Astana news

2»

Comments

• Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Kléber wrote:
    Contador was prepared to jump ship mid-season, so with some time and another Tour win under his belt, he'll have plenty of choice of teams. But he's still under contract with Astana until the end of 2010.

Just out of interest, what would Contador be earning a year and how much would it cost to buy him out of his Astana contract?
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Contador's contract is not with the Astana sponsors, but with Bruyneel's management company, which runs the Astana team. I'm quite confident there is a clause in there that invalidates the contract if the team disappears or the management company leaves the team. The fact that they are meeting with Lombardi and Rominger, who act as agents for many riders, is indicative that they have to renegotiate the agreements, IMO. So we may see Contador in black and red, then?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    As a tour winner he will earn more from sponsorship deals than a direct team salary with Astana or whoever.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    As a tour winner he will earn more from sponsorship deals than a direct team salary with Astana or whoever.

I believe he has practically no endorsements at the moment and it's all salary. He's won every grand tour once.

Go figure.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • He does appear on the Eurosport sponsership ad thing for Sidi at the end of the ad breaks, looking, if I can say, decidedly camp. :?:
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    Contador has signed an agreement just before the tour for Look pedal,s as well as the Sidi shoes ad he does on eurosport and his deal for giro glasses so he is making some extra cash
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,042
    The Kazakh's want the new Astana (mk4?) to be a Kazakh/Spanish (+Klodi) concoction, built around AC. Not sure if that will float his boat, it might depend on how much support he has recieved so far from the consortium.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    knedlicky wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    There were reports that Armstrong would announce his plans for 2010 yesterday.
    Apparently, on yesterday’s rest day, former pro riders Rominger and Lombardi met with Bruyneel and Armstrong at the Astana hotel, Hotel Elite (what else!) It’s rumoured the meeting had to do with the formation of a new LA team with a sponsor called Oracle.

Oracle are a Californian software company, owned by reputedly the 4th richest man in the world, Lawrence Ellison. Ellison also has a foundation to support those with cancer, so there’s a common theme between the main men involved.
    Armstrong didn’t speak to the press yesterday, two bodyguards not letting the press get close.
    Supposedly, Bruyneel will move to the new team too. He and Rominger met yesterday, probably to discuss Kloeden’s move to the new team (Rominger being Kloeden's manager).

In order to be part of the discussions, LA cancelled attending a UCI function at nearby Aigle, something he’d previously agreed on paper with the UCI to do. Contador was also supposed to attend to the function at Aigle, but also didn’t.

Isn't Rominger also Contador's agent? And Vino's...
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,042
    afx237vi wrote:

I thought so, tried to look it up, but couldn't find anything.
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ltf4yj
  • afx237vi
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/ltf4yj

OK, Rominger was Contador's agent, but is he still Contador's agent? All those links are from 2007.
  • deltadawn
    deltadawn Posts: 168
    Hmm...

Cyclingfans.com thinks they have it figured out, and it's not Orcale.

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/433

Dawn
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    deltadawn wrote:
    Hmm...

Cyclingfans.com thinks they have it figured out, and it's not Orcale.

http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/433

Dawn

Team Radio Shack???

Guess that means race radio is here to stay :)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    "The domain, teamradioshack.com, is registered to CSE Cycling of Austin, Texas. This is Armstrong agent Bill Stapleton's sports agency that previously registered thepaceline.com."
    -Cyclingfans

Interesting but I wonder what interest a US retailer has with the mainly European road racing scene.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    edited July 2009
    Team Radio Shack? That super-cheap electronics store chain? The shops where the most cutting edge technology is batteries and remote-controlled boats costing 49,99$? The ones who went bankrupt a few years back before being saved by Circuit City, who then went bankrupt itself? :shock:

Never saw that coming.

Kléber, haven't you heard? Cycling is the new golf in the US.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Kléber wrote:
    "The domain, teamradioshack.com, is registered to CSE Cycling of Austin, Texas. This is Armstrong agent Bill Stapleton's sports agency that previously registered thepaceline.com."
    -Cyclingfans

Interesting but I wonder what interest a US retailer has with the mainly European road racing scene.

What? Like USPS? Armstrong gives publicity.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    According to Procycling tweet, the radioshack.com rumours are not true...
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    team radio shack it is according to livestrong.com
  • afx237vi
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,873
    Kléber wrote:

whats he doing putting on his lipstick?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Kléber wrote:

HHAHAHAHAHAHAAH,

He really has got a Bono complex hasn't he?
    Going to love watching next year as his ego won' let him admit that that he is past it especially without the help of lamborgini.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.