Can Lance win in 2010?

2»

Comments

• Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    I don't think so, I'm surprised he is even going to try :?
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yes. He hasn't done his 'normal' Tour prep for 2009, and he's still sticking with the Top GC men. With a full year's training, then yes, definitely

He's had more than a full years training.

Yes, but with lots of races in between. This wasn't his preparation before. He never did stage races in a Tour year before- but this year he's done Australia, California and Italy before the Tour- as well as a few others
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Personally, I think he's doing it because he finds life outside of racing a bit dull and whilst he left the sport on his own terms, he knows that he could have gone on winning, perhaps he regrets that.

Will he win next year? Well, he'll be a year older, and at his age that's a bad thing. Contador and Andy Schleck will be a year older as well, but at their age the only thing that would really change would be them getting more experience (not that Contador needs that!)
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • pedalpower
    pedalpower Posts: 138
    Presumably Bruyneel must think he can one way or another or he'd stick with Bertie wouldn't he? That suggests to me that Armstrong will win, one way or another...
    Hell, I haven't even ruled him out winning this year - one way or another...
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    pedalpower wrote:
    Presumably Bruyneel must think he can one way or another or he'd stick with Bertie wouldn't he? That suggests to me that Armstrong will win, one way or another...

That's the spirit :) I'm a massive Lance fan, but I think it's beyond him now. It would be great to see- but I think we're gonna have to wait a year.

A win on the Ventoux would make up for him not winning the Tour this year
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Maybe Bruyneel has got enough from the sport and just wants to get together with lance for another year reliving the good ol' days.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • pedalpower
    pedalpower Posts: 138
    pedalpower wrote:

That's the spirit :) I'm a massive Lance fan, but I think it's beyond him now. It would be great to see- but I think we're gonna have to wait a year.

A win on the Ventoux would make up for him not winning the Tour this year

I didn't mean I wanted him to win...
  • not a hope in hell. Yes, he can probably put in a good stint again, but he's no chance of winning it unless Contador and the Shreks are banned from competing.
  • GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    I doubt he could win but a podium finish may still be realistic for him next year with a full years trainging and a team working just for him.
    Whatever you think of the man his presence this year has certainly contributed to making the tour more interesting. Last year we were watching a quite unexciting tour where the big news was whether Cadel Evans would ever attack. This year, despite the course which is only getting good this week, we have had the politics of Team Astana. The bitter battle for Green. The emergence of Wiggo as a GC contender and now the Schleck brothers turning it on in the mountains. I don't want this one to end and I can't wait for the next one to start.
  • The Kennington Kaiser says: Nein
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    No. Non. Nein. Nem. Nie. Nyet.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    To win what in 2010?

The US lottery? Well according to www.thelotterysite.com, he has a 1 in 5,245,786 chance.

To win he Tour? He probably has even less chance.
  • Whatever you think of the man his presence this year has certainly contributed to making the tour more interesting.
    agreed. The first interesting Tour Armstrong has been involved in since '96, when he had a bout of fisticuffs with another rider on a very wet stage. His 7 wins were quite possibly the dullest 7 Tours EVER.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Whatever you think of the man his presence this year has certainly contributed to making the tour more interesting.
    agreed. The first interesting Tour Armstrong has been involved in since '96, when he had a bout of fisticuffs with another rider on a very wet stage. His 7 wins were quite possibly the dullest 7 Tours EVER.

Yep - I agree.

LA has def added to the race.