halfords employee

Comments

• Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Does anybody else find it unusual how these two guys happened to find each other on an internet forum?

Not really, the Halfords chap posted here (Oliver), and the customer's friend (SteveKnight)posted his story on the local mountain biking forum. Via the power of forum cross pollination, they found each other. Huzzah!

Obviously the only people that will know exactly what happened are the ones directly involved. I don't think it's particularly wise for shop employees to start an account to make negative threads about customers on widely read forums, particularly about situations that are still being looked into. No matter how annoying or frustrating a customer is, that kind of behaviour can come back to bite you on the arse.

There could be numerous explanations:

The Halfords guys did everything correctly, told the guy that the stem had to be slackened to get it in the vehicle. Doesn't explain the shock/tyre pressure issues though

The Halfords guys did everything correctly, but failed to tell the guy he'd have to sort his stem after getting it out of the vehicle. Doesn't explain the shock/tyre pressure issues though

The Halfords guys ballsed up the assembly of the bike and failed to set it up properly

The customer didn't know what he was doing and didn't set up the bike properly/cocked up the set up, and it now after money

Quite frankly, could be any of the above, but given my own numerous experiences of Halfords, I'd never dismiss the possibility they completely ballsed up. Can't blame SteveKnight (although he does come across as being a bit compensation hungry ;)) for being hacked off, if I was a disgruntled customer (or friend of one), and found out there had been a thread made on a public forum having a go at me, I'd be a bit peeved too.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    edited July 2009
    supersonic wrote:
    wrong.jpg

I understand the context, but I'm saving this photo for next time we have a disagreement on some sort of bike maintenance, preferably XT hubs. :P

Back on topic, both have come across as victims really. I guess it's all down to whether the stem was loosened off or not and whether there was air in the shock. I genuinely wouldn't expect compensation were it me tho, I'd curse those crazy kids and get them to fix it. Usually when I buy new bikes the cranks fall off, I say usually, from new, only the Meta's cranks have stayed on unaltered. :) On the Avalanche they fell off on the initial ride home.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Whether it's the odd store or not though, in my opinion Halfords deserve the bad rep they've earned themselves though. They blantently have some issues with recruiting idiots in a few stores, I've personally never spoken to bike mechanics as ignorant and lacking in passion as those in my local branch. They're such a big chain though it really doesn't matter, quantity over quality all the way. The Boardman and Carrera bikes are fantastic value, it's a shame the staff pretty much devalue any brand their shop will agree to sell, look at Kona for a good example.

It's quite clear why most brands refuse to let Halfords sell their bikes, yet they let Leisure Lakes, Evans etc?
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    Mrs Toast wrote:

The customer didn't know what he was doing and didn't set up the bike properly/cocked up the set up, and it now after money

He had to be the one to tighten the bolts right. Should ahve noticed it or got someone to do it for him.

On another note...would anyone else be a little worried if some angry man took it upon himself to take your son/daughter back to a shop to complain about anything they'd bought?
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Nik_B wrote:
    Mrs Toast wrote:

He had to be the one to tighten the bolts right. Should ahve noticed it or got someone to do it for him.

On another note...would anyone else be a little worried if some angry man took it upon himself to take your son/daughter back to a shop to complain about anything they'd bought?

From what I can gather, the guy who'd bought the bike from Halfords was a friend of the guy who took him back to complain.

It seems the issue is that Halfords said that they deliberately slackened the stem to get the bike in the car, but the customer alleges to have been unaware of that, and that there were also other issues.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    Please if you are stupid and want to show how ignorant your are you may want to reply because for some odd reason I may have hurt your feelings.
    Not hurt my feelings, but I am definitely stupid :D
    Just really wanted to say something so I can be recognised for my stupidity.
    *Sits back and watches with popcorn*
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    now, im no fancy big town lawyer, but it sounds to me like all that was required was for the bike owner to turn the bars correctly, tighten the bolts, put some air in his shock and decide whether he needed more than 25psi in his tyres.

why didnt he just do these simple tasks (which any mong could do) and then ride his bike instead of being lead to a shop by another mong?

ps, you're a mong.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i might have figured the fork thing out, the bike owner might have mis read the manufacturer stickersorz and thought he was the proud owner of a manitou.
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Well said monseur sheepsteeth.

There appears to be one muppet in this post, who maybe needs to go to both anger management and bicyle maintenance classes :D
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Steveknight, the forefront of bicycle knowledge. We can all learn a lesson here lads...
  • bobagg
    bobagg Posts: 24
    Mike wrote:
    Steveknight, the forefront of bicycle knowledge. We can all learn a lesson here lads...

Lol. He's a hero amongst men. I bet he wears a cape.

edit: If the bike wasnt to satisfaction, taking it back and getting it fixed would have been enough. Some form of compensation would have helped ease the pain (free tube, pump, multi tool, whatever). If the young dude got his money back, i dont see why he should get anything else. The issue is over. IMO, requesting a refund is a bit harsh, the bike could easily have been corrected. It sounds as if it wasnt mechanically unsound.
  • fwb2006
    fwb2006 Posts: 212
    LOL, Mong, not heard that for years!
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    You are joking right?

A bike is a safety critical item which means that getting it wrong can be dangerous, thats a fact. A simple apoligy and some compensation will sort this out.

And we wonder why our country is in such a state.... why compensation? Has there been an accident? has this chap lost out financially... get a bl@@dy life pal, compensation isn't the answer here.
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • fred1star
    How about doing what so many other people do, get a rack to transport your bike. No more removing wheels or slackening stems. Does make the car drink a bit more fuel though :(

I hear Halfords do a good line of bike racks... :wink:
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    hehehe guys i think you should break this little girl like rant up. if you dont like halfords go somewhere else like: evans cycles, chain reactioncycles, or leisure lakes.

but if you like halfords continue to shop there.

end of! :roll:
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    Let me get this right, someone buys a bike and obviously looks it over before deiciding they want it. Halfords build the bike and i guess when the siad person comes to pick it up the handle bars (that were loosed to fit in the car) were tight and the forks were on the right way round.............well they must have been as surely you wouldnt accept the bike because you would have surely checked it over before you took it from the shop RIGHT !!!?

I could possibly understand that the rear shock may not have had enough air in but to winge about an under inflated tyre - come on your having a laugh rght, you should have checked that before you took it out for your first ride !!!!!

So who's at fault here then................YOU SHOULD HAVE CHECKED THE BIKE BEFORE YOU TOOK IT HOME !
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • drummondjhn
    drummondjhn Posts: 175
    teulk wrote:
    Let me get this right, someone buys a bike and obviously looks it over before deiciding they want it. Halfords build the bike and i guess when the siad person comes to pick it up the handle bars (that were loosed to fit in the car) were tight and the forks were on the right way round.............well they must have been as surely you wouldnt accept the bike because you would have surely checked it over before you took it from the shop RIGHT !!!?

I could possibly understand that the rear shock may not have had enough air in but to winge about an under inflated tyre - come on your having a laugh rght, you should have checked that before you took it out for your first ride !!!!!

So who's at fault here then................YOU SHOULD HAVE CHECKED THE BIKE BEFORE YOU TOOK IT HOME !

well said :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    I've had my Boardman Team/FS (I was foolish enough to let Halfords build it) for a little over a week now and only done one big ride. Today I got it out as i finnished work early and noticed the R/H pedal had been cross threaded on.

This has destoyed the threads on the crank arm.

I took the bike to the nearest Halfords and they instantly ordered a new crank for it and gave me £25 in vouchers.

Yet again they proved the workmanship is shoddy but at least they do try to make it up.

I now have a shiney new shock pump for the hassel.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    I've had my Boardman Team/FS (I was foolish enough to let Halfords build it) for a little over a week now and only done one big ride. Today I got it out as i finnished work early and noticed the R/H pedal had been cross threaded on.

This has destoyed the threads on the crank arm.

I took the bike to the nearest Halfords and they instantly ordered a new crank for it and gave me £25 in vouchers.

Yet again they proved the workmanship is shoddy but at least they do try to make it up.

I now have a shiney new shock pump for the hassel.
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • fatlad
    fatlad Posts: 105
    Hi Oliver this is for you at Halfords

I am the chap who brought the bike back with the young lad on sat.

Just so you all know what happened.

You
    1. Put the forks on backwards
    2. No air in rear shock
    3. Low air in rear tyre

That means the wheel was on backwards as well as for the excuse that you loosened
    the bars to get it in the car and your excuse that it moved round the wrong way in transit
    is a joke right? You are saying that you built this bike and you are pround?

Halfords according to their adverts go that bit extra and their bikes have a full safety check does this check include the above?

What you should do is apoligise and the mangegment should offer this young lad some form of compensation. He knows very little about bikes and put his safety in your hands. he could have had a serious accident, this is not a joke. Trading standards is the way I would take it

I hope you fall off your bike and land in dog poo. Backwards.
    If you dont ride in the rain, you dont ride
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I have read this thread... and it's great :D

I agree with sheepsteeth too. Mong :D
  • lol classic thread!

That Steve guy comes across as a right plank. no offence like!
  • fred1star
    I love threads like this too..... a little agro for the sole is good. Have not had a good debate like this since the footpath/cycling/rights of way thread....

And yes, I did spit coffee out over my computer at work and let out a bit of wee after reading sheepteeths comments.. :lol:
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    +1
    teulk wrote:

• gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    I bought an inner tube from Halfords once - I took it back and demanded compensation as when I fitted it to my bike there was no air in it!!!

Outrageous!!!

Thing is when I ordered one from elsewhere, that didnt have any air in it either... 8)
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I bought a Decathlon Rockrider 2 years ago.

First ride, I did quite a fast downhill run about 1/2 a mile long (not 'that' downhill, but just a fairly quick downward gradient).

At the bottom I lifted the readr end to swing the bike round and pedal up again.....the back wheel fell out of the stays.

Had this happened at full tilt, I'd have got pretty mashed up. As it was, I was fine.

Guess what id did?

Go on, have a guess.........?

I put the friggin wheel back in the stays and tightened the QR.

That was it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Why?

Cos I probably should have checked it before I rode it. Yes, Decathlon effed up, but it was hardly a biggie in the end.

Steve. In a way, championing this lads cause is admirable. The problem is, HE should have known his forks were facing the wrong way (however that happened). If he didn't, he shouldn't have been let loose in a bike shop on his own.

As for poor pressures, again, a quick check would have sufficed.

As it turns out, you wasted time and effort in taking back and giving Halfords grief. 5 mins with a pump and allen key, plus a bit of maintenance coaching for our young mong, and all would be well.
  • ol\'gregg
    ol\'gregg Posts: 612
    I was there was you? Oh just an idea if you want to put your bike in your car take your front wheel off.

'I was there, were you?'

sorry it was bugging me..
    gochel chan ddynion i mewn blew beisiau achos hwy cadernid bod eirth
  • gcwebbyuk
    gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
    ol\'gregg wrote:
    I was there was you? Oh just an idea if you want to put your bike in your car take your front wheel off.

'I was there, were you?'

sorry it was bugging me..

I was itching to say that too.... I nearly got the red teacher's pen out too