Manly Pursuits...

Comments

• pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Perhaps we should have a Bikeradar Fight Club? If we take it easy on each other it would be a dead easy way of getting Bikeradar CPD points.

Sshhhh. There is a Bikeradar Fight Club, it's just that you're not supposed to mention it...
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    dmclite wrote:
    Manly things I have done.

1. Killed and ate a rabbit.
    2. Abseiled out a helicopter.
    3. Changed a clutch on a car.
    4. Hole in one at mini-golf.
    5. Piggy-backed a 5 year old all the way from Llanberis to top of Snowdon.
    6. Fixed the house plumbing.

Number 5 is just cruel ... that little 5 year old must have been knackered!!
  • pottssteve
    Other manly things I've done:

1. Helped a man who was being mugged (I hit like a girl)
    2. Had sunstroke, 3 times
    3. Put up the bathroom shelves (and they haven't fallen down yet)

Though technically I think 1 and 2 are just stupid, rather than macho...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Shes little but she is strong.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    CHRISNOIR wrote:
    ‘Manly’ things I’ve never done…

1. Have a fight as an adult.
    2. Visit a Strip Club.
    3. Do a poo in the great outdoors.
    4. Score a three-way.
    5. Chop down a tree - with an axe.

I may try to do them all before the end of the year. It’ll be one hell of a night…

What ‘manly’ things have you yet to do? And do you feel slightly sad for wanting to do them? Not that I do... ahem.

Grrr…

1: No
    2: No
    3: lots of times - what else do you do if you're wild camping?
    4: No
    5: No

So I guess I'm not very manly.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    pottssteve wrote:
    Other manly things I've done:

1. Helped a man who was being mugged (I hit like a girl)
    2. Had sunstroke, 3 times
    3. Put up the bathroom shelves (and they haven't fallen down yet)

Though technically I think 1 and 2 are just stupid, rather than macho...

I've extended the bathroom into the room next door to make it 2 foot bigger and fitted a complete new bathroom this year. I didn't do the tiling but my shelves are still up :D

The only 'fight' I've had as an adult was when a guy stepped in front of me one night and informed me that he wanted my money and my phone. This guy was, at the most, 5 n a half feet tall and weighed less than a sack of spuds. I'm 6ft 5 and over 17 stone.

I only hit him once.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Firecrakka
    Firecrakka Posts: 81
    I'm guessing trimming the hedges doesn't count huh?
    I need to go cut down a tree, pronto.
    When I do.... will I get a free tshirt or something?
  • Manly things eh, let me think...............................................

Rode a 125cc bike over 1000 miles to Aviemore & back when I was 17,

Stripped down and rebuilt a Triumph Bonneville and then commuted 20,000 miles in 12 months on it,

Driven a Porsche 911 around the Nurburgring,

Out drank Hells Angels several times,

Been clay pigeon shooting,

Slept rough loads after missing the last train from concerts all around the country in the '80's

Had a beer with Lemmy after climbing over the fence to the guest enclosure at Knebworth,

Slept on the shore rocks in Angelsey during a storm with only a silver foil 'blanket' for cover,

Sat outside having breakfast when it was -5 C last winter during a MTB ride,

Been arrested,

Caught a trout & cooked it,

Driven at 182 mph,

Done the fighting, strip club, pooing out doors & axeing trees down too. :wink:

Trekhead will remember most of these and add a few too, no doubt, lol.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    Manly things eh, let me think...............................................

Rode a 125cc bike over 1000 miles to Aviemore & back when I was 17,

Stripped down and rebuilt a Triumph Bonneville and then commuted 20,000 miles in 12 months on it,

Driven a Porsche 911 around the Nurburgring,

Out drank Hells Angels several times,

Been clay pigeon shooting,

Slept rough loads after missing the last train from concerts all around the country in the '80's

Had a beer with Lemmy after climbing over the fence to the guest enclosure at Knebworth,

Slept on the shore rocks in Angelsey during a storm with only a silver foil 'blanket' for cover,

Sat outside having breakfast when it was -5 C last winter during a MTB ride,

Been arrested,

Caught a trout & cooked it,

Driven at 182 mph,

Done the fighting, strip club, pooing out doors & axeing trees down too. :wink:

Trekhead will remember most of these and add a few too, no doubt, lol.

Gentlemen, I believe we have a winner.....
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    Hey fatblokefromwarwick
    yeah I remember most of them.
    I`ll have to think carefully about all the other stuff we`ve got up to - as much of it is HIGHLY illegal :wink:
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • trekhead wrote:
    Hey fatblokefromwarwick
    yeah I remember most of them.
    I`ll have to think carefully about all the other stuff we`ve got up to - as (ALLEGEDLY) much of it is HIGHLY illegal :wink:

:lol::lol::lol:
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    It took me nearly six years to talk the wife into a three-way but she eventually agreed.

The following day I came home only to find her in bed with two of my mates......

...I thank you!

Bob
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I think I'm falling short on the manometer. Things which prove I have some testosterone coursing through my body are:

1. I have a drill which came with a demolition kit rather than standard drill bits.
    2. I only buy power tools which are advertised as 'industrial'. They are impossible to use safely, or indeed practically, for the job in hand.
    3. I used to drive a car which had a 4 litre V8, was made of plastic and weighed as much as a paper bag. It had no driver aids and belched fire.
    4. I believe there is no finer scent known to mankind than partially-burned hydrocarbons
    5. I got t-boned by a car last week. I smashed the windscreen and dented the bonnet but was completely undamaged myself. Ergo, I am stronger than a car.
    6. In my old job, I stayed up three nights in a row to get a deal done. Instead of going to bed as soon as it completed, I stayed up another 12 hours to celebrate.
  • trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    fatblokefromwarwick
    when you say `axeing trees` are you on about the time you tried to take one of my trees down at 3:00 AM with your guitar? :lol:
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I've gone swimming in a lake just a week or two after the ice had melted. It's actually colder then than when it is covered in ice.

Run 7km to my girlfriend's house in the Slovak midwinter - snow and -20 degrees.

Er, that's about it really. In an alternative reality manliness is measured by willingness to get cold for no real reason, and I am king of all that is two-legged.
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    I once broke a twig with one hand , grrrrrr
  • Stewie Griffin
    Stewie Griffin Posts: 4,330
    I have used a knife as a screwdriver to open a plug. I have done 3 of the original 5 rights of passage, unfortunately number 4 remains an unfulfilled dream. Still plenty of time though 8) .
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    I grew a beard..

Drove to alpe d'huez in a mini..stopping only for petrol

Had a poo outdoors and got caught by two women

Drank whisky...straight

gutted a fish

picked up a spider

plastered a ceiling

Carried a king size matress up a flight of stairs

Releived lots of ladies of their smalls :)
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Can I be exempted from doing a poo outdoors please?

I've got such a hairy arse crack, and I often do sticky ones. It takes me up to 5 minutes to wipe it all clean afterwards, so I hate to think what I'd do with that combination if it happened.
  • Anonymous
    I have also,

Tuned and programmed a video recorder.

Ate cold baked beans.

Fell drunkenly asleep between girlfriend and her nice brunette friend before anything happened. I was gutted.

rescued a family by pushing their pedalo off a bank they were stuck on at Centerparcs.
  • trekhead wrote:
    fatblokefromwarwick
    when you say `axeing trees` are you on about the time you tried to take one of my trees down at 3:00 AM with your guitar? :lol:

HA HA HA HA :lol:

We found fragments of guitar on your front lawn for months after!

great party 8)
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Fastlad wrote:

How bizarre. I tried exactly that on Sunday morning. COnsequently, I have done something very bad to my back. Chapeau.

Ow.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Fastlad wrote:
    I grew a beard..

Drove to alpe d'huez in a mini..stopping only for petrol

Had a poo outdoors and got caught by two women

Drank whisky...straight

gutted a fish

picked up a spider

plastered a ceiling

Releived lots of ladies of their smalls :)

So did I (from Cornwall) but in a Saxo! Mates run l'Underground bar.

A few more:
      Briefly 4th in UK for my weight kickboxing Won an off road tri Rowed our speedboat 2 miles up a river when the engine died - at 11pm Stopped three lads nicking a bike and chased them away Saved people from drowning when lifeguarding (beach) Passed a Royal Marines POC and AIB Taught people to drive off road in work Landies Got a record score in an APWT (Army - shooting an SA80) Set fire to myself - semi on purpose but it was a lot worse than planned Got screwdrivered and didn't die Almost drowned surfing - blacked out and everything Had hypothermia and didn't die Ran three miles in barefeet at the weekend (drunk stag do, got stranded) In a demolition team that took down an office - I shifted 8-10 tonnes of concrete by hand/wheelbarrow every day. Benched 150kgs Bedded two different girls in one night and snogged several more. Ate a phall
  • Anonymous
    Passed P company.
  • Of the original 5:
    1 Managed to avoid that
    2 A few times
    3 There is a piece of Poland that will be forever mine!
    4 Despite my best efforts - no
    5 Yes

My favourites:

single seater racing
    kick started an XT500
    helmed a 108' dredger
    sailed across the channel
    windsurfed in a force 10 storm
    skiied a big black run by accident
    I own a welder and a lathe - can't do much with either :lol:
  • pottssteve
    And,

Held a 3m long reticulated python.

Split up with one g/f and got another the same afternoon.

Pulled the head off a live pigeon*

*Before PETA come knocking, I'd like to clarify that I found it in a car park. It had been run over and had, as far as I could tell, 2 broken wings, a broken leg and internal injuries. It was a mercy killing...
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I gate-crashed the centenary Tour de France and rode an entire alpine descent between groups of riders.
  • Anonymous
    Drank blood from a cobra in Thailand.
  • Firecrakka
    Firecrakka Posts: 81
    I lived in the Australian outback for a few years as a jackaroo.
    Sleeping under the stars with all the animals that could possibly kill me.
    Joined the military and got to shoot at people I didn't know, who shot back, possibly trying to kill me. Stood in the middle of the oppositions fans during a football grandfinal with my colours worn proudly, I thought they were going to kill me.

Ok, maybe I am suicidal rather then manly?
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    I just watch Bear Grylls on TV and take notes. :wink: