Astana news

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• iainf72
    Interesting no one has commented on this.

And no news out of Armstrongs camp about a new team....

:shock:

Could it have legs?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Sounds like PR bullshit to me. Here's why:-

The Kazakh sponsors of the Astana cycling team will extend their contract with Alberto Contador and Lance Armstrong for three years.

Unless the Tour intend to introduce a Team Bathchair Time Trial.....

This option will be on the bottom of President Armstrong and Vice President Bruyneel's, hidden agenda.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    Didn't a big sponsor Lance have lined up bail on him just after the Giro?
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    That really is a weird story. Do you reckon he's a bit of a chancer?

Just can not see anyway Lance and Bruyneel will be there next season.
  • blazing_saddles
    Massive, but silent and invisible.
    Like trying to find aneedle in the rumour haystack.
    That's why I think we'll have to see, but it won't be long, after the Tour.
    Right now, I think Bertie carries more weight than the old one.

Btw: Just got round to my mail, so there's one in the post. :wink:
  • iainf72
    L'equipe spotted a pile of yellow LAF jerseys in a car parked at the Astana hotel on Sunday.
  • blazing_saddles
    iainf72 wrote:
    L'equipe spotted a pile of yellow LAF jerseys in a car parked at the Astana hotel on Sunday.
    Not in a dumpster, 50 miles from the hotel? :wink:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    There were reports that Armstrong would announce his plans for 2010 yesterday. But perhaps things are not going to the script, with young Alberto resplendent in amarillo?

Clearly Astana have had trouble paying wages. The UCI needs to step in here and secure guarantees, both to protect rider wages for the future but also to prevent others hustling valuable pro tour licences on the cheap, complete with dirty tricks.
  • mangaman
    mangaman Posts: 704
    Can't believe that - Vino will insist on returning, Lance will retire and the TDF will not invite them back

Bertie will move to a Spanish team

That's my prediction

That guy in the link is seriously weird - some kind of wizard or sorcerer by the look of him

I wouldn't trust him :wink:
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Kléber wrote:
    There were reports that Armstrong would announce his plans for 2010 yesterday.
    Apparently, on yesterday’s rest day, former pro riders Rominger and Lombardi met with Bruyneel and Armstrong at the Astana hotel, Hotel Elite (what else!) It’s rumoured the meeting had to do with the formation of a new LA team with a sponsor called Oracle.

Oracle are a Californian software company, owned by reputedly the 4th richest man in the world, Lawrence Ellison. Ellison also has a foundation to support those with cancer, so there’s a common theme between the main men involved.
    Armstrong didn’t speak to the press yesterday, two bodyguards not letting the press get close.
    Supposedly, Bruyneel will move to the new team too. He and Rominger met yesterday, probably to discuss Kloeden’s move to the new team (Rominger being Kloeden's manager).

In order to be part of the discussions, LA cancelled attending a UCI function at nearby Aigle, something he’d previously agreed on paper with the UCI to do. Contador was also supposed to attend to the function at Aigle, but also didn’t.
  • iainf72
    Interesting

Oracle were the company who bailed on taking over Discovery.

Lombardi too? Not Basso - Please not Basso.
  • Kléber
    iainf72 wrote:
    Luke Skywalker joining up to fight alongside Darth Vader eh?
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    mangaman wrote:
    That guy in the link is seriously weird - some kind of wizard or sorcerer by the look of him

I wouldn't trust him :wink:

2e0s2uq.gif
    2hn14as.jpg
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    iainf72 wrote:
    Interesting

Oracle were the company who bailed on taking over Discovery.

Would make sense. He lost his mum to cancer and if there genuinely was a team raising the profile of the cancer fight he'd be interested.

Kloden, Phinney, Basso. That would have the makings of a pretty solid line up.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    Ellison and Armstrong would make quite a pair.

Although Larry has been divorced 4 times or something so he wins there.

But he's known to be a bit of a bully.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    I thought Ellison's big passion was big money yachting: http://bmworacleracing.com/en/index.html

But I guess that a team budget is small fry for him.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Does Contador make that leap?

I would guess that Levi and Horner would jump as well.
  • iainf72
    Bakunin wrote:

I think he'd rather eat his own hair
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,042
    iainf72 wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

Is that what happened to Levi and horner :shock:
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    iainf72 wrote:
    Bakunin wrote:

I hear you Iain, but they may have the time and money to smooth Alberto's ruffled feathers.

I would expect that AC would prefer to ride for the Hog.

And given Lance's ego, why have a team unless you are going to be successful. Is he going to pin his hopes on Taylor Phinney?

In order to land AC -- they would have to guarantee that they never put him through the nonsense that they did for the last two weeks. It will be very interesting to watch how Armstrong relates to AC in the days ahead.
  • Kléber
    Contador was prepared to jump ship mid-season, so with some time and another Tour win under his belt, he'll have plenty of choice of teams. But he's still under contract with Astana until the end of 2010.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    He'd leave if the money/team were right but it's no good being #1 if you aren't a contender as Cadel Evans knows. Spanish teams? Well there is only CdE but then valverde will prob. be off. A team backed by Alonso from F1 maybe but sad to say an Armstrong/Oracle team would have all the facilities/sponsors etc for a GT rider like Contador. he'd rpobably want a few guarantees but if he comes up yellow again, then that won't be a problem
    M.Rushton
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    Ellison is one of the most arrogant, aggressive, amoral coonts on the planet. (I used to do his PR years ago.) If he gets interested in cycling his strategy will be to trample over everybody and win at all costs.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • iainf72
    Eurostar wrote:
    Ellison is one of the most arrogant, aggressive, amoral coonts on the planet. (I used to do his PR years ago.) If he gets interested in cycling his strategy will be to trample over everybody and win at all costs.

As I said, interesting pairing with Lance :wink:
  • Kléber
    Eurostar wrote:
    If he gets interested in cycling his strategy will be to trample over everybody and win at all costs.
    :idea: Perfect for Armstrong and Bruyneel then?
  • Kléber
    iain beat me to it!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    must still be $$$ in cycling then if people like Ellison want in.
    M.Rushton
  • Eurostar
    Eurostar Posts: 1,806
    He doesn't need the money - he's just into pulverizing people.
    <hr>
    <h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    edited July 2009
    Astana news: Bruyneel this morning on Sporza radio:

"After this year I will certainly not be with Astana anymore" And will you go the American way? "Yes perhaps".

Apparently he also put an interview in Le Dauphine Libere this morning with a similar message. Can't find that online.

So, confirmed by the man himself, Bruyneel won't be with Astana next year.

http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrenn ... eel_Astana