Can Lance win in 2010?

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited July 2009 in Pro race
So.... Mr. Armstrong buys himself a shiny new team for 2010.

Can he win the Tour? Especially IF there is another team TT next year - if he builds a team of strong TTT riders - could he possibly build up a significant lead and ride a similar race to this year?

On the plus side - another year of racing and possibly better preparation to build up for the Tour. On the downside - another year older. And I suspect the Tour organizers will learn from their mistakes this year and build a route that will be more competitive.

Here's hoping anyway....

Discuss amongst yourselves.

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Only if Wiggo doesn't race! :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited July 2009
    Only with assistants.

:D
  • No.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    No
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • iainf72
    No
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Iain,
    Say it again, spin around 3 times, and it will come true... :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    No, give it a rest!!!

For a start he'd still have to compete against Contador. Erm, so actually not much different to this year.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    No.

He lost 90 seconds in 5km on the relatively short climb to Verbier. Extrapolate this to Ventoux this Saturday and he could lose two minutes quite easily, perhaps even more.

It's likely there will be more summit finishes for 2010 so given his performances, I'd say the chances are slim.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Pokerface wrote:
    And I suspect the Tour organizers will learn from their mistakes this year and build a route that will be more competitive.

Here's hoping anyway.....

Before Stage 16, 6 minutes covered the Top 20 on the GC.. and you want more competitive?

You don't ask for much do you!
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    On one of these maybe: http://www.gizmag.com/the-erockit--50-mph-pedal-electric-hybrid-motorcycle/9528/ otherwise no chance. It will not matter how well prepared he is.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Pokerface wrote:

Can he win the Tour? Especially IF there is another team TT next year - if he builds a team of strong TTT riders - could he possibly build up a significant lead and ride a similar race to this year?

On the plus side - another year of racing and possibly better preparation to build up for the Tour. On the downside - another year older. And I suspect the Tour organizers will learn from their mistakes this year and build a route that will be more competitive.

Here's hoping anyway....

So if I read this correct you're really hoping a guy who according to your own words would need a TTT and a less competitive route to have a chance wins?
    What about 21 TTT stages?
  • Pokerface
    How about if he throws a stick into Contador's spokes at some point?
  • He himself said that AC was throwing out more power up Verbier than he had ever managed in his prime (a VAM of 1790 vs 1850 iirc), so unlikely.
    Dan
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Hell no
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • hot rod
    hot rod Posts: 412
    nope
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Non
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • No. The only saving grace of him making yet another overhyped appearance would be that he doesnt end his career at the top of his game and he willhave to hand his self assumed monopoly on the colour yellow back to the event. - although he is already well on the way to that this year ....
  • Pokerface
    FJS wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Here's hoping anyway....

So if I read this correct you're really hoping a guy who according to your own words would need a TTT and a less competitive route to have a chance wins?
    What about 21 TTT stages?

No - you didn't read it correctly.

I was hoping that the organizers create a more competitive route next year.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    No
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:
    And I suspect the Tour organizers will learn from their mistakes this year and build a route that will be more competitive.

Here's hoping anyway.....

Before Stage 16, 6 minutes covered the Top 20 on the GC.. and you want more competitive?

The time gaps don't make it competitive. And clearly you haven't been watching the race if you think it does.

Day after day of "safe" racing. Few attacks. The top 10 filled with the same team (Astana). Mountain climbs followed by downhill finishes. A TTT that killed the race after the 4th stage.

Yeah - REALLY competitive.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    So, you guys are saying no?
  • Earthbound
    Earthbound Posts: 109
    So long as Contador doesn't suffer injury or accident and he turns up in good condition then we can expect him to win a lot of Grand Tours for the next few years. He is immense, a pure climber who also happens to be top flight against the clock.

He doesn't even need a team to support him as he's proven this year :D

With that and the Schlecks and Tony Martin is a promising talent Armstrong hasn't a hope in hell.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    dennisn wrote:

Yes, I mean, no, thats a yes.
    Didn't you know, 40 is the new 30? :wink: .
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Peakraider
    Peakraider Posts: 143
    I'll stick my neck out and say I think he has a good chance.

Yup, he's old.

Yup, he's had his clock cleaned this year.

Yup, Contador's simply superior.

But I expect he and Bruyneel will buy an enormously talented team to build around him -- and to service him a la US Postal at next year's tour. If there's another TTT, they'll put minutes into their rivals.

I expect he'll also climb better next year.

And -- who knows -- he and Bruyneel might find some new koolaid that keeps him nicely refreshed.

What I don't understand is why he's even bothering.

(And don't give me the politics angle that the newspapers keep repeating; racing a bike in France isn't the way to prepare the ground for a political run in Texas.)
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    No. In a word.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Yes. He hasn't done his 'normal' Tour prep for 2009, and he's still sticking with the Top GC men. With a full year's training, then yes, definitely
  • iainf72
    Yes. He hasn't done his 'normal' Tour prep for 2009, and he's still sticking with the Top GC men. With a full year's training, then yes, definitely

He's had more than a full years training.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:

Yes, I mean, no, thats a yes.
    Didn't you know, 40 is the new 30? :wink: .

So I hear. Does that mean I'm actually only 50 now? :wink:
    He could go for #8. He might not. But I think he really loves the game. I still think about getting out there and torturing myself to finish last or if I get lucky, next to last. I've never been a very competitive rider but always enjoyed trying to hang at the races. Pack fill,
    that was me. And pretty poor fill at that. Lance is a guy who can still ride with the best of them and still wants to, apparently. Have at it buddy.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    no
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    If he does I can guarantee that these forums will be full of people claiming he's doped to manage it.

Personally I hope he does win it next year, but if Contador is in good shape it'll never happen. The only way to break AC on the hills is to break his legs.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.