), but if you don't care what other people have to say then why are you on here?

It's people like you who make riding a chore, people like you who make this country what it is. You demand money when money's not even the issue. I don't get it.
    That's pretty much all I have to say, so just take into account what I and a few other people have said, don't be so stubborn and admit that it wasn't halfords that messed up.
  • wemac
    wemac Posts: 91
    My brother rode his bike for over a year with the fork the wrong way round :lol:

He wouldn't believe me when I showed him the right way to have it!

I'd like to know if Stevie was present when the bike was taken from the car with the fork 'the wrong way round' or whether he's just swallowed a line from the kid :roll: :lol:

And just to reinforce what others have said: if you don't like the advice / opinions being dished out, p*ss off and use a different forum you arrogant tw*t.
    Trek Fuel EX8 09
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I didn't really want this to become a witch hunt, so will lock it soon. However I think the verdict is pretty unaminous on how forks end up this way...
  • supersonic wrote:
    I didn't really want this to become a witch hunt, so will lock it soon. However I think the verdict is pretty unaminous on how forks end up this way...

Magics?
  • fwb2006
    fwb2006 Posts: 212
    Witches??
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Magic Whitches??? :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Uri Geller?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    fwb2006 wrote:
    LOL, Mong, not heard that for years!

Not posted for a few!
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    This forum should not be used by persons who feel it is satisfactory to manufacture what they think is right based on what they are told by others.

Oh just an idea if you want to put your bike in your car take your front wheel off.

Please if you are stupid and want to show how ignorant your are you may want to reply because for some odd reason I may have hurt your feelings.

Lets get one thing straight here, this forum is not used by people who feel it satisfactory to manufacture what they think id right based on what they are told, it is used by people who may have a better tip at doing something than you do, i worked with a top level qualified mechanic yet i knew some quick tricks he didn't, what your basically trying to imply is that none of us know what we are on about because its a forum and you think you know it all, such an anal retent to know f*cking torque settings, ive ridden my dh bikes for a good few years having never used a torque wrench and survived on common sense tightening

Most people don't take their front wheel off because as someone else posted the brake can end up out of line or damage, i have a dh bike and the front wheel never comes off in the car

This guy is like Naveed :lol:had to say it
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • bailed out
    bailed out Posts: 41
    ok first of all common sense is if the fork is on backwords then change it round ur self. As for the tyre pressure check it ur damn self before u go out its not difficult take ur thumb and index finger and squeeze. if its soft then put some air in it the dude that rode the bike should have checked it before he rode it infact that should be done every ride. shock pressure is something that should have bn done in the store but it is easy to forget. as for compensation if the bike had bottomed out and the ryder had come off and got hurt because of it then fine fair enough for compensation otherwise take it back and get them to pump it up for u and then thats it job done.

As for the people at halfords i got my gt idrive from there and all that has bn wrong with it when i got it was disk calapers needed realined. (a two minute job) and the front gears cable was too loose so when changing to 3rd gear on my first shot on it the chain came off and i wound up into a hedge. But gues what steve i got my arse up and fixed it MYSELF with an allen key. job done. The staff in the berryden store in aberdeen are great espessialy ash who will do anything they can to help u out :D
  • supersonic wrote:

Holy cow supersonic I have just seen your post count.

I will do whatever you say oh great one!

Seriously. Wow and well done.
  • TomBeardsley
    TomBeardsley Posts: 150
    Steve Knight-Check it......

"Have you stubbed your toe on a lamp post or hurt your finger on a bus stop? If so, here at 'Tw@tty lawyers for Tw@ts like you Steve, we are committed to making the honest hardworking people of this rapidly downward spiraling country, pay for an accident that 'wasn't your fault'.

Go get a life Steve knight. Your post and arguments are laughable and you've too much spare time to Google torque needs for stems and what not. And I wish people like you who try scrounge every penny out of every opportunity have a big accident involving a broom stick, your a$$ and some form of bovine animal.
    "Pain is temporary, success is permanent"
  • Tom Beardsley big big hand to you sir for your awesome mocking and to you suqpersonic for your consistantly amazing tech know-how and to Steve Knight I am generally inept at making mechanical stuff work but I can tell if a fork is the wrong way round or a tyre/shock needs a little air. It takes less than 30 seconds to check pre ride (I even check before going to the shops) Steve Knight You sir are a tit! (BTW doubtimg supersonic is akin to doubting Steven Fry i.e. just not the done thing!)
    one by one my penguins will steal your sanity
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    once again a person who has no idea what went on but is willing to talk on this issue

You are calling me names lol childish to say the least

I have said this before but you are not reading.

If you are not involved in this issue then shut up you are making yourselves look stupid
    I am answering the original post from a person making a comment directed at me and from someone who was not present at the original conversation.

If you think this forum is so fantastic then you need to get a life.

This forum should not be used by persons who feel it is satisfactory to manufacture what they think is right based on what they are told by others.

I was there was you? Oh just an idea if you want to put your bike in your car take your front wheel off.

Please if you are stupid and want to show how ignorant your are you may want to reply because for some odd reason I may have hurt your feelings.

May I say that if you where at Halfords on Sat afternnon and took part in the conversation then post away but stop the bull shoot because it brings me out in a rash

Dont leave it here do another post this is becoming a great read lol :D:lol:

Tino
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I say it's not common to get a good halfords shop, the one I went to early last year and bought a Carrera bike sold me a bike compleatly the wrong size, I knew crap all about bikes then and I asked them, is this the correct size for me? They said yea, well I went to some LBS's and they where laughing saying that's like a girls bike!!!

So it was about 3 month after and I went and compliained but they where having none of it, so could not really get a refund. So on I ploded with this bike for about 5 months racking up the miles when it became noticable the brakes where coming into contact with the tyres, and I put them as low as possible and still was, turns out the breaks where the wrong breaks, I knew it for a fact, plenty of people in the club and at LBS confirmed this, I went into halfords, said this to the manager, he looked (he also had a carrera bike apparently), he said nothing wrong with those breaks they're fine. I never agrued I dont like to do it really.
  • robmanic1
    ^^^^^^ Them's the breaks I guess
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Robmanic1 wrote:

What?
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    SuperSonic, apart from your first rant, I have to say that you have posted earnestly and have conveyed concern and tried to help. You should be commended for that. It's easy to pass the buck.

Steve, you need to try decaf fella. However, you do have some case as Halfords should deliver to thier current advertising regieme - 'Every bike is checked...'

(Sh*t, what am I doing? Trying to placate both adversaries? Ahem..)

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    i require front row seats and large coke and popcorn.

heheheh :lol:
  • fwb2006
    fwb2006 Posts: 212
    freehub wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

What?

LOL, just when I thought it was going to be yet another boring Friday afternoon in work.

(Large Starbucks Latte to watch with)
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    In defence of Mr S. Knight....... perhaps not, I would not be able to take the ridicule :oops: I will keep quite.
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • Tino4444
    freehub wrote:
    I say it's not common to get a good halfords shop, the one I went to early last year and bought a Carrera bike sold me a bike compleatly the wrong size, I knew crap all about bikes then and I asked them, is this the correct size for me? They said yea, well I went to some LBS's and they where laughing saying that's like a girls bike!!!

So it was about 3 month after and I went and compliained but they where having none of it, so could not really get a refund. So on I ploded with this bike for about 5 months racking up the miles when it became noticable the brakes where coming into contact with the tyres, and I put them as low as possible and still was, turns out the breaks where the wrong breaks, I knew it for a fact, plenty of people in the club and at LBS confirmed this, I went into halfords, said this to the manager, he looked (he also had a carrera bike apparently), he said nothing wrong with those breaks they're fine. I never agrued I dont like to do it really.

When I got my old bike from Halfords last year (Carrera Subway 2) I was handed an Apollo instruction manual and told that they did not have one for the Carrera but its all the same thing really!! :shock:

Tino
  • robmanic1
    freehub wrote:
    Robmanic1 wrote:

What?

Sorry fella, the pedant on my shoulder, it's brakes not breaks. It's my issue,not yours. :wink:

• clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    Tino4444 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

When I got my old bike from Halfords last year (Carrera Subway 2) I was handed an Apollo instruction manual and told that they did not have one for the Carrera but its all the same thing really!! :shock:

Tino
    thing is, if you've read both of them, they actually are. Things are wprded differently and they have a different cover. Even my specialized mqnual can be applied to any bike.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Tino4444
    clarkson wrote:
    Tino4444 wrote:
    freehub wrote:

Tino
    thing is, if you've read both of them, they actually are. Things are wprded differently and they have a different cover. Even my specialized mqnual can be applied to any bike.

These two bikes were totally different. Different brakes etc......I was not very impressed!

Tino
  • Phil21
    Phil21 Posts: 2
    oliver1001 wrote:
    yes i work at halfords, on the bike dept, and am proud to do so. why do we have so many bad connotations?
    Something to do with the people who work there generally being idiots I believe.
    The fact that one of them would undo the stem to get the bike in the back of a car instead of removing the front wheel pretty much proves that point...

Went in my local branch (Sutton in Ashfield) a couple of weeks ago as I needed a T25 late in the evening to swap my discs over. Of course they didn't have anything in stock apart from a stupidly expensive multi-tool, no real surprise there. I had the wheels in the car so I asked at the cycle counter if they had a T25 and could remove the disc for me, yup no problem. Just one thing, could I come back another time because he doesn't know how to do it...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    "The fact that one of them would undo the stem to get the bike in the back of a car instead of removing the front wheel pretty much proves that point... "

Why do people have a problem with this? In can be a quick and easy solution to create more space as has been pointed out many times in this thread.