cereal bars

pots
pots Posts: 109
edited August 2009 in Training, fitness and health
just wondering which cereal bar found on the supermarket shelves come closest to a bespoke energy bar ?

Comments

• Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Not sure any of them do really, but I find Geo bars tasty & with a reasonable calorie count. The cheap Lidl bars are good for a short ride.
    But you can get Trek & food doctor bars in Sainsburys & Tesco, Trek are a genuine energy bar, but cost almost as much as a pack of 5 Geo bars.
    My knees hurt !
  • vitesse169
    vitesse169 Posts: 422
    I've given up on all the energy bar thing - I did the Severn Bridge circuit on friday and took a banana. 2 gells and 2 bottles of energy drink. this was plenty esp as I went about 2 hours after brekkie....
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I had this Nestle bar last night, they are quire large but for a snack bar I was surprised to see 24g of carbs in them, I'm pretty sure it was carbs, it was in French though.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    Soreen.
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    huuregeil wrote:
    Soreen.

Yay! And as it sticks to your teeth and takes an age to dissolve it provides a long lasting source of energy :lol:
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    apologies Mods ...

i have posted this elsewhere, but i might as well cut and paste it here as well !

I swear by these things http://www.eatnatural.co.uk/

tried all sorts over the years ( gels ......nnnnnrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh like sugary mucus ! ) and had so so thoughts on them .

these natural bars are good to eat , flavoursome, variety of flavours and 3 for 1.65 in tesco ! ( 80 pence each in holland a barrat )

in fact BR seems to agree with me ! http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... bars-25822

my fave is the macademia and dark choc
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • Takis61
    +1, yoghurt coated apricot & nut ! M & S do their own brand in store, blueberry yoghurt covered one is ace.
    My knees hurt !
  • Nutrigrain bars are pretty good. Basically a stick of sugar, but really easy to chew and swallow even when gassing.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • fraserq
    fraserq Posts: 14
    Fig rolls or ,make your own flap jacks. Energy bars are a waste of cash.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Cadbury's brunch bars are great, don't know how they stack-up nutritionally though
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Kelloggs crunchy nut bars are quality :D
    They're about a tenner for 24 from costco
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Gav888
    Gav888 Posts: 946
    I think ive tried most of the cereal bars currently for sale in Tesco trying to find an alternative to the expensive energy bars that gives me loads of energy, and to be honest they all seem the same to me energy wise, so it really comes down to how easy they are to eat, and I find the Eat Natural yogurt bars are the best.

Ive not tried a Banana yet though....
    Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Dried apricots or raisins work well for me. I also like these, particularly the Tropical Fruit and Banana & Honey flavours. A box of 24 lasts a while. Geobars are tasty and cheap, last time I checked Tesco were doing 6 for about £1.60 - that's something like 30p each.

I think a lot of the branded cereal bars are too sickly or high in fat (or both). In which case you might as well have a Snickers bar for a proper sugar hit.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    fraserq wrote:
    Fig rolls or ,make your own flap jacks. Energy bars are a waste of cash.

Well they certainly was not a waste of cash for me when I did my longest ride ever, without them I'd be allot slower and not be able to do the full distance.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    huuregeil wrote:
    Soreen.

Yay! And as it sticks to your teeth and takes an age to dissolve it provides a long lasting source of energy :lol:

+1 :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • nutrigrain elevenses raisin bake bars are about as good as i've found, 165 calories per bar and only £2.25 for 6 i think, got me round the 102 mile north cornwall tor with 5 litres of nuun and a couple of bananas thrown in for good measure. powerbar etc are a total waste of money in my opinion, but they do look ever so gucci... if that floats your boat. for shorter events i prefer clif shot bloks, cran razz flavour, good stuff and easy on my stomach.
  • pots
    pots Posts: 109
    someone on another forum swears by 'fig newtons'.are they available from supermarket shelves,or are they just fig rolls with a different name ?you can get them mail order but seem quite expensive
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,306
    pots wrote:
    someone on another forum swears by 'fig newtons'.are they available from supermarket shelves,or are they just fig rolls with a different name ?you can get them mail order but seem quite expensive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fig_Newton
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Aptonia cereal bars from Decathlon? £1.45 for 6 of the mixed berry ones. Yum!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    kelloggs nutri-grain oat baked bar cherry flavour,soft,do not like hard bars
    going downhill slowly
  • Takis61
    Tesco had Nakd bars for 88p today - just got my Zipfit sample box so will be trying one of those shortly.
    My knees hurt !
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    If i have the time natures best oat bars are nice, ideal for those epic rides as they provide a nice long lasting source of energy.

But my favourites are eat natural apricot/almond and yoghurt bars and the power bar caramel ride bars, very good but not enough carbs for a epic.

Clif shot blocks are good on the go fodder.

I don't bother with energy drinks, they bloat me out, and i end up eating too much carbs so i drink nuun or lately high 5 zero which is nice and cheap 20 tabs for £6
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • swagman
    swagman Posts: 115
    You nonses, get some fruit cake down yer face .
    Pound for pound best energy value washed down with a cup of ceylon black tea.
    Keep yer goin for miles...
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I used to like the nutri-grain stuff, or whatever was cheap in tesco's but always came back to the eat natural bars, apart from the chocolate coated and yoghurt ones (left a yoghurt one in my backpack for too long and took a few bits out on the trail.... not nice.... and the chocolate ones melt).

Now I find that I can't eat wheat nor oats, so cheap flapjacks are out!

I use the 'eat natural' bars, 'sesame snaps' (3 small thin wafers in a pack, 163 kcal) and '9 bar' (this is carob topped so melts easily, best kept for cooler days 246kcal).
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • KevinMcC
    KevinMcC Posts: 95
    anyone tried the harvest something or other bars from aldi? noticed they were buy one get one free as I went past but no wallet on me so never went in to check them out. They any good?
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Flapjack is great but goes everywhere.

I quite like Crunchy oat granola bars. Quite dry but taste really nice and lots of energy in 'em.

Proper energy bars do work really well though, for a proper organised ride I'd always go with them.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    KevinMcC wrote:
    anyone tried the harvest something or other bars from aldi? noticed they were buy one get one free as I went past but no wallet on me so never went in to check them out. They any good?

I often get them cos they're cheap and tasty.
    More problems but still living....