Cavendish, Lance likes him doesnt he?
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I'd rather it was Caddyshack.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    drumon wrote:
    Cavendish, Lance likes him doesnt he?

I can't see it myself. Cavendish wants to be no.1 in which ever team he's in.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They will be a team for targeting GCs, going for sprint victories gets in the way of this.
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    RadioShack?? Whoever joins had better make sure they get better contracts than RadioShack's employees:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2007/biz ... 07/27.html

[/b]
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Let's get the obvious joke out of the way.
    Lance and Bruyneel shacked up together again. :oops:
    Right:
    Leipheimer
    Horner
    Chechu
    Poppy
    Hincapie
    FLandis
    Berto.....Heras, that is.

Bobby Jul, Kev Livingston and Eki to come out of retirement.

Chris Carmichael as marketing manager.
    Micky Ferrari team doctor/passport control officer.
    Robin Williams, Team Twitter script writer.
    Tyler Hamilton to get an assistant DS's licence, under his twin's name, Tyla.
    Mattie Mcconnaughey as Lance personal sognieur/masseuse

Oh and Patrick Swayze as the doping deflector.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    So putting together a list of his mates?

Basso?
    Didn't Gerrans (who should have so been at the tour) spend the few weeks following the giro training with Lance and Levi?
    Defo Popo they frickin love the guy.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    It's always a good thing when another sponsor JOINS cycling instead of leaving it!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    They have outlets in Mexico. Maybe Rasmussen would be a good fit? His ban ends on Saturday.
  • donrhummy
    Interesting from the release: Lance will be on the team as a runner, cyclist and triathlete. Maybe he's not trying to win the TDF next year?

So...does this deal mean I can finally buy an SRM at radioshack? :D
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    is CERA to be co-sponsor at Caddyshack
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    didnt they used to be tandy in the uk?

sold a right load of sh1te :shock:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Surprised no one has commented that the video was posted on the .com site.

As in not the charity, but the one that swells his bank account.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Simon Gerrans? ANd maybe Hincapie if he can get him... Definitely Taylor Phinney, and maybe some of the other Trek Livestrong U23 team riders too

Not Cavendish. He has said as long as Columbia is the strongest team, he'll stay there
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2009
    They've already signed the team.
    Here is the proof. See their first squad meet.
    Hog,(dig his mouth organ) and the boys, at team HQ, planning a Shack attack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMuH_4PiIoM

LMAO!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    Surprised no one has commented that the video was posted on the .com site.

As in not the charity, but the one that swells his bank account.

Somertimes I get the feeling that you don't like Lance because he's rich? Unless you have taken vows of poverty I doubt you(like me), would complain a lot if your own bank account swelled a little. :wink::wink:
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Have to admit, Lance does make me smile :D - racing for Astana, at the sharp end of the tour, and he's busy making public declarations, plans for the future, new schemes etc etc etc - the man's a legend :D
  • donrhummy wrote:
    It's always a good thing when another sponsor JOINS cycling instead of leaving it!

Yeah, as long as the money keeps rolling in everythings cool right?
    \'You Come At the King,You Best Not Miss\'
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Who's going then?

If Bertie C declines to ride with them I'm sure I would be one of the first names on the list to replace him.

In fact, with with my current form I'm sure I'd give him a good run up the Ventoux :shock:
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:

Somertimes I get the feeling that you don't like Lance because he's rich? Unless you have taken vows of poverty I doubt you(like me), would complain a lot if your own bank account swelled a little. :wink::wink:

Not at all. I've met people with a lot more money than Lance and I'm a capitalist myself.

Isn't it interesting though that the comeback under the guise of Livestrong is about cancer. But the announcement of a new team is on the website which isn't the cancer one but the money making one.
  • thamacdaddy
    edited July 2009
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Not at all. I've met people with a lot more money than Lance and I'm a capitalist myself.

Isn't it interesting though that the comeback under the guise of Livestrong is about cancer. But the announcement of a new team is on the website which isn't the cancer one but the money making one.

As someone who actually works in interactive design for companies that attract the same level of traffic what kind of money do you think they make?

Internet advertising returns are minimal at best, even for large traffic sites, and a site serving video content such as this will actually cost a minimum equal to what it might earn in advertising as teh traffic serving goes up the more bandwidth you use and should your hosting not cover that additional charges from datacentres are massive. If anything they are doing the organization a favour not hosting their video content on the same server in case of increase costs. Of course with increased traffic they can charge advertisers more when the contracts come along for negotiation but in my experience of what these sites can earn it usually just about covers the cost.

For example google bought youtube for a huge figure a few years back. Youtube carries advertisers however it has never since they purchased it raised a profit for google, in fact hosting costs and bandwidth as the service got more popular are causing quite a predicament for the google guys.
    http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid ... 14/1630239

But that all is mute all the video content has always been hosted on that site not just this one.

So I think its something not really worth noting as some signal that Lance is the devil incarnate.
  • iainf72
    Oh I know, but it's driving up traffic to the site and people might spend some cash subscribing to daily plate or whatever.

People are clearly thinking they're hitting something to do with cancer but they're not.

It's a funny situation with a for profit and not for profit having exactly the same name.
  • thamacdaddy
    I am not sure it is though. Most of the products are livestrong related i.e. app store livestrong apps blackberry with livestrong apps etc. Its cross selling and works on both counts, the sponsors make their money and Livestrong raise their profile allowing them to get their message out. Its good marketing strategy and less about money and more about raising profile.

All the way through the tour videos have been on this site and I for one visit it often and haven't yet bought anything, however if I did I wouldn't have been "Fooled" into something I didn't want or make the choice to buy. Surely the profits go back into the foundation (as you can't pass off a foundation as a way to make money personally) and so any profits they do make is good for the foundation? How is this wrong?

I guess rather than conjecture though might worth bringing up their end of year and see if Lance takes a nice big chunk from their earnings ;)
  • iainf72
    Surely the profits go back into the foundation (as you can't pass off a foundation as a way to make money personally) and so any profits they do make is good for the foundation? How is this wrong?

Looking at the FAQ

A: LIVESTRONG.COM is the definitive health, fitness and lifestyle destination. Launched in summer 2008, LIVESTRONG.COM's mission is to help people take charge of their life by providing a full 360 degree view on diet and nutrition, fitness, personal and health-related topics. At the center is My Dares, which helps our members achieve everyday victories. The website is a partnership between Lance Armstrong, Demand Media and the Lance Armstrong Foundation

Lance owns most of Demand Media too.

So I expect a lot of it goes into his pocket. Nothing wrong with that as long as people are informed I guess.
  • thamacdaddy
    Yeah but the partnership isn't explained is it? For example I know top end sites can go for say 100k+ build prices, and iphone apps can cost anything from 20k upwards on build. The profit from the app itself could be contracted to return solely to the foundation or to both on the back of the fact that demand provided the build and the website work as a partnership for shared profits. Regardless that he owns it doesn't mean he will get 100% of the profits right? work still gotta be paid for and staff and companies still gotta be run right.

You defo have a point his return does increase his personal wealth I am sure but it can't be denied he has raised Livestrong profile and there is zero wrong with their message. I think a lot of charities can be looked at this way for example race for life costs cancer awareness to produce all the t shirts and gubbins and surely that takes away from raising money for cancer research but then again raising profile will always have a financial cost.

Would be a interesting thing to see some actual facts and figures on and not just conjecture see if he really is a basteward :)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    On the charity and money:
    The Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF), founded by the champion bicyclist and cancer survivor of the same name, is celebrating its 10-year anniversary this year. Wouldn’t you think a charity that receives massive publicity for having one of the most popular causes and most admired celebrities as the face of the organization would be able to easily raise lots of money? Unfortunately this is not the case. LAF spent as much as $45 to raise each $100, exceeding AIP’s 35% recommended fundraising ceiling by a significant margin. While LAF had difficulty raising contributions efficiently, it did prove to be a savvy merchandise marketer. LAF sold over $24 million in merchandise, including the ubiquitous yellow “LIVESTRONG” wristband, as well as clothing, sports gear and even dog leashes. Yet after spending $10 million in solicitation costs, the group brought in only $22 million in contributions, according to AIP’s analysis of LAF’s 2005 financial statements.
    - http://www.charitywatch.org/

Make of that what you will.
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    i'd love to see big GH ride for them. I thought Ekkie was already out of retirement and with Astana?

What would a full 9 man US team look like? I'm not that familiar with nationalaties
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Take all this to Bloomberg. Let's keep it a cycling forum
  • blazing_saddles
    Harry Hill wrote:
    What would a full 9 man US team look like?

Very old. :wink:
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy wrote:

Yeah, as long as the money keeps rolling in everythings cool right?

No, but without it, we lose our (sorry, I don't know if you agree) my favorite sport. And that money keeps pro cyclists earning a living and helps fund more anti-doping too (UCI requires a certain % goes toward that now).