Are radios really a problem?

2»

Comments

• csp
    csp Posts: 777
    People say that radios turn the riders into robots, who are always told what to do. But, what about a football match? There, too, Sir Alex Fergusson is telling his players what to do, he just doesn't need a radio for it. I could have come up with any other sport as an example. In cycling, team managers need radios, otherwise they would have to ride a bicycle themselves.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    johnfinch wrote:
    Well, Brunyeel is going to hand in a petition signed by 14 of the 20 teams against the banning of earpieces on a couple of stages.

http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves20 ... lette.html

To quote 'he would say that wouldn't he? (If you're are old enough to remember!!!!)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    woody-som wrote:
    Why the fuss over having radios, see how much more interesting it is without, look at what happened on the Tour of Britain series earlier this year, each person had to think for themselves and learn to work as a team on there own. No safety issue in those races without a radio.

There are no safety issues there because the entire route is barriered off and they ride the same short circuit over and over again.

It's a little bit different on the open road where the bunch has to contest with traffic islands, railway crossings, 100 km/ph descents and parked cars. Oh, and the peloton is four times the size.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    edited July 2009
    I can see a lot of gnashing teeth if Lance gets into a break blamed on no radios
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    NWLondoner wrote:

Just look at yesterday with Andy Schleck and his puncture. Would you really want someone to miss the chance of winning just because he could not communicate to his team that he is having a problem???

you have to dedicate a team member to ride with him..
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    micron wrote:
    BS hefty time penalty - what a great idea - hope Prudhomme's reading this. That or just tell them they can't start the stage.

Oh thats a good idea 100+ riders not taking the start ! :roll:
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Amusing comment from Wegelius on Twitter, "I hear the managers of the Champions League footy can't talk to their players in the game next year, is it true?"
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Steven de Jongh on Twitter seems to think that two riders from each team will be allowed a radio?

Just heard two riders are allowed to ride with communication ! Great deal!

Dunno if that's true or not. Can't find anyone else saying it.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I wasn't aware footballers were now playing with radios with the manager telling them when to shoot, when to pass and when to tackle. If a DS wants to stand by the side of the road shouting instructions I'm sure nobody is going to stop them.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • csp wrote:
    But, what about a football match? There, too, Sir Alex Fergusson is telling his players what to do, he just doesn't need a radio for it. I could have come up with any other sport as an example. In cycling, team managers need radios, otherwise they would have to ride a bicycle themselves.

I think manager's communication at football matches is even less reliable than race radios in the mountains. Alex Ferguson, sorry, Sir Alex Ferguson may shout a lot, but half the time it's at the referee, a quarter of the time it's at the opposition manager, an eight of the time it's at anyone who can listen, even though the noise of the crowd means even he can't hear, and a sixteenth of the time, it's actually giving instructions to his team, only half of which actually make it onto the pitch.

I say, ban radios in cycling, and ban Alex Ferguson, I mean, Sir Alex Ferguson, I mean, football managers from shouting.