Positive Halfords Experience!!! (with sexy pics)

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Thery haven't been the lightest frames over the years. My ID4 wasn't too bad at 6.3lbs with shock, and older 5 inchers topped 7lbs. I would estimate this one to be between 7 and 8 lbs.

Sounds a lot, but then again the whole bike is cheaper than many frames...
  • k2rider wrote:
    crank wasnt aligned?? is there just me that finds this odd?
    I've had constant creaking from my Giant ATX 1100 that a replacement bottom bracket hasn't done anything to cure, so I'm willing to believe anything if it leads to a cure. :|
  • supersonic
    As above, could be one of several things.

Try Park Tools or our FAQ for a guide on diagnosing noises.
  • fred2003
    fred2003 Posts: 110
    Ive had 2 i-drives my first was an 2003 i-drive 4 which never made a noise to my knowledge but...my 2003 i-drive expert was the creak machine, as most have said already bb pedal chainring bolts chainset etc was all checked and most replaced with little or no benefit. Turn out the i-drive unit itself (the big ole unit the bb goes into) was the reason behind it. I removed the bolts the stop the outer ring from turning and turned the inner ring to the next peg and re-fitted the the retaining bolts and all creaking stopped there.
    Im not sure if the newer models use the same i-drive unit but if your up to the job just give it a try and you may be suprised.
    I think the i-drive 4 had an alloy system where the expert had carbon if im not mistaken, my neighbour still has my expert in his back garden rotting as the rear section shock mount snapped from a hit n run, he was trying to get someone to weld it back up but failed to find anyone. I had only ridden it from new for 2-3 weeks before the accident but as it was an 03 model i bought NOS in 08 i couldnt get anything done via the usual way.
    Hope this helps, Fred.
    If you cant race it, and you can't take it to bed, what is the point?
  • fred2003
    fred2003 Posts: 110
    Just check the pics again and ignore my previous post...that is nothing like the old setup :S
    If you cant race it, and you can't take it to bed, what is the point?
  • littlebear
    littlebear Posts: 92

In what way as it not alinged.... you either have the spacers fitted incorrectly or the cranks or frame are NFG!
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    littlebear wrote:

In what way as it not alinged.... you either have the spacers fitted incorrectly or the cranks or frame are NFG!

Like i said before i'm not sure...but as it's under warranty, the work has to be done at Halfords and part of me expected them to diagnose and fix it.

GT themselves are still using the idrive system so although mine is a Halfords only bike i cant see there being anything inherently wrong with the setup itself.

I'll see how it goes and if it gets noisy again i've no choice but to take it back whilst it's in warranty.
  • supersonic
    could have been a poorly aligned spider, bent axle etc. Gt supply halfords with the frames.