Levi out with broken wrist

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Levi, Lance and Bruyneel have all posted on Twitter that Levi's broken his scaphoid and is out of the Tour. Poor guy must be gutted.

Comments

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    ouch! I have done that and it kills!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wiggins 4th :shock:
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Damn, tough luck for Levi. Eases Asatan's leadership woes though.
  • Ooh, that's gotta smart! He must have hit the ground quite heavily, what with him not having far to fall due to his height......
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Wiggins 4th :shock:

GO TWIGGO!!!!!
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Poor little levi
    www.dotcycling.com
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Lance loses chief lieutenant at the worst possible time, on a nothing stage.
    Has his luck finally run out?

Surely, somebody will remember what happened to the Distana train, on the Col de la Schlucht, in 2005 and hit them hard?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    on one hand, poor levi... on the other hand GO WIGGO!
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Surely, somebody will remember what happened to the Distana train, on the Col de la Schlucht, in 2005 and hit them hard?
    No, as that was surely one of the most forgettable tours in recent history, right there with erm, 2004. Please tell all.

Actually once Lance had 5 wins I kind of switched off until he retired.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Couldn't they just have put his wrist in a cast and shaped it so it hooked onto his handlebars so he can keep riding!? Jeez- these pro riders are so delicate! :roll:
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    bipedal wrote:

Not how (T)Wiggo would have wanted to progress up the rankings I'm sure, but 4th place is 4th place!

It really will be interesting to see how he goes when the racing really starts....
  • hot rod
    hot rod Posts: 412
    bikerZA wrote:
    Damn, tough luck for Levi. Eases Asatan's leadership woes though.
    and when was he even up for leadership then ?
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Couldn't they just have put his wrist in a cast and shaped it so it hooked onto his handlebars so he can keep riding!? Jeez- these pro riders are so delicate! :roll:

That was my first thought but then I thought about descending through the alps and only being able to brake 1 handed, pulling out now is probably the sensible decision.
  • shinyhelmut
    The scaphoid is a particularly nasty bone to break and can lead to major complications if it is not properly immobilised, I don't think plastering it up and riding on would be wise. There's always the Vuelta for Levi.

Of course Tyler would have just stuck on an elastoplast and ridden on to the podium cos he was well 'ard/doped up to the eyeballs (delete as appropriate)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    bipedal wrote:
    Yes, Wiggins sounds gutted for Levi on his Twitter :wink:

Wiggins is now in fourth place but remove Nocentini from the mix and he's really third amongst the main contenders. Whether this will last, we'll see.
  • shinyhelmut
    Kléber wrote:
    Whether this will last, we'll see.

A part of me hopes it doesn't because then it will be easier to believe that he really is riding clean.
  • Pokerface
    The scaphoid is a particularly nasty bone to break and can lead to major complications if it is not properly immobilised, I don't think plastering it up and riding on would be wise.

You need to turn your sarcasm filter OFF. The obviously sarcastic statements aren't getting through! :roll:
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    The scaphoid is a particularly nasty bone to break and can lead to major complications if it is not properly immobilised, I don't think plastering it up and riding on would be wise. There's always the Vuelta for Levi.

It's a pretty heavy cast by the look of the picture he's posted:

http://twitpic.com/amms8
  • Pokerface
    Kléber wrote:

A part of me hopes it doesn't because then it will be easier to believe that he really is riding clean.

And why wouldn't Wig the Twig be clean AND be able to perform well at the Tour?

He's dropped loads of weight so can climb better. He was always a good time trialist and that's one of the things that has moved him high up the GC.

This year's Tour has been pretty dull when it comes to changes in the overall GC - so he hasn't had the chance to lose time yet.

In the past he spent a lot of time focussing on the the track - now he's focussed solely on the road - and it's paying off.

If the stars align just right - he COULD podium. Unlikely, but possible. We'll see in just over a week. Probably less.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Kléber wrote:

On the other hand, if he does keep it up and you are fairly certain he's clean (as I am), it would suggest that the sport is a lot cleaner than it used to be and that clean riders can thrive.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pokerface wrote:
    He's dropped loads of weight so can climb better. He was always a good time trialist and that's one of the things that has moved him high up the GC.

This year's Tour has been pretty dull when it comes to changes in the overall GC - so he hasn't had the chance to lose time yet.

In the past he spent a lot of time focussing on the the track - now he's focussed solely on the road - and it's paying off.

If the stars align just right - he COULD podium. Unlikely, but possible. We'll see in just over a week. Probably less.

......................................One Down Two to GO

Are you saying that Garmin have Drugs or is it the GB team.
    Why don't you come out with it and tell us all or are you full of innuendo's to stir the Sh*t. ????

We know he has the Power and now he can use it in a different way and with so much Weight Loss since the Giro.

As stated, this Tour is nothing but a "Procession" so far and we still await to see if they will ever RACE.

If they keep the pace down for the Old Man to the end then Bradley will get a Top 5 (after CVV) instead of his Target top 20.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Kléber wrote:

FFS
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

FFS

I can't believe as many as two people were drawn by this comment. Doesn't even deserve a comment.
  • hot rod
    wow imagine if mr wiggins was italia :lol:
    would the comments be similar :twisted:
  • Pokerface
    deejay wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

......................................One Down Two to GO

Are you saying that Garmin have Drugs or is it the GB team.
    Why don't you come out with it and tell us all or are you full of innuendo's to stir the Sh*t. ????

We know he has the Power and now he can use it in a different way and with so much Weight Loss since the Giro.

As stated, this Tour is nothing but a "Procession" so far and we still await to see if they will ever RACE.

If they keep the pace down for the Old Man to the end then Bradley will get a Top 5 (after CVV) instead of his Target top 20.

Ermnnn... you didn't read my post correctly. :shock:

At no point did I imply that Wiggo was on any kind of drug. In fact, just the opposite.

I was explaining why he is much better this year than other years.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    What odds on a Brit double, Wiggo in yellow and Cav in green?
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    What's his chances of hanging on through the Alps and on the Ventoux, and stepping up one place onto the podium in the final TT?
  • hot rod
    iain_j wrote:
    What's his chances of hanging on through the Alps and on the Ventoux, and stepping up one place onto the podium in the final TT?
    ithat would be cool :lol:
  • This what Darth Bruyneel has to say about Levi's wrist etc....

Astana director says he expects attacks from rivals

Johan Bruyneel has responded to Levi Leipheimer's departure from the Tour de France, on Friday, with a broken wrist.

Speaking to Cyclingnews on Friday morning in Vittel, the Astana directeur sportif expressed his disappointment at losing one of the team's key riders.

"He had a bad night so we took him to the hospital, where we saw the fracture this morning," he said. "Obviously it's disappointing and for us it changes a lot. He was fourth on GC and he's one of the guys that could have won the Tour."

Bruyneel said the loss of Leipheimer - who had been 0:39 adrift of Rinaldo Nocentini's (AG2R La Mondiale) yellow jersey lead - would encourage rivals in the race for overall honours to make their move.

"We'd wanted to keep our options open and this morning we lost one of those options. Strategically we are now weaker and it is likely to motivate the other teams to attack us today."

Speaking specifically about Friday's hilly stage 13 from Vittel to Colmar, Bruyneel expects other teams to attempt to take advantage of Leipheimer's absence.

"I don't know if it will determine the outcome of the stage as the climb [of the Col du Firstplan] is a long way from the finish, but it will weaken us as we'll have one less guy. I expect attacks today.

"That's the race, you know, we'll have to deal with the situation," added Bruyneel.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    I don't think it'll make a jot of difference to the other teams, Astana may be slightly weaker as a team but Levi was never a "marked man" for the other teams IMO.

The rest of the teams really need to form some serious alliances if they are to challenge Astana for overall victory, much like they tried when LA was the man! The only thing that will stop Bertie or (less so) LA is sustained attacks or infighting within Astana itself as far as I can see.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/