ITV4 is really weird..

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Hiya,

I've not lived in the UK since 2003 and am watching the Tour on ITV4. It's nice to hear Liggett and Sherwin again, but what's odd is the adverts. It seems to be Bikehut, and then loads of 0800 numbers - car insurance etc. And what's with the advert for becoming a driving instructor; are you telling me they only earn 30k a year...?

I tell you, England is becoming a foreign country to me.
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Adverts are adverts, seems normal to me.
  • pottssteve
    Hi Will,
    Are you working at McDonalds these days?

They probably seem normal to you because you live there - there is no "shock of the new".

Steve
  • freehub
    Did you not get adverts in Hong Kong?
  • pottssteve
    No, I don't. We have satellite TV which doesn't really do adverts. On Sky when you get adverts we get little summaries of news. I don't watch local TV 'cos I don't speak enough Cantonese. And we don't have adverts for Bikehut or driving instructor courses...

So I take it you're not at McDonalds?

Steve
  • freehub
    Adverts are obviously funding for the channels and you can have anything on adverts so you should not be surprised what you see, as you know adverts are to promote things.

I seen an advert for an air freshener today, the little kid was wanting a poo, he said he's going for a poo at this other persons house, maybe his dad's? cause he has the air freshner but his mum did not have one, so he got his backpack and was about to leave to go for a poo poo.

Adverts like that do seem abit pathetic though.
  • pottssteve
    There do seem to be a lot of adverts for loans, insurance etc.

Will,
    So in the advert the little boy didn't live with his Dad?
  • freehub
    Maybe it's cause of the recession?

No he lived with his mum.
  • pottssteve
    You see, that's very typically British.

I can't think of ny other countries I've lived in where the Mother and Father would live apart - it destroys the "happy family" image of the product. I'm not sure if Britain is very avant-guard or overly PC...

Steve
  • freehub
    It might not have being his dad, maybe uncle or just a friend of his mothers?
  • pottssteve
    Will,
    Could you let me know when you see it again, please? I'm interested.

Oh, more adverts...
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    freehub wrote:
    I seen an advert for an air freshener today, the little kid was wanting a poo, he said he's going for a poo at this other persons house, maybe his dad's? cause he has the air freshner but his mum did not have one, so he got his backpack and was about to leave to go for a poo poo.

It means nothing to you now, but wait until you have kids. My life is all poo and crisps now.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • pottssteve
    mmitchell,
    I'm a father too - I know what you mean. Mine's 8 now so the madness is dying down a bit. I'm gearing myself for the day when he comes home to introduce me to some slapper he's knocked up... :)
  • freehub
    pottssteve wrote:
    Will,
    Could you let me know when you see it again, please? I'm interested.

Oh, more adverts...

It might be on youtube.
  • boz64
    boz64 Posts: 81
    pottssteve wrote:
    And what's with the advert for becoming a driving instructor; are you telling me they only earn 30k a year...?

Dude, plenty of people in the UK earn 30k or less!!
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • pottssteve
    What make of freshener is it?
  • mmitchell88
    freehub wrote:

It means nothing to you now, but wait until you have kids. My life is all poo and crisps now.

Speaking of which, Will - your housemate's handbag. Did anything come of that?
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
  • mmitchell88
    pottssteve wrote:
    mmitchell,
    I'm a father too - I know what you mean. Mine's 8 now so the madness is dying down a bit. I'm gearing myself for the day when he comes home to introduce me to some slapper he's knocked up... :)

:lol:

I'm deep in in the madness with two - and for some reason we thought an 18 month gap was a good idea.
  • pottssteve
    boz,
    I know a lot of people earn less than 30k - I'm just surprised that driving instructors don't get more. I learned to drive years ago and was paying 10 quid an hour then...

Will, and are you house - sharing with that untidy girl next term?

Steve
  • search youtube for "i want to do a poo at pauls".
  • pottssteve
    mmitchell,

An 18 month gap is ideal - you've still got all the crap from the first one when the second one arrives, therefore you can't remember what a normal life is like. Leave it any longer and you may never have another (I didn't).

Are you related to the "That Mitchell and Webb Look" Mitchell, by the way?

Thanks, fat and wheezing...

Steve
  • mmitchell88
    pottssteve wrote:
    you've still got all the crap from the first one when the second one arrives, therefore you can't remember what a normal life is like

I think that's about right. This year was going to be a serious one cycling-wise but all I got was extra Dad duties. Perhaps next year.

Next year...
  • pottssteve
    Until the third arrives... :lol:
  • freehub
    pottssteve wrote:
    boz,
    I know a lot of people earn less than 30k - I'm just surprised that driving instructors don't get more. I learned to drive years ago and was paying 10 quid an hour then...

Will, and are you house - sharing with that untidy girl next term?

Steve

I don't know who I'll be sharing with next term, hopefully I wont be in much to care about mess as I'm intending on getting a job so I don't die of boredom like last term and so I can buy lots of bike tyres and edge 705's.
  • pottssteve
    Will,
    I remember from my Uni days that it's a good idea to get a house with people you know and like. Maybe ring around a few friends and get together to organise a house, otherwise you might end up living with scumbags.

What's an edge 705?

Steve
  • freehub
    its a gps.

I know no one in Manchester so if I live with scumbags I'll just have to deal with it.
  • pottssteve
    Will,
    Are you at the Uni or Mcr Metropolitan? I studied in Mcr - down the Oxford St every day! Didsbury used to be popular - you can find it on the gps!
    Steve
  • freehub
    I'm at The Manchester College, I know my way around Manchester slightly.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2009
    There's been a massive decline in advertising for ITV since 2003, partly recession-fueled but also due to increasing competition from online sources. ITV4 is also kind of non-aspirational in its content, so the ads are generally mass market delta stuff with reassuring regional accents, for price-comparing financial services products: insurance, money-lending or "compensation" stuff.
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    Anyone else noticed the bikehut ads seem to be promoting riding on pavements and skidding your back wheel around corners on the trail. Great advice!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    potssteve,

mate, have you ever been injured at work and it wasn't your fault?

Furthermore, would you like to consolidate your debts into one easy to manage monthly payment?

No?

Me neither and I'm fed up to the back bloody teeth of being asked by the telly !