Power Meters are great.

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
That is all. :)

Comments

• Puzzler
    Puzzler Posts: 73
    And.....please go on.

In what exact way are they great and how did you come to this conclusion.
    I'm intrigued
  • volvicspar
    volvicspar Posts: 208
    I would have though a cadence meter was your thing Bhima :lol:
  • volvicspar wrote:
    I would have though a cadence meter was your thing Bhima :lol:

Don't think they're able to make a reading at his cadences! :lol:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Bhima do you even have one?
  • Bhima
    Borrowing one from a mate while he's on holliday in France - it's the top-end SRM one too!

Getting a Power Tap in a couple of weeks though.
  • Have you entered a race yet?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Bhima is on crack
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Keeps us entertained though. I'm surprised nobody suggested a bananameter yet.
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    I heard it was true that, if we put bhima on his bike, let him go at his naturally ferocious cadence and we somehow coupled this up to a turbine, he would be able to power half of Britain. I'd much rather have my tax money spent on that than more wind turbines anyway :P
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Actually I think you'd generate more eco power if you could somehow harnass the hot air :)
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I hear they can make electricity from methane these days.
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I'd love to try power cranks just out of interest, but having never got on even with the simplest of HRMs, hating the annoying bleeping, tearing the thing off in annoyance and thowing it to the ground, I doubt I could justify the expense of a vastly more technological peice of kit. Still they're obviously a hugley useful training tool, particularly when coupled with a HRM, for those who take these things seriously (or have too much money for their own good).. Maybe a HAM (hot air monitor) would be a useful tool also....
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Blonde wrote:
    I'd love to try power cranks just out of interest, but having never got on even with the simplest of HRMs, hating the annoying bleeping, tearing the thing off in annoyance and thowing it to the ground, I doubt I could justify the expense of a vastly more technological peice of kit. Still they're obviously a hugley useful training tool, particularly when coupled with a HRM, for those who take these things seriously (or have too much money for their own good).. Maybe a HAM (hot air monitor) would be a useful tool also....

Are you having trouble reading or are you intentionally taking the thread in another direction? :lol:

He did say he was getting a powerTAP not POWERCRANKS :?:

By the way I was under the impression that you'd just bought a powertap and found it a revelation?

I've just bought one and I've just got to say wow!
  • rokkala
    Blonde wrote:

You can turn the bleeping off :D
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    It'll be interesting to see the screenshots of bhima's workouts.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Infamous wrote:

WKO+ showing two efforts from Bhima...

Bhimaworkout.jpg
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    NapoleonD wrote:

:lol: PMSL
  • Infamous
    :D
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Infamous wrote:

Small error there . I think this is the correct one:
    Bhimaworkout.jpg
  • Blonde wrote:
    Maybe a HAM (hot air monitor) would be a useful tool also....

There's certainly plenty of cycles who would probably overload theirs within seconds.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Infamous
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Bhimaworkout.jpg
    His pacing is sub optimal IMHO.
  • Anonymous
    Especially on Run 2
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Bhimaworkout.jpg

280w on a 10 mile TT. Nice. Or is that, cough, a slightly older workout file there Nap?
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • Anonymous
    No no, that's my last one from the 1st July avec broken leg.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    blimey. impressive.
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • rokkala
    max rpm 163 :shock: that'd be fun to watch :D
  • Bhima
    I just did a short 15-miler today as there's a load of closed dual-carriageway roads in Manchester today for some reason. (?)

It said my max power from the ride was 1229 watts. :shock: Is this normal? What do professional sprinters get up to? Can someone put this figure into perspective please? I remember sprinting into an uphill headwind at one point, followed promptly by a total lung blowout/leg failure/brain blackout/heart explosion/etc. It was probably the power output from that. There was no way I could have gone harder.

Don't have any software for analysis yet, but I have to return the cranks and stuff back to my mate on Saturday so it'll be a while before I can see graphs as my slowly increasing powertap fund is behind it's expected schedule by 3 weeks now. :(

Doing a TT tomorrow (10 miles). Should I try and pace my effort using it? Or should I just pace it on feeling (as usual) and use the power measurements to stop me going overboard at the start/on climbs/etc?

Oh, and this powermeter does come with a proper cadence meter. Maximum registered cadence so far was 276 RPM. 8) Although, my average is going down every week, probably because i'm starting to use lower cadences a bit more.
  • Bhima
    Have you entered a race yet?

Loads. Although, none near where I live. Stayed daaahn saaahf for a bit with a mate and did 10 races in 14 days the other month.

There don't seem to be many races up here. :? Maybe i'm not looking hard enough. Not really that interested in racing yet though, as i've mentioned before many times. I just don't seem to have that competitive passion yet. :? I'm just enjoying riding at the moment and challening myself, hence me doing more TTs.
  • Anonymous
    Bhima wrote:
    I just did a short 15-miler today as there's a load of closed dual-carriageway roads in Manchester today for some reason. (?)

It said my max power from the ride was 1229 watts. :shock: Is this normal? What do professional sprinters get up to? Can someone put this figure into perspective please? I remember sprinting into an uphill headwind at one point, followed promptly by a total lung blowout/leg failure/brain blackout/heart explosion/etc. It was probably the power output from that. There was no way I could have gone harder.

Don't have any software for analysis yet, but I have to return the cranks and stuff back to my mate on Saturday so it'll be a while before I can see graphs as my slowly increasing powertap fund is behind it's expected schedule by 3 weeks now. :(

Doing a TT tomorrow (10 miles). Should I try and pace my effort using it? Or should I just pace it on feeling (as usual) and use the power measurements to stop me going overboard at the start/on climbs/etc?

Oh, and this powermeter does come with a proper cadence meter. Maximum registered cadence so far was 276 RPM. 8) Although, my average is going down every week, probably because i'm starting to use lower cadences a bit more.

Sir Hoy does double that, 2.5k Watts.

My max 5 second is about 1200W, my absolute max is 1450ish.

And I'm crap.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Bhima wrote:
    Have you entered a race yet?

Loads. Although, none near where I live. Stayed daaahn saaahf for a bit with a mate and did 10 races in 14 days the other month.

I call B. S.

Let's see some results/start sheets/proof.