RPCC Ride - Sat 18th / Sun 19th July

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Right then, where were we... ah yes - a few more sportives done and dusted so time for the next RPCC ride! :D

Probably a no-show from me due to planned bike rest / being in Worthing / possibly buggering off somewhere as I'm not working at the moment, and I know the same applies to Myk-ee who is having a bike break and Phips & Mal-inger who are both seemingly riding the Giant of Provence every other day... gits...! :evil:

But as ever, please don't let that stop you riding - Art Vandelay, Berns12, The Emu and Felgen may still be up for an RPCC spin, and there is still a VERY slim chance that I might be about! I won't run the poll as this seems to be a firm Saturday thing now, but please do use this as a tool to kick off a Sunday run as well / instead if that's a preferred option.

So, for those of you coming to join us, usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 9am start on Saturday is most likely,
although keep an eye out as earlier starts seem to be happening now and Sunday might be favoured by some
:arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate), by the little white building
:arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph usually, but nobody gets dropped
:arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)
As ever I'd like to emphasise that new faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! Be good to see some of the faces we have seen over the past months re-appear too! 8)

A collection point at Hampton Court can be arranged as that tends to be the route out. Please let us know if you need to take this option - it's usually just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again so if you plan to use this option we need to know, and please be on time (although there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for us to be a little late coming through). Collection time there is likely to be around 20-30mins after the agreed RP start time so again, keep an eye out.

So, who is about this weekend and when? :shock: 8) :D

Comments

• NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Sadly it is also a no show for me this weekend as well.

I have to work on Saturday (doh!!) and am doing The London Bikeathon charity ride on Sunday.
  • NWLondoner
    So a good time on the Devils then?
  • Rich-Ti
    Yup - recommend it as a sportive to enter, really enjoyed it 8)
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Yeah, I'm not in this weekend. Just need to let my body rest and let the 45 (31 on the legs and 14 on the arms) midge bites heal. Got a puncture and they attacked as I fixed it, by the time i felt the first bite I saw my skin crawling with tiny black specs, most unpleasant.

Devil Ride was really good. Great course, some challenging hills but quite managable and cracking descents. Good road surface mainly and very well organised. So I'd recommend it.

I'm not usually too controversial on forums, but better organised than the Dave Lloyd and generally better road choices (ie, better surfaced). However, the Dave is in a different league in terms of pain.
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • thebongolian
    thebongolian Posts: 333
    Not for me - tweaked my hamstring today so will be taking it easy if I ride at all.
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Regrettably I am on call again this weekend - they always seem to come around so fast! At least its the school holidays, so usually quieter as long as theres not some event going on.

Have a good ride - I will have to make do with commuting to work those two days. Still already got 108 miles in the bag from last weekend on the Devil.
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Is there a weight/age/coolness limit?

Also, if you live close to Box Hill, is it considered bad form to ride to RP, join the ride, then head home from BH (assuming that's the last climb)?
  • Rich-Ti
    Is there a weight/age/coolness limit?

Also, if you live close to Box Hill, is it considered bad form to ride to RP, join the ride, then head home from BH (assuming that's the last climb)?
    You mean there's a limit on coolness? Damn... :roll: :lol:

Anyone is welcome, and if you can get to RP by 9am from Box Hill then I see no reason why you shouldn't do exactly that - others often peel off at different times for different reasons so it's all good 8)
  • NWLondoner

Rich rides a CAAD9 for Christ's sake, don't get much lower than that :wink:
  • Rich-Ti
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Now now, just because it's aluminium... :P :lol:
  • Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Now now, just because it's aluminium... :P :lol:

Cripes, I still ride steel :roll:
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • Yeah - no way is a CAAD9 as cool as my composite 531/rust machine.

But if I use the bike, then I can justify buying a better one.
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    0900 start seems to be the idea and I would like to join. BTW, happy with an earlier start if that is the consensus. Not so happy with the forecast but as I sometimes mention to my wife "don't expect perfection".
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • J09
    J09 Posts: 122
    I'm a no show this week. I've had your sportive's, now I'm doing my big summer ride...

Enjoy the rides in the meantime. See you in August.
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    J09 wrote:
    I'm a no show this week
    Likewise for me. I should be on Ventoux the following Saturday as well :D
    Best of luck with the Trans-Alps J09 8)
    Enjoy this weekend's rides everyone.
  • tyskie
    tyskie Posts: 252
    Here's a new face who would like to come along. 9am is fine for me.
    Are there many others coming?
  • gbs
    tyskie wrote:
    Here's a new face who would like to come along. 9am is fine for me.
    Are there many others coming?

My reading is possibly three, all of us being new faces; doesn't feel like a quorum to me so unless others declare their hand in the course of today, Friday, I will pull out. :(

Hope to see you next weekend or thereafter.
  • NWLondoner
    Not a great weekend for newbies. Most of us have othes commitments this weekend. Dont give up though,try another week and you will see how good it is. Until then have a good weekend all
  • Shame. But if it's off, I shall have to drink beer tonight instead.
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    edited July 2009
    Shame. But if it's off, I shall have to drink beer tonight instead.

I am up for a run tomorrow and happy to lead in the absence of the deserters, but not inclined to do the full ride due to possible adverse weather conditions, and plus I hate that diversion into Peaslake.

I will probably turn off at the top of Coombe and head straight to Ranmore than do Box Hill before heading back.

9am at the park?

Who is in?
  • tyskie
    I'm in. Cheers for offering to lead. Weather tomorrow looks pretty good until later in the day. :D
  • I'm in if it's happening. Is it still 9:00am? It's a 13 mile ride for me to the start point.
  • simon johnson
    simon johnson Posts: 1,064
    I may be in, coming from North London though.....never seen the Surrey side of town!

Let me know where and when.

Simon.
    Where\'s me jumper?
  • gbs
    I may be in, coming from North London though.....never seen the Surrey side of town!

Simon.

Simon, Just in case Berns does not see yr request: I believe 0900 at the small building RHS of Richmond Gate, Richmond Park.

Berns, Good of you to step up - see you tomorrow.
  • NWLondoner
    gbs wrote:

Simon.

Simon, Just in case Berns does not see yr request: I believe 0900 at the small building RHS of Richmond Gate, Richmond Park.

Berns, Good of you to step up - see you tomorrow.

Yep, just wait at the small building just inside the richmond gate entrance.

Berns has chosen a good route. That peaslake detour is a b*tch of a route,

Have fun guys.
  • NWLondoner

Simon.

Hope you enjoy Box Hill for the first time :twisted:
  • tyskie
    I enjoyed the ride - good to do a new route. Thank you Berns for leading it.

See you all again soon. Off out now for beer and food to try and put the 2,900 calories I burnt back on.
  • gbs
    To Berns: many thanks for yr volunteering work today leading the newly inititiated around the hills and, more importantly for me at least, the route back to Richmond. I think I prefer the train from Epsom but it was good to do the whole route.

Does any one have the stats - distance and vertical gain?
  • I third that. Thanks to Berns. I hope you all enjoyed the rests I let you have at the top of the hills.
  • Rich-Ti
    Good work Bern - glad to see the ride still went ahead despite the absence of a lot of the usual suspects. A solid testament to the work we've all put in getting this started so a personal thanks from me buddy 8)