Whats the best training regime for a ten mile TT

Hengistpod
Hengistpod Posts: 9
edited August 2009 in Training, fitness and health
Hi All,

I need a wee bit of help please.

I have been cycling for three years now, mainly with mates and on my own.

I recently entered the my first sportive at the etape caledonia ( got two punctures ) and came in at 368 ( 4 hrs 11 mins ) and really suprised my self with my time and speed.

Since then i have packed in the fags and have got a lot faster and fitter and a wee bit slimmer

I recently did 10 miles in 27 mins 22 secs on my new enigma effusion, am I good enough to go in for a ten mile tt race and how do I train for it. I'm 38 and 13 stone ish.

:D

Comments

• Anyone is good enough to ride a 10-mile TT. It's a race between you and the clock and I'd be very surprised if you were not encouraged to have a go by any club that organises a local 10-miler.

22mph / 35km/h is not exactly slow for a newer rider.

As for training, well that's a combination of:
    - riding more
    - including some harder efforts in your riding, in and around 10-mile TT pace
  • starseven
    starseven Posts: 112
    Hi

It took me a month of regular practice to get under 30 minutes. If you look at some club times published on line you'll see 27 minutes is actually pretty good.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Hengistpod wrote:

I recently did 10 miles in 27 mins 22 secs on my new enigma effusion, am I good enough to go in for a ten mile tt race and how do I train for it. I'm 38 and 13 stone ish.

:D

I'm 38 and 14 stone myself.

Been doing club 10's for the past 2 years. Started off around 28 minutes. Just did the last one at 23-18. But went from a regular road bike to a TT bike.

Anyway - my point is that your time will depend a lot on the course and conditions on the day. Some courses are hillier and harder than others.

I found the best training is just doing them! Beyond that - I did interval training. 10 minutes of flat out effort, a few minutes off and then repeat.

And lastly - you go faster on the day (with a number on your back) then you ever will in training on your own!
  • It is amazing what adrenalin and a number on your back does to your focus and determination, clocked a 25.17 in my first proper 10 mile tt, knocking two mins off my practice pb..... :D
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Add some caffeine to that focus and adrenalin and you might go under 25 minutes! It got me down from 25:56 to 25:16 in just seven days.

Many Thanks, Waitrose of Formby :D