pendle pedal

13»

Comments

• Got an email from Pennine events about timing and had I done 100 or 160 k my moment of glory has been rumbled .No response to my email of complaint to them. :roll:
    positivley 4th street
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    I went to get my timing my chip at the start and was told that my chip had already been given out. I was given another one and was told that they would make a note of it. Guess what, my bloody time isnt up for the 2nd year running!!!!!!!!
  • Great great route. It was my first ever road cycling event and I went for the 100 (104,6) option. Nearly killed me but already planning my next sportive. I am one of those annoying non cycling club riders who was just looking for the next hard thing to do. Got a Cannondale Six on my works bike2work scheme and thought I'd do something hard to raise a bit of cash for charity. I agree with the marshal and food comments, having to ask a marshall "which way is it?" isn't the best. Also re food by the time I got there there was no bananas at the 3rd and 4th feed station, just loads of bloody SIS.

My main gripe though was the time limit. The event is billed as a tough challenge for fit individuals, it is not a race. There was no mention of a time limit on application through the website but when the number came through a 12mph from 9am was announced. I finished 2nd to last, in hrs 52 from an 8.04 start. But 19 were timed out and listed as did not finish 13 of which made it to the half way split. At the last feed station in Clitheroe one of the marshalls who was packing up said to another rider, "you may as well come back in the bus and give us your chip", I buggered off to the finish. There's no way Im going to pay £27, ride 90 miles and then do the last 15 in a bus missing Pendle! 5 minutes after I'd finished the finish had been packed up. I am 28, 11stone, body fat of 10%, and have run 2 marathons in c.4 hours. In my opinion this event was falsely advertised. Next year it should only be open to club cyclists if the same start time and time limit is to be in place. Why couldn't I start at 7am? Why the elitist time limit? I feel really sorry for the 13 people who got to Lancaster and are down on the website as "did not finish".

They probably did finish but the organisers were sat at home watching CountryFile.
  • that was 9 hours 52 mins
  • getprg
    getprg Posts: 245
    I am listed as the last finisher in 9 hours 57 mins - officially therefore Lanterne Rouge - a position carrying some status in the TDF but perhaps not in the Pendle Pedal!

This was my first 100 mile ride. I was disappointed with my position but having reflected on various comments maybe I am being a bit hard on myself. I started riding just over 1 year ago aged 55. My cateye recorded a ride time of 9 hrs 5 mins with av speed of 11.7mph to cover 107 miles (a bit further than most!)

Signage visibility could be improved. I did the White Rose Challenge medium route a couple of weeks before as training. They painted directions on the tarmac at all junctions - it avoids interference with signs. On the PP I got lost three times. Once before Longridge Fell, where I followed another rider who I had spoken with earlier - only to realise they were ducking out and heading home to Preston! Next on Pendle Hill before Rough Lee and ended up going via Barley and heading back towards Rimington - then ended up on a gated road with two other riders. Finally in Barnoldswick - ignoring the right turn over the canal. I suppose I should be grateful I ever got back.

I was due to ride with a buddie but he had to duck out the night before due to serious family illness. So I rode alone apart from a group of 4 who invited me to draft for about 5 miles after Wray - I am eternally grateful even though I finally dropped off the back.

The experience on the whole was good although I remain frustrated at my pace - but avoided any temptation to stick with riders too fast for me. I conserved myself well - I was warned at the start to save myself for Nick o Pendle and Black Hill. Drank 6 litres of fluid - stoked up on energy gels, bars and bananas. I rode every hill - my proudest achievement. Will I be back? Probably! Sub 9 hours including stops is my next target.