Do you believe Lance? He won't try to win this TDF?

13»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    dennisn wrote:
    Trev36 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    He may or may not be "out of legs", but I stand by my previous statement that you don't attack a teammate while he's attacking. In any case I was only trying to be sarcastic.
    It's something of a hobby of mine. :wink::wink:
    Thats right you don't attack your team mate but you would mark the others if they did try and attack and bridge.
    Armstrong could not mark any of the others, he dropped away.
    Unless he was marking them by correspondance. :P

As Stuey01 pointed out, Astana are looking to get their big hitters up on the podium. They are not hanging back to be polite.

I think that's true of everyone in the race. Who doesn't want to be on the podium at one time or another in the TDF? I doubt Astana has a lock on that desire.

Selective Dennis, very selective.

Do you want me to comment on something else you said?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    ="Pokerface
    He got dropped - yes. But unless I was watching a different stage today - he didn't just 'claw' his way back on a flat section.

And the others didn't catch up until he reached the front and THEN the pace dropped.

Don't hate the plater. Hate the game.

Okay, claw is the wrong word. He got back easy enough, but just behind him were Uran, Kirchen and VdV. It was hardly "The Look".
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    If he doesn't win this year he'll have a go next year:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/l ... tour-22499
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    He looked fine today...

I think he's keeping something under his legs and saving it for the Ventoux on Saturday. Imagine how much he wants to win on Mont Ventoux. Now that the yellow is probably out of his grasp (at least for this year.. more of that in a minute!) I think he's going to try his godamn hardest to finally beat the Ventoux.

Lance's prep for the Tour this year is so different from his 7 wins. I think next year he won't do the Giro, but will focus more on the Tour- as opposed to using all these races as a front for Livestrong.

And who knows, with these rumours he could be a leader of his own team, with Johan Bruyneel's undivided attention as Directeur...

Just a thought :)
  • Unsheath
    Unsheath Posts: 49
    Another year of Armstrong!! I might just duck out for a year. See you all in 2011.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Guimard reckons Lance got dropped on purpose yesterday so he wouldn't have to help AC if the Schlecks kicked off.

His reasoning is if you're properly dropped you can't recover like that.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Guimard is a tactical genius and a superb media pundit too, I'm not sure whether this idea is tactical nous or punditry? I suppose it was inevitable that Schleck would attack but at the same time would Armstrong really want to sit still and watch his podium place vanish just so he can frustrate Contador.

(Guimard's arguably the best ever DS but that's for another thread. I think Pro Cycling had a feature on him earlier this year, the only problem was that it was too short.)
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:
    Guimard is a tactical genius and a superb media pundit too, I'm not sure whether this idea is tactical nous or punditry? I suppose it was inevitable that Schleck would attack but at the same time would Armstrong really want to sit still and watch his podium place vanish just so he can frustrate Contador.

LangerDan introduced me to a great Irish expression a while ago which I believe sums up Lance nicely.

He'd rather his own horse died than his neighbor got a second horse. (or something like that)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I know what you mean but a large part of his comeback seems to be PR rehabilitation, an attempt to distance himself from the doping stories that dog him. Shafting your own team mate, the mental games and more only help paint him as a selfish type, a bully rather than a relaxed champion.

But it's like the old story of the scorpion, it can be hard to escape your instincts at times.
  • iainf72
    I almost feel sorry for him sometimes, because after Sunday he was talking the right way and all that, but the rabid people on Twitter were urging him to attack and "not give up" (in spite of his performance on that day)

But then I come to my senses and remember he was mean to me.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Kléber wrote:
    but a large part of his comeback seems to be PR rehabilitation, an attempt to distance himself from the doping stories that dog him.

Agreed.