Jens Voigt

Comments

• rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Just seen photos...I wont post them as they are not pleasant viewing. Most of the damage is on his face.

Might I suggest that you simply post a link.
    That way members can choose.
    http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=88232141

Get well soon Jens.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Bike is in intact. Nothing broken as far as I can make out.

Link please?
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I really hope he's OK! That spill looked really bad.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    right on the limit... and age....

in the red for most of the efforts he made plus that sprint across the false flat at the top...

hope the tough old git doesn't die from some head clot or some such... looks like a few missing teeth...

i reckon he will be ok...

saxo will feel the loss in race terms.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    rockmount wrote:
    +1.
    Thanks for the link.
    Looks none too good.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • sjauch
    sjauch Posts: 2
    His handlebar broke. You can tell from watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V0VsKznyzA

They go through a dip in the road, watch the camera bounce. When Jens came out of the dip it shifted is weight forward, notice the rear tire coming off the ground, and the bar sheared off left of the stem.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited October 2012
    sjauch wrote:
    His handlebar broke. You can tell from watching this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V0VsKznyzA

They go through a dip in the road, watch the camera bounce. When Jens came out of the dip it shifted is weight forward, notice the rear tire coming off the ground, and the bar sheared off left of the stem.

His handlebars are clearly still on his bike as they should be.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    edited July 2009
    sjauch wrote:

I think you may have something there. Good catch.

if you watch closely I think you can see part of the bar bouncing along the road. Looks like the motorcycle may have run over it.
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest
  • primalcarl
    primalcarl Posts: 579
    HIs handlebars/stem appear intact even AFTER the crash. I'm going with the road surface skipping his back wheel up and unbalancing the bike, possibly during braking
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    sjauch wrote:
    His handlebar broke.

Nope. It can clearly be seen intact in the pictures. Just had his weight at the wrong place when he hit that dip.

Best recovery wishes to Jens!
  • Eurostar
    edited July 2009
    rockmount wrote:
    +1.
    Thanks for the link.
    Looks none too good.

Could have been much, much worse. Not much skin off his face, no loss of consciousness. Chances are that he'll make a full recovery. I was worried it was going to be a career-ending life-altering kind of thing.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • sjauch
    sjauch Posts: 2
    sjauch wrote:

1. The video I posted is better.

2. Look at this photo - his handlebars are clearly still on his bike as they should be.
    http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/89128 ... ages-Sport

Well, the photo tells the truth, bars still intact.

That's interesting. It was crazy the way he went down. Front tire wiping out on the painted line possibly?
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I think Frenchie is right -- from the photos it doesn't look like the bars snapped.

Hard to tell from the video.
  • dennisn
    edited July 2009
    drenkrom wrote:
    sjauch wrote:
    His handlebar broke.

Nope. It can clearly be seen intact in the pictures. Just had his weight at the wrong place when he hit that dip.

Best recovery wishes to Jens!

I stand corrected. But what was that white thing in the video that the motorcycle seemed to run over?
  • frenchfighter
    What bad luck to slip on a line when it is not even raining.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Looks to me like his hands come off the bars, perhaps he hit the dip in the road at the same time as coming off the brake hoods for the handlebar drops?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    dennisn wrote:
    I stand corrected. But what was that white thing in the video that the motorcycle seemed to run over?
    Look like his sunglasses to me.
  • Eurostar
    If you freeze frame it it doesn't look as if he had reason to brake. The white line seems to be where the slide started. Maybe somebody spilled something on it?
    <hr>
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Frpm the slo-mo it looks as if his left hand misses the drops as he goes down onto them. That might be a reaction to something else happening, but I think he has just slipped off the bar when he hits a bump.
  • dennisn
    Graeme_S wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Look like his sunglasses to me.

I think you're right.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    It looks a bit like when George Hincapie's steerer snapped in Paris Roubaix - you could see the bars wobble but the bike stays straight - until the wheel folded under him.

Although frenchfighter's pic shows the bars as they should be - maybe the cables and things are holding the steerer in place but obviously the wheel would do it's own thing.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • stueyh
    stueyh Posts: 14
    Another sniper?

Defo a sore one though, hope he recovers.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    If you lost your grip on the handlebars the wheel would do its own thing too.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    That's how I crashed when I destroyed my shoulder - I did it at about 25km/h so I just stopped when I hit the deck. I expect he got a massive jolt through the bike from the bump when the wheel slowed rapidly and he continued forward.

Hope he's all ok in the end.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    ellieb wrote:
    Frpm the slo-mo it looks as if his left hand misses the drops as he goes down onto them. That might be a reaction to something else happening, but I think he has just slipped off the bar when he hits a bump.

This is plausible as that really screws everything up. It happened to my brother coming off Ditchling Beacon and it wasn't nice...tiny bump, one hand comes off the drops.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Man that was bad, fingers crossed for everything. Make a full and speedy recovery Crazy Jens!

he aint gonna feel happy descending after that one...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Good luck for the recovery to Big Jens. I winced when I saw it, his heart must have stopped when his bike went beneath him.
  • donaldinho
    donaldinho Posts: 103
    Best wishes to Jens, hope he has a speedy recovery.
    Hope his legendary toughness does the trick.
  • stueyh
    stueyh Posts: 14
    edited July 2009
    Wobble in the road lifts him and the bike up and him over the front end a bit which then plants down heavily with him onto the slidey white line.

Really really unlucky, poor guy, inches to the right and he'd have probably had more traction.