Primal scream 1994
    PJ Harvey 1993
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 1993
    My Bloody valentine 1991
    Swans 1991
    Beastie Boys 1992
    Happy Mondays 1990
    and so on....

Lucky guy, getting to see My Bloody Valentine - nobody's surpassed them, to this day.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Mettan wrote:
    Haven't seen Jesus though.

no one has - not for 2000 years anyway.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Porgy wrote:
    At this point can I just mention that I once saw the Las (1988 - or 87?) - better than the Stone Roses by a long way.

<memory making grinding noises>

Not in musical terms, though.
  • Mettan
    Porgy wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    Haven't seen Jesus though.

no one has - not for 2000 years anyway.

:D
  • Porgy
    Mettan wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    At this point can I just mention that I once saw the Las (1988 - or 87?) - better than the Stone Roses by a long way.

<memory making grinding noises>

Not in musical terms, though.

well, yes, that's what i meant.
  • Mettan
    Back in the day, I liked, The Pale Saints, My Bloody, Lush, Telescopes, Cocteau's, Pixies, Smiths, Ride, Ultra Vivid S - saw some of them, but not all. Makes the brit pop era look like sh*te.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    What about Mansun, Cast, Jurassic 5 and numerous others?!

No-one has mentioned Ocean Colour Scene yet. Will someone please do so soon, so that I may pour contempt on that sorry useless bunch. Where are they know? I bet they've become accountants and upholsterers....
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    My dad taught Phil Lynott (of Thin Lizzy) to play guitar

Whoa!
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    - Thin Lizzy then toured as his band's (Arrival) support band in the early 70s. Before Phil realised my mum was married to my dad, he asked her out. He still plays bass in a local band - all funk type stuff. Not a normal dad of 58 years old!

This is too good! Who is your Dad? The guitarist or the bass player of Arrival?
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    My list of shame is poor as it my list of good bands I've seen - I tend to listen to a lot of music but not actually go to gigs.

My list of shame is pretty much all the sub-pub rock bands that ended up playing Mbro town Hall in the early 90s. But I'd highlight Tigertailz whose biggest hit, as you all know, was Love Bomb Baby.

He was the bass player:

http://www.alexgitlin.com/npp/arrival.htm

He also played in a band called Toad who did some pretty good stuff around 1971ish.

Most of his bass career was doing session work though. If the bassist of Free hadn't returned (after leaving) at the 11th hour, he would have also played for them.

If bass guitars are your thing (they aren't mine!) he has a lovely little collection. I alwasy hated Ocean Colour Scene...
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    No one's mentioned The Wedding Present yet. My favourite band of all time. Seeing them at the Finsbury Park Powerhaus during the Watusi tour in 96(ish) remains my best gig (lost hearing in one ear for days afterwards).

And how about the Longpigs - too few albums but legends none the less.
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Fun Lovin Criminals - 2000-ish
    I saw them at the Kentish Town Forum around the same time. No shame in that though, the gig was brilliant,
  • Puzzler
    Puzzler Posts: 73
    edited July 2009
    I am totally and utterly ashamed to say I've seen the following:

Spandau Ballet (early kilt wearing version)
    Wham (why didn't we realise George was gay?)
    X Factor live

I hang my head in shame and embarrassment :oops:

Although I have excuses for each
    Spandau - my dad got free tickets
    Wham - bought tickets to take a girl who liked them
    X F - 8yr old daughter wanted to see Leona
  • Porgy
    Nuggs wrote:
    No one's mentioned The Wedding Present yet. My favourite band of all time. Seeing them at the Finsbury Park Powerhaus during the Watusi tour in 96(ish) remains my best gig (lost hearing in one ear for days afterwards).

Very remiss of me.

I've seen them about 3 times 1986 - 1987 and 1996 (at Reading festival)

first time i sw them they only knew about 5 songs. :D
  • Porgy
    just remembered

- mighty mighty
    - mighty lemon drops

saw them both at Kennington Park in 1988 - I was standing next to Paul Weller.

mighty mighty were famous for playing a pre gig game of football with their fans at their gigs..and this was no exception.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    speaking of the Who, does anyone have any idea when Pete Townshend's book is coming out?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    He was the bass player:

http://www.alexgitlin.com/npp/arrival.htm

He also played in a band called Toad who did some pretty good stuff around 1971ish.

Most of his bass career was doing session work though. If the bassist of Free hadn't returned (after leaving) at the 11th hour, he would have also played for them.

If bass guitars are your thing (they aren't mine!) he has a lovely little collection. I alwasy hated Ocean Colour Scene...

What a great story. Anecdote #3 - after Uni I tried to crack the session scene myself playing bass. I studied for a while with Joe Hubbard just after he started his bass school (this must have been cSept 1993). Ran out of money. Went back to uni for a PhD. Never picked up a bass again.

I'm glad you mentioned Ocean Colour Scene...I just looked and they still exist. They have a website. THEY HAVE A FAN FORUM! I am going to join.......
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    bands I've seen who got big ? off the top of my head

Blondie supporting Television
    Joy Division supporting the Buzzcocks
    U2 supporting somebody

more recently The View supporting Primal Scream, though I left before the tw@t gillespie came on
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    'early career' bands I saw included...

Madness - 1981 at Bracknell sports centre

Tears for Fears, supporting the Thomson Twins (back when they were still a 7-piece) - 1982 at Reading Uni

Simple Minds - 1982, at Top Rank, Reading

King Kurt - 1983 at the Caribbean Club, Reading. Very messy.....

Most of the other bands I saw around that time were already pretty well known, including Killing Joke, Cabaret Voltaire, Cocteau Twins, Japan, Bauhaus and probably loads more I can't remember...
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    wiffachip wrote:
    bands I've seen who got big ? off the top of my head

Blondie supporting Television
    Joy Division supporting the Buzzcocks
    U2 supporting somebody

more recently The View supporting Primal Scream, though I left before the tw@t gillespie came on

nice, Dont get to make calls like that everyday
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    softlad wrote:
    King Kurt - 1983 at the Caribbean Club, Reading. Very messy.....

Good grief! I think I was at that one. If there was a dead rabbit being thrown around it was my mate Neil who was responsible.

I was at The Bangles first UK gig (and The Long Ryders, Rain Parade, Green on Red - none of those broke into the mainstream 'lo) The Bangles were a really great band who were ruined by their record company.

During my rock n'roll years I had fleeting aquaintance with a few people who later 'made it'. Primal Scream, James Taylor of the JTQ, Eddie Pillar - founder of Acid Jazz Records, Alan McGee - founder of Creation Records.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Ah, memories, eh, like the shadows of my mind.......
    (never seen the Shadows).

I don't think I've ever seen a bad gig, as such. I suppose I just drank more at the sh*te ones...

I did once get free tickets to the Brighton Festival for the "Indie" and "Dance" days. Indie was good because I knew all the bands - Carter USM were unstoppable, and I liked the Levellers ( :oops: )
    The dance day was the biggest load of toss I'd ever seen, primarily, I think, because I was sober and not full of speed/pot/ecstasy/mushrooms etc.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    speaking of the Who, does anyone have any idea when Pete Townshend's book is coming out?

Yes, I wondered that also !
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 932
    The Skids (Big Country later).

Walking home @ 0300 shouting "ALBERT TATLOCK" du du du du du du du du

RIP SA.