Bands of Yesteryear...

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
Wotcha,

Iain's thread on NIN and Gary Numan got me thinking about bands I saw when they were small, then some of them got big, and most of them imploded... Did any of you guys and gals out there ever see any of the following live, and if so, care to share stories?(Festivals don't count):

Beth Orton
S*M*A*S*H
These Animal Men
Gene
Sleeper
Tindersticks
Powder
Elastica

I also saw Oasis in Brighton in front of about 3000 people...
:shock:

Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    pottssteve wrote:
    Wotcha,

Iain's thread on NIN and Gary Numan got me thinking about bands I saw when they were small, then some of them got big, and most of them imploded... Did any of you guys and gals out there ever see any of the following live, and if so, care to share stories?(Festivals don't count):

Beth Orton
    S*M*A*S*H
    These Animal Men
    Gene
    Sleeper
    Tindersticks
    Powder
    Elastica

I also saw Oasis in Brighton in front of about 3000 people...
    :shock:

Steve

I saw Gene about the time their first album came out - maybe just before - fantastic - no story to tell though.

Think I saw These Animal Men once - not sure though.

Saw Pulp supporting Jesus & Mary Chain in about 1990

Saw Primal Scream in a tiny cellar bar in 1986

Saw Blur supporting Jesus & Mary Chain in early 90s.

Saw Stereolab supporting Lush in 1990
  • pottssteve
    These Animal Men were great! They seemed to play in Portsmouth every 3 weeks alongside S*M*A*S*H, who were also fun live. I appear on a live albumn by S*M*A*S*H, recorded in Brighton. (I'm random nutter number 2 yelling from the crowd). I also went on a package holiday to Tunisia one Christmas and met the keyboard player from T.A.M. - my wife and I went for a camel ride with him and his missus. I had to lend him 25 quid as he'd run out of money - but he paid me back when we got back to the UK. Rock and roll, eh?!
  • mmitchell88
    mmitchell88 Posts: 340
    edited July 2009
    I didn't see any of those bands live.

But.

I do recall thinking that Sleeper's lead singer, Louise Wener, was absolutely delish at the time. However, I just found a TV performance of Inbetweener on the information superweb, and...well...she's a bit ordinary. Nice, but at least one rung below Liz Phair. Possibly two.

One of my biggest surprises at the time, however, was Echobelly. I saw REM play the McAlpine Stadium in the mid-90s, and they supported. I thought they would be rubbish, but they weren't.

That's my anecdote.

(EDIT: Anecdote #2: I was once in the same Safeway supermarket queue as DJ Tim from Utah Saints. Headingley Arndale Centre, mid-90s. He didn't recognise me.)
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • Porgy
    I didn't see any of those bands live.

But.

I do recall thinking that Sleeper's lead singer, Louise Wener, was absolutely delish at the time. However, I just found a TV performance of Inbetweener on the information superweb, and...well...she's a bit ordinary. Nice, but at least one rung below Liz Phair. Possibly two.

One of my biggest surprises at the time, however, was Echobelly. I saw REM play the McAlpine Stadium in the mid-90s, and they supported. I thought they would be rubbish, but they weren't.

That's my anecdote.

I used to love Echobelly - about the same time as Gene i seem to remember - and both bands were very influenced by the Smiths. I bought Echobelly's records (on vinyl) but don;t think I ever saw them live. Wish I had though.
  • mmitchell88
    Porgy wrote:
    I used to love Echobelly - about the same time as Gene i seem to remember - and both bands were very influenced by the Smiths. I bought Echobelly's records (on vinyl) but don;t think I ever saw them live. Wish I had though.

Feel free to appropriate my anecdote and use as your own! :D
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Porgy wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

My god how fit was the singer from Lush *swoon* my art teacher looked a lot like her too!

I never saw any of those bands.

I did see A supporting Marion on Fistral beach before their first single was released. Which was nice.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Porgy
    prawny wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

My god how fit was the singer from Lush *swoon* my art teacher looked a lot like her too! Marion on Fistral beach before their first single was released. Which was nice.

Yeah - and there a were a disproportionate number of young cute lookalike girlies in the audience. :P
  • pottssteve
    Oh yeah, I forgot about Echobelly...Their lead singer was a cute young lady, IIRC.

As for Sleeper, the unfortunately named Louise Wener was, is my opinion, a real knockout! I saw them play at a pub/club in Brighton on a very low stage. Being right at the front I think I was about 8 inches away from being arrested. She had this peculiar habit of blinking a lot; odd, but oddly sexy....
  • (Quote from Prawny)
    I did see A supporting Marion on Fistral beach before their first single was released. Which was nice.

Christ on a bike! Marion. What a top band they were. There first proper single "Sleep" was a blinder.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • These Animal Men I saw quite a few times; absolutely brilliant.
  • mmitchell88
    pottssteve wrote:
    I was about 8 inches away from being arrested.

Show-off
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve wrote:
    I was about 8 inches away from being arrested.

Show-off

I have very short arms.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Cult 1986
    Curve 1991
    The Cure 1989
    Sonic youth 1991
    Suede 1993
    Jesus and marychain 1990
    ACDC 1991
    Primal scream 1994
    PJ Harvey 1993
    Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 1993
    My Bloody valentine 1991
    Swans 1991
    Beastie Boys 1992
    Happy Mondays 1990
    and so on....
  • Porgy
    edited July 2009
    dmclite wrote:
    Curve 1991
    Jesus and marychain 1990
    My Bloody valentine 1991

and me.

I didn't get to see Sonic Youth till about 95 - at Reading Festival - so that apparently doesn't count - but it was a blinder of a performance.

Dinosaur Jr in 1991 - and again a few years later
    Pixies in 1990
    Jesus & Mary Chain 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 2008 - ish
    The Fall 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
  • all show no go
    all show no go Posts: 542
    edited July 2009
    First "band" I saw live was Adam & The Ants in 1982 in London.
    This makes me very cool.
  • Porgy
    edited July 2009
    First "band" I saw live was Adam & The Ants in 1983 at the London Coliseum.
    This makes me very cool.

if only you'd said 1979 then that would have been cool. :P

My first "band" was Billy Bragg - also in 1983.

Edit - no it wasn't I saw Gary Numan in 1983 - I saw Billy Bragg in 1984. Doh!
  • mmitchell88
    edited July 2009
    This makes me very cool.

Indeed it does. (EDIT: Well, I think it makes you cool!). About 5 hours ago I burned 'The Day I met God' onto a mix CD for the car. Then I sat in the car, which was parked on the drive, and listened to it. You do these things when you've got kids.

My first live band was GNR at Donington 1988.
  • Porgy
    This makes me very cool.

Indeed it does. About 5 hours ago I burned 'The Day I met God' onto a mix CD for the car. Then I sat in the car, which was parked on the drive, and listened to it. You do these things when you've got kids.

My first live band was GNR at Donington 1988.

The best stereo we own happens to be in the car - seems like a waste to me. :(
  • Porgy wrote:
    This makes me very cool.

My mum wouldn't have let me go to a gig in '79, I was only 9 years old. Although I do listen to Dirk Wears White Sox still. For me, nothing else but Debbie Harry existed in my dark little world at the end of the seventies..
  • Porgy
    Porgy wrote:
    This makes me very cool.

My mum wouldn't have let me go to a gig in '79, I was only 9 years old. Although I do listen to Dirk Wears White Sox still. For me, nothing else but Debbie Harry existed in my dark little world at the end of the seventies..

yeah - me too - although i'm a little older. Funnily enough I finally got to see Blondie about 5 years ago - and from a distance she still looked pretty good. :P

After Blondie split I got into Bowie - that had my parents worried for a bit. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    List of shame now....

Whitney Houston 1988
    Simple Minds 1985
    Arrested Development 1993

and to my utter shame and not my fault,

Bros, Hammersmith Apollo 1988.......ouch.
  • Porgy
    edited July 2009
    I have a list of shame too - don;t spread it around

1. Bryan Adams 1993
    2. Dave Stewart 1994
    3. Eric Clapton 1990

1 and 2 were with my wife - she liked them and 3 was becasue i was given a free ticket and couldn't get out of it - the most tedious 2 1/2 hours of my life to date.

EDIT - just remembered one
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Ok, so this has turned into a "most embarrassed" thread;

Eric Clapton (supported by a little-known Chris Rea) around 1985

Fun Lovin Criminals - 2000-ish

Simply Red (I know!)

Erasure (I KNOW, I KNOW!)

Santana

The Who (FANTASTIC!) last year

Bloomin heck, that's not many, must try harder!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Anonymous
    Forgot all about having to go with my neice to see ........

Steps. I know, I know completely shite but not as bad as last year having to take daughter and 3 friends to see the Bratz movie, Christ on a bike I've never known pain like that since going to see "Teenwolf" and walking out after an hour to the dismay of my then 15 yr old girlfriend ( I was 16 and moody).
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    What about Mansun, Cast, Jurassic 5 and numerous others?!

My dad taught Phil Lynott (of Thin Lizzy) to play guitar - Thin Lizzy then toured as his band's (Arrival) support band in the early 70s. Before Phil realised my mum was married to my dad, he asked her out. He still plays bass in a local band - all funk type stuff. Not a normal dad of 58 years old!

My list of shame is poor as it my list of good bands I've seen - I tend to listen to a lot of music but not actually go to gigs.

The Verve were good though.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    The Clash, PIL, The Who and of course The Stranglers.....they just don't make em like that anymore!
  • mmitchell88
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    What about Mansun, Cast, Jurassic 5 and numerous others?!

No-one has mentioned Ocean Colour Scene yet. Will someone please do so soon, so that I may pour contempt on that sorry useless bunch. Where are they know? I bet they've become accountants and upholsterers....
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    My dad taught Phil Lynott (of Thin Lizzy) to play guitar

Whoa!
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    - Thin Lizzy then toured as his band's (Arrival) support band in the early 70s. Before Phil realised my mum was married to my dad, he asked her out. He still plays bass in a local band - all funk type stuff. Not a normal dad of 58 years old!

This is too good! Who is your Dad? The guitarist or the bass player of Arrival?
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    My list of shame is poor as it my list of good bands I've seen - I tend to listen to a lot of music but not actually go to gigs.

My list of shame is pretty much all the sub-pub rock bands that ended up playing Mbro town Hall in the early 90s. But I'd highlight Tigertailz whose biggest hit, as you all know, was Love Bomb Baby.
  • Porgy
    At this point can I just mention that I once saw the Las (1988 - or 87?) - better than the Stone Roses by a long way.

<memory making grinding noises>
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    some cool some not and i knowi have forgotten some.

Simle Minds 89 leeds
    Runrig 90 on the shore of loch lomond (missed inxs for that :cry: )
    Genesis 90 i think it was 90 knebworth
    GnR 92? gateshead
    Bjork ?? ??
    then it all went wrong and i know i have seen
    Garbage
    Prodigy
    Underworld
    Transvision Vamp
    Faith no More
    Soundgarden
    Salad
    Echobelly
    Republica
    I think the last 3 may have been at a gathering, not a festival!

and Madness
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Porgy wrote:

I've seen Lush live - Great band - great music, harmonies etc. Good to see Miki and Emma upfront.

Haven't seen Jesus though.