Jens Voigt

13»

Comments

• Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Ow! I just saw on ITV4. Looked like he hit the deck right on his conk and chin. I'll be surprised if he didn't break his nose - it looked awful. Poor Jens. :cry:

The possibility of something like that happening was why I went down that road three weeks ago at about half the speed.... still it was nice to see the scenery again. They should have stopped at the cafe at the top for the excellent cake....
  • munroer
    munroer Posts: 29
    Having watched the video time and again I am convinced the bar did not snap prior to hitting the ground. It looks very much to me that Jens' left hand slipped from the bars as he hit the bump, his weight was thrown forward and he went down before he could react.
    Very, very unpleasant, I wish him all the best.
    Dunk
  • JohnnyAllez
    JohnnyAllez Posts: 785
    Taken to hospitat in Grenoble for an MRI scan (precautionary) Hope he makes a full recovery from that spill, top bloke :(
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Frank Schleck just told Lance that "Jens is doing ok".

Good to hear.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    k-dog wrote:

Good to hear.

How do you know this?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    avalon wrote:
    k-dog wrote:

Good to hear.

How do you know this?

twitter
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • wadej
    wadej Posts: 2
    watch the other riders and not Jens...they all go over the same bump and it catches Jens off guard.

god speed Jens...a classy rider.
  • wadej
    wadej Posts: 2

Keep your eyes on the other riders in this video.

If you watch the other riders it appears they ALL hit the same bump in the road which catches Jens off guard...
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    wadej wrote:
    watch the other riders and not Jens...they all go over the same bump and it catches Jens off guard.

god speed Jens...a classy rider.

Lionel Birnie of Cycling Weekly drove over the same bump earlier in the day and posted this:

"Having driven over the bump where Jens Voigt crashed, we're not surprised someone fell. It was nasty."
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Looks like the bump maybe knocks his hand off the hoods and when he tries to grab the bars to regain control misses. Good to know he's doing OK. Reminds me of a crash I saw when a guy face planted on Cromford Hill in Derbyshire after hitting a car which turned right as being overtaken on the descent - injuries looked terrible but luckily healed fairly quickly - hope Jens has a similar recovery.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    I wonder if his front wheel went down a tramline crack caused by frost damage? There were plenty of those on the Col des Saises last year just below the summit on tomorrow's descending side, so hopefully they have resurfaced it.

*edit*

Bump it is then.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Andy Schleck has just put this on Twitter:

"Jens is okay he is not in danger get stitches an broken cheekbone but he told us to kick a... Next days with a smile"
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    From the saxo website:

Jens Voigt Is OK Under The Circumstances

[21.07 21:56] An examination at the University hospital in Grenoble this evening has initially given positive reports on Jens Voigt's health after the nasty crash during today's stage of Tour de France. He has incurred a fracture of the right cheekbone and a concussion. For now he is staying at the hospital for further observation.

Jens has sent this greeting to the team:
    "I think I was very lucky not getting severely hurt from today's crash. Now I hope that you can focus on the race and I wish you all good luck with the hard stage tomorrow”.

http://www.team-saxobank.com/ny_news.asp?n_id=2434
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • allaction
    allaction Posts: 209
    Excellent news, my favourite rider and a top bloke. Would have soured the tour if he was badly hurt.
  • johndf
    johndf Posts: 250
    Yes, really good news for a top guy. Hope you are back on the bike soon Jens.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    Race on
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Coriander wrote:

"Jens is okay he is not in danger get stitches an broken cheekbone but he told us to kick a... Next days with a smile"

I hope Andy wins the next stage in Jens' honor!!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Just seen the crash this minute on ITV4 highlights replay and came straight here - great news that he's OK given the circumstances, best of luck for a quick recovery.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Excellent news on his recovery.
    Just chatting with my bro' in the pub about it,as i hadn't heard anything more on the accident since watching it live.
    In the 95 TDF,saw him descending off the Galibier,after being dropped earlier,& boy,was he shifting! :shock:
    Top bloke,always thought so,all the best Jens
    so many cols,so little time!
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    donrhummy wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

Agree fully,but not too much time into Brad,if you don't mind! :)
    so many cols,so little time!
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Aaaw, that looked nasty. Don't let my wife see that or she'll take my bike away.

Glad to hear he was not too badly hurt. Gute Besserung Jens!
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    donrhummy wrote:
    Coriander wrote:

Agree fully,but not too much time into Brad,if you don't mind! :)

I hope the Schlecks put an hour into Wiggins in a group containing Armstrong, Kreuziger, Kloden and Nibali at the finish
  • Fractured Cheekbone and Concussion according to the guardian.

Get well soon