I've gone right off LA again - he sent me this tossy email

Eurostar
Eurostar Posts: 1,806
edited July 2009 in Pro race
Look at this self-serving, arrogant, dishonest bullshit. He really thinks if it wasn't for him world leaders wouldn't care about cancer:

Will you Commit?

Dear Nick,

Without your commitment to fight cancer, our leaders won’t pay attention.

I returned to cycling this year for one reason: to fight for the 28 million people affected by cancer worldwide.

We are making tremendous progress in this fight, but there’s still so much to be done. By next year cancer will be the #1 killer in the world and yet most of the world’s leaders lack any real plan to fight back.

During my 20-day ride in the Tour I'm calling on leaders around the world to make major commitments to fight cancer worldwide – but I can’t do it alone.

As a first step, will you join me and sign the World Cancer Declaration – a major global push to pressure the world's leaders to act now on cancer?

http://livestrongaction.org/campaigns/c ... ght-cancer

As an added incentive, a donor has pledged to give $30,000 if we can collect 30,000 signatures before the end of the Tour.

I'll send these signatures to world leaders after the Tour de France and pressure them to make cancer a priority in their own countries. It’s our best chance to push for better treatment, more funding for cancer research and access to care for everyone around the world.

Without your commitment, these leaders won’t pay attention. Will you sign the declaration then ask your friends and family to do the same?

When you sign the declaration, you'll be able to dedicate that action to a cancer survivor or caregiver who has inspired you. I dedicated my signature to my mom, who stuck by me – and fought alongside me – throughout my cancer fight. Who will you dedicate yours to?

We’ll be keeping you updated on our progress over the coming weeks – meanwhile, join me at LIVESTRONG Action and make your commitment now:

LIVESTRONG,

Lance and the LIVESTRONG Action team
<hr>
<h6>What\'s the point of going out? We\'re just going to end up back here anyway</h6>

Comments

• donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I don't see your problem with this. If you put your "signature" on the email (which costs you nothing) and 29,999 other people do the same, a donor with a lot of money will donate $30,000 to the cause. Who gets hurt by this?

And his campaign is actually working. He IS getting a lot of world leaders to not only meet with him but make commitments to fund cancer research at levels they've never done before.

You may not like Lance, but I don't see how this email is bad or "self serving" - especially since there's a near 100% chance Lance never wrote it but it was written by Livestrong's copy writers.
  • It actually sounds just the opposite to the way you describe it.
    Your reaction says way more about you than it does about him.
    You need to talk to your therapist about this. If you don't have one, get one.
    This level of venom is beyond reason, a sign of illness.

Eurostar wrote:
    Look at this self-serving, arrogant, dishonest bullshit. He really thinks if it wasn't for him world leaders wouldn't care about cancer:

Will you Commit?

Dear Nick,

I returned to cycling this year for one reason: to fight for the 28 million people affected by cancer worldwide.

We are making tremendous progress in this fight, but there’s still so much to be done. By next year cancer will be the #1 killer in the world and yet most of the world’s leaders lack any real plan to fight back.

During my 20-day ride in the Tour I'm calling on leaders around the world to make major commitments to fight cancer worldwide – but I can’t do it alone.

As a first step, will you join me and sign the World Cancer Declaration – a major global push to pressure the world's leaders to act now on cancer?

As an added incentive, a donor has pledged to give $30,000 if we can collect 30,000 signatures before the end of the Tour.

I'll send these signatures to world leaders after the Tour de France and pressure them to make cancer a priority in their own countries. It’s our best chance to push for better treatment, more funding for cancer research and access to care for everyone around the world.

Without your commitment, these leaders won’t pay attention. Will you sign the declaration then ask your friends and family to do the same?

When you sign the declaration, you'll be able to dedicate that action to a cancer survivor or caregiver who has inspired you. I dedicated my signature to my mom, who stuck by me – and fought alongside me – throughout my cancer fight. Who will you dedicate yours to?

We’ll be keeping you updated on our progress over the coming weeks – meanwhile, join me at LIVESTRONG Action and make your commitment now:

LIVESTRONG,

• markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    It actually sounds just the opposite to the way you describe it.

JackHammer, you appeared at the begining of the tour on a one man pro lance crusade and whilst i agree with your sentiment, could you confirm that Lance, livestrong or an associated compnay employ you?
  • markwalker
    markwalker wrote:

JackHammer, you appeared at the begining of the tour on a one man pro lance crusade and whilst i agree with your sentiment, could you confirm that Lance, livestrong or an associated compnay employ you?

Also when you talk about the level of Venom are you refering to your own vitriolic outburst above? Do you find therapy useful?
  • donrhummy wrote:
    I

And his campaign is actually working. He IS getting a lot of world leaders to not only meet with him but make commitments to fund cancer research at levels they've never done before.

quote]

not in ireland he's not you now have to drive 4-6 hours for treatment at a centre of excellence (i use the term loosley) wonder what his ride in the tour of ireland will acheive (apart from a shortening of the race from 5 to 3 days possibly due to his appearance fee ) i look forward to ouur lovcal cancer treatment services re-instated after his visit
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Well said Markwalker.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Famous person does bit to raise awareness and funds to beat cancer... wow what a bastard. :roll:
    People want to see him and he is donating his appearance fees to the cancer foundation, how is this self serving?

If you don't like him then fair enough, that is your prerogative, but attacking him over this is a bit beyond the pale.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    I'm sorry but Armstrong is slowly turning into Bono :roll:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Eurostar wrote:

Will you Commit?

Dear Nick,

LIVESTRONG,

you had cancer before I remember, am I correct?
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    As long as the links are to the ".org" site, I don't have a problem. The text is pedantic beyond belief, but the cause is good nonetheless.

and yeah, Mr. Walker, thanks for saying what I thought.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    markwalker wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

Also when you talk about the level of Venom are you refering to your own vitriolic outburst above? Do you find therapy useful?

You can talk,,, wished Tyler Hamilton...a run of the mill doper and decent pro rider IMO and many other people's view too IMO, was dead...no?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    this should be in the bullsh1t thread...can't we make a sticky?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    donrhummy wrote:
    I

quote]

not in ireland he's not you now have to drive 4-6 hours for treatment at a centre of excellence (i use the term loosley) wonder what his ride in the tour of ireland will acheive (apart from a shortening of the race from 5 to 3 days possibly due to his appearance fee ) i look forward to ouur lovcal cancer treatment services re-inst
    ated after his visit

Although I can't go off on the letter, donrhummy's contribution is Lanceboy silly. What a dick move on his part declaring LA's campaign a success. The world's politicians, doctors, and epidemologists are all irrelevant. Lance has intervened. Very funny.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Bakunin wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:
    I

quote]

not in ireland he's not you now have to drive 4-6 hours for treatment at a centre of excellence (i use the term loosley) wonder what his ride in the tour of ireland will acheive (apart from a shortening of the race from 5 to 3 days possibly due to his appearance fee ) i look forward to ouur lovcal cancer treatment services re-inst
    ated after his visit

Although I can't go off on the letter, donrhummy's contribution is Lanceboy silly. What a dick move on his part declaring LA's campaign a success. The world's politicians, doctors, and epidemologists are all irrelevant. Lance has intervened. Very funny.

I never said their contributions didn't matter. Why does saying Lance's campaign is a having an impact mean that no one else is?! You're so pre-disposed to hate Lance that you're putting meaning where there isn't any.

And he IS having an impact: http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/0 ... index.html (for one example)
    Hours after meeting cycling champion and cancer survivor Lance Armstrong, Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd announced his government would devote about $3.8 million in new funding to cancer research...."Lance has become a passionate advocate for cancer research -- and my government strongly supports his cause," Rudd said Tuesday, speaking in Adelaide.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I don't see a big deal in a charity asking for signatures to a petition. What effect the petition will have though, well this is a cycling forum.

Donrhummy, was the money really new money? Politicians have a knack of relabeling existing budgets? :wink:
    As an added incentive, a donor has pledged to give $30,000 if we can collect 30,000 signatures before the end of the Tour
    Who is this donor who makes charitable donations conditional on collecting signatures? I really hope this isn't a "harvesting" operation to get people to sign up, supply their email details and more.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Oh, we have a winner! Kléber understands how the intertubes work.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    No liking for LA nor his home country, but even I couldn't stoop to slapping him for doing SOMETHING for a worthwhile cause. Plenty of rich folk do precisely nothing for anyone but themselves.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • markwalker
    Dave_1 wrote:
    markwalker wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

You can talk,,, wished Tyler Hamilton...a run of the mill doper and decent pro rider IMO and many other people's view too IMO, was dead...no?

theres one thing being different Dave but youre just boring
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    So if LA only gets 29,999 signatures, the anonymous donor will do what... an evil Bond villain MWAHAHAHA laugh while burning 50 dollar notes down at the local cancer ward?
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    What's the problem here ? He's asking for signatures to a petition for the charity, why so many post going off on the usual, petty, childish tangents ?

Sign it, don't sign it, but grow the f((K up
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Well, I for one have no problem in signing a petition. A couple of my relatives have died from the illness.

If I start to get a load of junk e-mails I'll just block them.

I just wish that the Livestrong foundation would dedicate as much effort to cancer prevention, rather than cure and support for sufferers. Maybe I'll sign up to twitter (er, does that make me a sad loser to rival people on facebook? I think it probably does) and ask him about it.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    meagain wrote:
    No liking for LA nor his home country, but even I couldn't stoop to slapping him for doing SOMETHING for a worthwhile cause. Plenty of rich folk do precisely nothing for anyone but themselves.

Why should his home country be a factor in all this ? For me that says more about you than him .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    markwalker wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    markwalker wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

Dave aint the boring one around here Mark
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Moray Gub wrote:
    markwalker wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    markwalker wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

Dave aint the boring one around here Mark
    + 1
    If you don't want to sign a petition, don't sign it ... move on. If people started threads about every unsolicited email they received ,,, well there would be even less cycling chat, if that was possible ..
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Pointless Thread
  • Well said Markwalker.

He needs your support.... he's been responding to his own posts... the online version of talking to yourself. :lol:
  • markwalker
    Well said Markwalker.

He needs your support.... he's been responding to his own posts... the online version of talking to yourself. :lol:

I think not, you are like some of the other tw@ts on here that hijak a post and shout to to become the only one thats heard, as well as being blind to facts, Id probably lay money on the fact you were bullied as a child.
  • colint
    colint Posts: 1,707
    FFS, stop being a knob and grow up
    Planet X N2A
    Trek Cobia 29er
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz