Cavendish great

2»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,894
    For me, Cav is a refreshing change, and a great bonus for british cycling, and cycling in general.

All this random negativity, just re-inforces the unfortunate fact that Brits, (or is just the English?) don't seem to like winners. Nearly men are lauded for there efforts, and the winners are too cocky and 'up themselves' - no pun intended, but it appears they can't 'win' either way.

Mind boggling, and in total contrast, I am led to believe, to other countries opinions of there winners, whom generally seem to have more sporting success than ourselves.

Still, if it keeps people happy I suppose.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Tusher wrote:

Anyway, he's gorgeous and I want to have his babies.

You are a chick, I mean burd, tart, sorry woman, right?

Anyway, on an entirely unrelated matter, who's your favorite banana split? :wink:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW Cav is a Manxman and calling him English would be treated in similar offence to doing the same to a Welshman, Scotsman or Irishman.

I'm currently reading his book and he does hold some strong opinions and it's understandable who he's not universally loved.

His victory at Milan - San Remo was still a great achievement and at least Columbia have been taking the race to the other teams. Nobody got upset when Cipo was doing the same thing a few years ago.

Cav rides clean i.e. no headbutts, bargeing or switching and there's no doubt he's the man to beat on the flat stages. Watchin Milram trying to take Columbia on yesterday was interesting, they were blowing really hard just to keep up! Even without a lead-out train, I'd doubt there's many to beat him mano-e-mano - he's taken sprinting to a new level.

I rode past his house - does this make mine a valid opinion?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    A lot of stuff Cav say's is straight after being interviewed at the end of the stage,and after loads of stupid questions by some reporters.He's bound to say some daft things.He's 24 years old and the fastest galloper in the world.I for one couldn't care less what he says as he has to live with that himself.I just want to see him keep winning.
    He is a young lad and great for cycling.He comes across as a very loyal bloke and a very loving one in his book.
    How many of you who knock him are squeaky clean and haven't said things you may later regret. :roll:
    Are you all eddie the eagle,frank bruno,or tim henman fans.
    Cav is a WINNER.

In 20 years time he might regret saying some things but he will look back more at what he achieved on a bike.

Go Cav Go
  • The Bullet
    The Bullet Posts: 16
    Are you all eddie the eagle,frank bruno,or tim henman fans.
    Ha, love it, that just made me laugh out loud. :lol:
    "Pain is temporary...
    ... If I quit, however, it lasts forever. "

Lance Armstrong
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    Monty Dog wrote:
    FWIW Cav is a Manxman and calling him English would be treated in similar offence to doing the same to a Welshman, Scotsman or Irishman.

you mean chuffed to bits, like being upgraded to 1st class on a plane? :twisted:

TIN HAT GOES ON
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Tusher wrote:
    Cav is brilliant, a genius at what he does, and he's got more people interested in cycling than anyone before. 

Actually, I suspect that despite the supreme confidence regards his abilities (which he's right to have) he's actually a bit shy.

WHAT! :shock: I think Cav is brilliant and is a breath of fresh air. But a genius? That word is getting bandied about a bit too much these days.

So you comparing Cav to Leonardo da Vinci? Or can you explain why Cav is a genius?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    COME ON TIM!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Because he can do things with his talents that only a handful of others can.
  • I think he'd be a completely different person in real life, and i'm sure if I met him down the pub he'd come accross differently. He's 24, the best in the world at what he does, but I don't think he's the best one a camera or microphone is stuck in his face.

Kimi Raikonen is apparently the complete opposite to his public persona...
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I think he'd be a completely different person in real life, and i'm sure if I met him down the pub he'd come accross differently. He's 24, the best in the world at what he does, but I don't think he's the best one a camera or microphone is stuck in his face.

There's a video on livestrong.com of him, Armstrong and Hincapie and he's very shy and bashful in it (apart telling Armstrong his room stinks)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I think he'd be a completely different person in real life, and i'm sure if I met him down the pub he'd come accross differently. He's 24, the best in the world at what he does, but I don't think he's the best one a camera or microphone is stuck in his face.

There's a video on livestrong.com of him, Armstrong and Hincapie and he's very shy and bashful in it (apart telling Armstrong his room stinks)

I did actually see that (addicted to all the TDF rider's twitterings at the mo!)... I agree, he looked very shy and didn't really know what to say... My girlfriend after saying "what are you watching that for..." then said "arrrr loook at him! he's so cute and looks terrified!"
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Tusher wrote:

You are a chick, I mean burd, tart, sorry woman, right?

Anyway, on an entirely unrelated matter, who's your favorite banana split? :wink:

Can't even remember the last time anyone called me a burd, or even a tart (slaaaap Robmanic), but yes, I am female.

And sadly old enough to be his mother, so he wouldn't even give me a second look, but hey- we 40 somethings can dream, can't we?

He's getting married in October, and one of the things I like about his personality is that he's loyally stayed with his childhood sweetheart and not played the field as his fame would have allowed him- so many young sportsmen go off the rails when they achieve the success they work so hard.

And he didn't buy the Audi after MSR. Suspect he's well grounded.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    [quote="TusherCan't even remember the last time anyone called me a burd, or even a tart (slaaaap Robmanic), but yes, I am female.

[/quote]

Owwwwchh! Harder, I've been VERY naughty!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    Nickwill wrote:
    I think he's great for the sport. What has everyone got against him? I don't think he's arrogant. He just knows how good he is. False modesty is dishonest, and Cav strikes me as being straight down the middle honest. He tells it how it is! There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here who hate winners and seem to thrive on negativity. I really wonder why some of them take any interest in the sport at all!

Jeez, so many clichés in one sentence. 8)
    The guy is not a likeable person in many peoples eyes.
    So what's all this crap about negativity and keyboard warriors; aren't people allowed an opinion?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Avalon, keep those comments to yourself please.

;D
  • It's a shame Cav gets knocked for simply being a winner. I for one am chuffed that we now have a roadie who is genuinely world class. He says it as he see's it, much like McEwen in his pomp, and I find that a refreshing change. He backs up his confidence with victory after victory. He (and his team) seem to have instilled some kind of fear-factor into the opposition rendering him almost unbeatable. Many people say that he's becoming boring because he wins in the same way all the time. Um, how else do sprinters win? Surely it's down to the other teams to also make a race of it. A bit like teams being unwilling or unable to take on the yawnfest that is the Astana team packing out the front of a mountain stage. Cav has at least another 10 years of wins in him and I look forward to them all.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Because he can do things with his talents that only a handful of others can.

So are they geniuses as well?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    So, on the basis of a handful of comments, which will have been edited to buggery (technical journalistic term meaning designed to elicit controversy), some on this forum can come to a valid and justifiable conclusion about his personality/character? :roll:

I, on the basis of a handful of posts by those same people, have come to the valid and justifiable conclusion that they are driven by envy, malice and the knowledge that they are complete losers. :roll:

Cavendish is brilliant at what he does and is, like many sprinters have to be, utterly confident of his own abilities and, like a good many Brits, prone to the odd wind-up.

Good for him.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960

I met him last year after the Tour - and you are spot on. He's completely different in person and very shy and quiet.

When the cameras are on (usually at the end of a stage) and the adrenaline is still pumping - he's a different beast.