Cavendish great

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,788
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Just wanted to first post to be something other than 'Cavendish racist' especially the day after he equals the number of Tour stage wins by a Brit. I think he deserves better.

Comments

• inseine wrote:
    Just wanted to first post to be something other than 'Cavendish racist' especially the day after he equals the number of Tour stage wins by a Brit. I think he deserves better.
    Yes, in terms of riding a bike fast for the last 200m of a Tour stage, he has achieved great things. He's still a prick though. :wink:
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    know him personally do you?
    i suppose if you believe everything you read you can garner these opinions
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Aurelio, you are clearly an expert and I bow to your insightful comments.
  • camerone wrote:
    He admit's as much himself...

"I'm an arsehole," said Cavendish

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/m ... ions-22416
  • camerone
    aurelio wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    He admit's as much himself...

"I'm an arsehole," said Cavendish

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/m ... ions-22416

so you dont know him personally then. you only decided he was a prick when he said this? in that case landis is clean. hoorah!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    aurelio wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Yes, in terms of riding a bike fast for the last 200m of a Tour stage, he has achieved great things. He's still a prick though. :wink:

Takes one.........
  • Harry Hill
    Harry Hill Posts: 114
    You most certainly don't have to know someone personally to know whether they are a prick or not.

I don't know ANY uk politician personally but I can tell you very easily what they are from their actions/attitudes/behaviour

Same with cyclists. Why would they be any different? If a guy says "I'm an arsehole" they belive him.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Gazzaputt
    Bloody hell some people are bit serious. Ok should follow with and :P and :D and :wink: and maybe a :roll:
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Surely an arsehole is different from a prick? Or was my biology GCSE a complete waste of time? :?
  • The Bullet
    The Bullet Posts: 16
    He's still a prick though.
    I don't like to form an opinion of someone through the media but I can't help disliking him.

Every time the Columbia train hits the front I find myself shouting at the tv willing anybody to take them on - but why do the other teams let them take the lead? Is at that Columbia are just too good or is everybody else afraid?

Anyway I digress, the point is I'm English through and through - what ever sport I'm watching I support my own country but when it comes to Cav I find myself routing for Hushovd and Farrar and anybody else that might beat him.

Why won't someone just god damn beat him!?
    "Pain is temporary...
    ... If I quit, however, it lasts forever. "

Lance Armstrong
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    He's the best thing to happen to British Cycling in a long time... Long may he rule!! :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Moomaloid wrote:
    He's the best thing to happen to British Cycling in a long time... Long may he rule!! :D

Indeed.
  • The Bullet
    The Bullet Posts: 16
    He's the best thing to happen to British Cycling in a long time... Long may he rule!!

He's got nothing on Wiggo and over the next couple of years we're going to see that.
    "Pain is temporary...
    ... If I quit, however, it lasts forever. "

Lance Armstrong
  • Gazzaputt
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:

Indeed.

+1
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    He's a flawed human being (unlike we perfect folk on here), but a terrific BRITISH sprinter, that's enough for me to support him. Can't say I'd enjoy going for a pint with the guy, but that's an unlikely scenario and he probably wouldn't like me either.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    aurelio wrote:
    inseine wrote:

I'm sure he's as bothered by you thinking he's a prick as you are by folk on here thinking you are a prick.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    aurelio wrote:

Actually I think it's riding a bike faster than anyone else, and often after 200K of riding alongside the very best riders around. I think his public persona is crap, he comes over in interviews as a bit of a plank. But then again having to say interesting things each day is a completely separate skill from being a great rider. Let's actually enjoy a Birit that's on the top of his game being better than anyone else around at that particular thing.
    Go CAV

:D:D:D
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    Come on, leave it out you lot! Where's dennisn? Maybe he knows him? As for forming an opinion through the media, how else are we supposed to form one?

I'm going to agree with the OP. I can see why people don't like Cavendish, but you have to admire his acheivements, even if he does have the best lead out, and the other sprinters have been off form. It's still incredible.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    He doesn't do himself any favours in interviews/press conferences, but having heard some of them in full, I have to say he gets asked some ridiculously inane/banal questions. Combined with them occuring day after day, and his straight-talking style....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Moomaloid wrote:

+1. If his name was Marco Cavendelli, most of his knockers would be raving about him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    aurelio wrote:
    It's just like everybody raving about Usain Bolt, I mean he only runs for 10 or 20 seconds, I can run for hours!
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    +1. If his name was Marco Cavendelli, most of his knockers would be raving about him.

I wouldn't
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I think he's great for the sport. What has everyone got against him? I don't think he's arrogant. He just knows how good he is. False modesty is dishonest, and Cav strikes me as being straight down the middle honest. He tells it how it is! There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here who hate winners and seem to thrive on negativity. I really wonder why some of them take any interest in the sport at all!
  • camerone
    Nickwill wrote:
    I think he's great for the sport. What has everyone got against him? I don't think he's arrogant. He just knows how good he is. False modesty is dishonest, and Cav strikes me as being straight down the middle honest. He tells it how it is! There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here who hate winners and seem to thrive on negativity. I really wonder why some of them take any interest in the sport at all!

because losers dont like winners?
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Seems to be leading the threads standings too:

Lance threads: 3
    Cav threads: 4
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Seems to be leading the threads standings too:

Lance threads: 3
    Cav threads: 4

Yeah but all threads become lance threads eventually. :wink:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Nickwill wrote:
    There are a lot of keyboard warriors on here who hate winners
    Probably 'lefties', 'Frenchies', or both... :roll:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Cav is brilliant, a genius at what he does, and he's got more people interested in cycling than anyone before. 

Actually, I suspect that despite the supreme confidence regards his abilities (which he's right to have) he's actually a bit shy.

Anyway, he's gorgeous and I want to have his babies.
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    I think we can safely say Piet Rooijakkers and Kenny van Hummel arn't keen on him.

I'm a fan of those two so you can probably guess what I think of it all...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Philip S wrote:
    Surely an arsehole is different from a prick? Or was my biology GCSE a complete waste of time? :?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372588/quotes

I feel I should add a PARENTAL GUIDANCE sticker but read the first quote.