Do you drink alcohol?

13»

Comments

• My alcohol intake tends to be sport orientated - I'll have a beer or 2 when I go watch rugby, a few beers to watch England/ Man U. We don't go out very often - not even once a month- as work shifts tend to get in the way of socializing.

For some reason I never feel comfortable drinking in the house so will maybe only have 2-3 drinks a month max at home.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Fungus

- you live in Heywood which has one of the highest pub:population ratios in the UK!

Also, it's a doss-hole, so you're allowed to drink as much as you can get down you. :wink:

Talking of Filipino ladyboys, I was on holiday in Boracay about 10 years ago and took great delight in watching a drunken Yank chatting up a lush one. It could have been dennisn!

Do a few laps around Queen's park for me!

Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Most of them are closed now like the queen vic, the brickhouse, the kings, the dressers. Plus its not the safest place to go drinking its full of nobbers. Every noew and again I brave going into the centre so I can have some proper cask ales in the wetherspoons.

When this bloody pig flu goes i promise to do a tt around the park in your honour
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • pottssteve
    Blimey! Things must be tough if the pubs are closing!

The Seven Stars was always one of my favourites; not for drinking in but just to look at. It had the lot - squat, red brick building with a car park full of broken glass, strippers on a Sunday lunch, and an alsatian dog barking from on top of the flat roof. The traditional English pub!

I used to hate the top of Queens Park Road where it gets steep. I learned to drive around there, having to do hill starts in a learner car with a queue behind me :shock:

:lol:

Steve
  • crown_jewel
    crown_jewel Posts: 545
    I quit 3 years ago to lose weight and feel better overall. Worked pretty well.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Can a duck swim?
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    Can a duck swim?

Welsh ducks perhaps? :lol:
  • pottssteve wrote:
    Blimey! Things must be tough if the pubs are closing!

The Seven Stars was always one of my favourites; not for drinking in but just to look at. It had the lot - squat, red brick building with a car park full of broken glass, strippers on a Sunday lunch, and an alsatian dog barking from on top of the flat roof. The traditional English pub!

I used to hate the top of Queens Park Road where it gets steep. I learned to drive around there, having to do hill starts in a learner car with a queue behind me :shock:

:lol:

Steve

The owner with the dog left quite a few years ago. The dog actually jumped off once and bit a young kid that I knew at the time :shock: no kids goaded the dog after that :lol:

The stars is called the heywood now. It's owned by a chap I'm pals with who used to own spibs /snookerhall. It's still as you describe it ( without the strippers) It's actually a good pub to go in its a bit rough but there's never any trouble suprisingly .

Yeah things ae tough go online and read the advertiser web pages there's a n article about the pubs in it that I read yesterday. Theres even a heywoodians living abroad map. You could stick your google pin on it :D
  • pottssteve
    Hi Fungus,
    "The owner with the dog left quite a few years ago. The dog actually jumped off once and bit a young kid that I knew at the time no kids goaded the dog after that "

Hahaha - it had probably had enough. It was a terror if you forgot it was there - cutting across the carpark one time it barked really loud and I nearly shat meself. :lol:

I had a look at the Advertiser site - amazing how many people have made it over the wall to freedom. I clicked on a few but didn't recognise any of them. I've not added my pin - you have to give an email address and I get enough spam as it is...

It's not that odd that the pubs are closing, I suppose, when you can get beer for 50p a bottle in the Morrisons. I thought this comment by the Reverend was odd:

"Our town has a very strong sociological aspect to it and the life and community feel of the town has been really hit by the dwindling trade."

Maybe it's Heywood talk and I've been away too long (20 years ago :shock: ) so I don't understand it. Or maybe it's just gibberish :D

It would be fun to go back for a walk down memory lane; I don't think it will be for a while though. I did have a fun evening in the Seven Stars one time; my Dad was in the Lions and they organised a do for some old folks. We're all standing around and handing out finger rolls (classy) when some young Goth girl comes in, puts Joan Jett and the Blackhearts on the jukebox and proceeded to headbang in the middle of the dance floor, on her own, until she fell over. :lol: Class in a glass!!

Steve