Ryedale Rumble - Caper Hill included (gulp)

2»

Comments

• stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    what the hell was the finish doing back upto the school???..pure cruelty

this is a beast of a ride,absolutely brutal

Thanks to the guy from wetherby i spoke with over the last few miles,didn't catch your name but you'd punctured earlier,both of us went through the last few painful km's together..thanks

York 100 at the weekend,just a tad flatter!
  • bobh
    bobh Posts: 163
    Thanks for your kind comments JJDLD

It's the sort of event that the "team" really like to be involved with. Most of us having been organising races for over 30 years with National Championships and Premier Calendars being part of our annual programme. The Rumble though is the one event where we can have the craic and the smiles are genuine but they also maybe reflect what you all bring to us. We get used to the pro riders in the hard edged world of competition and so for us the Rumble is a weekend where we enjoy working to help people achieve their own personal goals. Organising a Sportive brings us into contact with ambitions so diverse sometimes you have to smile when you see riders achieving them. A big thank you also should go to the family and friends of riders who sat on the grass at the top of that final climb up to the finish and clapped every rider to the line.

Each year we've tried to bring something new to the event; the odd novelties such as jelly babies! The re-route over Caper Hill was a "novelty" brought about by the loss of the Bransdale loop due to land slip works. It was something that gave us a hectic couple of weeks leading up to the event in re-drafting all the routing charts and risk assessments, that lead to all the signs being in position. As all the local cyclists know Bransdale is stunning and we'll be hopefully back to the normal route next year, so if Caper Hill wasn't for you then don't worry you can consign it to being just a painful memory.

Less of a thank you to the kind soul who, on Saturday evening cut the signs down from the top of Blakey Bank where the routes deviate. Fortunately we check the whole route again on the morning of the ride and carry a spare one of everything.

Hopefully see you all again next year on the 8th August

Bob Howden
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Many thanks to all who gave their time so I could enjoy mine. When I say enjoy............ Loved the first half although I missed Bransdale but understand why, try and do my report later
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • arlo_m
    arlo_m Posts: 24
    Fantastic ride, great weather, friendly and smooth running – best sportive I've yet done and what a beautiful area of the country.

Back next year for more of the same.
  • bigal.
    bigal. Posts: 479
    Have to agree with all the comments posted as the Rumble is in my opinion the best organized sportive on the calendar. I have ridden most of the big sportives over the last few years and yesterday's event ran like clockwork with very friendly and helpful staff, fantastic feeds, stunning route and of course very difficult climbs. This is the first time I have ridden the Chimney and it didnt disappoint as it is very steep. Thankfully I managed the entire course without getting off in 7hrs 38 mins which is a bit annoying as if I hadnt chatted to people at feeds etc I would have made Gold.

Bob, wife and team- Pat yourselfs on the back for a tremendous effort in arranging a superb day for all.

Brian- If you read this I was driving the Honda Civic that flashed it hazards at you when you were heading home last night.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    What an event it was VERY well organised with great feed stops and even the weather was great.

It was a hard day out though and started off well and even had a gear to spare on BoltyBank. After Blaky though I could feel the miles in the legs and Caper hill was really bad - thanks bro!! A few people walking here and saw 1 guy fall off but he was unharmed.

Found the toughest stretch on the Roman road - I was a lone cyclist and slowed down here because I kept thinking about how bad the Chimney would be and would I get up as I could feel the miles/hills in the legs.

The chimney arrived and it was steep - very steep and lived up to its reputation but its short and I managed up and and the small crowd at the top cheering riders on was a nice touch. Its amazing but it shows how much nerves affect on your body as I reckon I lost a fair amount of time on the Roman Road dreading what was to come and after the chimney bank I felt great. Have only ever felt like that when doing the FWC heading towards Hardknott.

After the last feed I missed the sign went about a mile along the A170 to middleton before I realised my mistake. This gave me the extra incentive to push as fast as I could to the end.

My time was 8.06 so just scraped silver but I did not really set out for a time for this as I wanted to enjoy it as I have never been to the moors before. The country side was astounding and the moor tops were great.

What an oustanding day out and probably the best spotive I have ever done so a big thankyou to the organsiers. The HG in the school ground and the dining hall were something else

Nice to meet a lot of people - old and new. Meet Stu and Dave from the Lakes and John C from this Forum and I cannot remember his name but one of the guys who organised the Richmond 5 Dales sportive who I met at the BB at last years Mega Challenge.

Bigal - did not know that was you in the Civic. I was watching out for you during the event.
    Brian B.
  • bobh
    Results are now available on the http://www.sportident.co.uk website
  • John C.
    Great day out, starting with breakfast in the stunning dinning room. Setting out I rode with a lad called Colin from Wetherby, we kept the speed down as I over did things last year in the first section. A nice undulating start and being just nicely warmed up Boltby was easy enough . Then down to Caydale mill and the first proper ford :lol: and another typical North Yorks hill, ie. straight up for 400 yards, job done and on to the next which was after a nice long decent to the splendid Rievaulx Abby. Another little hill and down to the first feed station at Helmsley,
    The amount of food and variety on offer at the feed stations was amazing. Blackey Bank came and so did the sun, I managed to keep my heart rate down and every thing went well untill the last 200m when the crowd at the top started cheering us, a lad came up on my right wearing a polka dot top he looked don in, so I upped the pace and the crowd ( a dozen or so) cheered so I upped the gears and really went for it, I was storming it, then I heard it , a little voice, 'come on daddy, go daddy go' Oh no , had I just dashed the hopes of the polka dot wearers little child, if so, I am sorry . If he'd cheered 5 seconds earlier I wouldn't have gone, honest.
    Then down down down to Castleton and round to Lealholm drinks/food stop, a quick refuel and up Capper hill, good to see the marshells with water here, as it was at the top of Blackey. To be honest I was OK here, it was the bit straight after, from Egton Bridge, that climb just goes on and on for ever, then down repeat and again and again, that's no way to prepare for Rosedale. I know Rosedale so knew what to expect and it didn't disappoint, it's just so steep, most the riders around me pushed, although time wise I don't think it made any difference. I could feel the lactic build up in my legs as I got to the top but soon span it off on the lovely decent to Hutton where again a mountain of food was provided.
    From here back it was chain gang riding and apart from Nunnington a quick finish to the ride. At the finish we were fed again in that magnificent dining room and the ride played out with other riders. That's always a good part of a ride, when it's all over and you reminisce.
    If I can mention one rider, Colin Ireland, he did his first flat 50 miler in February and completed Rumble 1, I think that is a hell of an achievement and to be applauded.
    Many many thanks to all the helpers and to fellow riders for giving me a day I'll remember for a long time

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Great day out - thanks to all involved. Steady silver was fine although I did walk the steep part of Rosedale Chimney. However, wot, no Caper Hill next year - Bransdale is scenic but has limited steep gradients and is thus not really challenging in the way that Caper Hill is. Why not stick to the new - harder route - or up the difficulty and have both!!!
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • bobh
    We have one interesting suggestion from "North of the Border" that says we leave Caper Hill in but cut out the Roman Road and head down to Rosedale over Rosedale Moor. Reduces the overall distance but keeps the hills ( - thanks Rich ). I'd be interested in thoughts on that one!
  • bobh wrote:
    We have one interesting suggestion from "North of the Border" that says we leave Caper Hill in but cut out the Roman Road and head down to Rosedale over Rosedale Moor. Reduces the overall distance but keeps the hills ( - thanks Rich ). I'd be interested in thoughts on that one!

The guys a legend! sure he'll find some more to chuck in, why don't we find a way of going up that 33% climb up to the top of teh moor as well, the twisty one that i think took us down of Richyboys climb, as it should now be known! :twisted:
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • Bobh,

Thanks to all the team for a really enjoyable day, great route, new part of the world for me, very good organisation, but most of all, the general 'air' of the team at the start / finish and all the feed stations, much appreciated, good chat and genuine cheerfulness. Keep it tough, I enjoyed the route because it had hard bits and some good recovery road in between.

I was that numpty who left his bottles at the first feed, (too much chat!!), my thanks to those that gave me drinks from their bottles on the way past until I picked up bottled water at the top of Blakey Bank. The opportunity to regard me as a plonker and leave me to stew was there, but no-one took it, genuine care and support from fellow riders, I'm humbled. I have learnt my lesson. From the support I got I was still able to get a silver, without it - well, probably still out there yet?

I fully intend to be back, your event has risen to the top of my "must do again next year" list, thank you.
    The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it.
    Oscar Wilde
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well for me I reckon going up Bransdale's a must....it's absolutely beautiful and desolate and the guys who did the RR this year really missed out on one of the loveliest stretches of the NY Moors...but on the other hand the lads this year had a cracking run up Glaisdale....and its smashing up there aswell....that's until you hit Caper Hill...and up until this year this was totally unknown to me...but after my experience I'll never forget it!...for me I still rate this climb the toughest I've did in all Yorkshire...and a climb like that surely stands side by side with the other 3 legends?....

There's a good compromise....you can leave Bransdale in...and then do the nomal loop like this year except after Caper hill you do not head down to Egton and along the Roman Road...instead you head over Hamer Bridge to Rosedale...and what a sphincter twitching panoramic shot you get of the infamous Chimney bank from there...spectacular!

You then descend into Rosedale and up the Chimney and back as normal...

This works out spot on at the 100mile mark....and includes the lovely Bransdale loop and also Boltby,Blakey,Caper,Chimney.

Its a real challenge fo sure....but at least the mileage is 100miles which makes it much more bearable....and the self elation of finishing is on par with that of the FWC...you know youve did something really special in one of the most wonderful cycling areas in the UK.

We all have different views but I'd defo opt for the above.
  • bigal.
    I'd second that suggestion. Most of the guys & girls who are entered into these 100 mile routes with lot's of hills are generally up for more climbing if possible.

Just out of curiousity did anyone else record the number of metres climbed on Rumble 1.
    The Ryedale Rumble website is stating 4200 metres and I recorded 2900 metres on my Suunto. Quite a big difference and I would love to hear from other Garmin/polar users to see what they have recorded.

Adding in Richyboy's suggestion would take the route over the 3000 metre mark on my Suunto which would be great.

Bob- How did you record the 4200 metres figure for the website.??
  • alesupper
    alesupper Posts: 286
    Here's my 2p's worth on the route. I did the RR this year and I thought it was fantastic. Well done Bob and team on such an enjoyable day. Out of the 4 major climbs I thought Caper Hill was the toughest and it seems to me that it would be a real shame if this was removed from the route. I haven't ridden the Bransdale section but from what I hear this is also a must so I think that the suggestion of including both these climbs but reducing the overall milage down to 100 ish miles sounds sensible to me.

Either way, I will be doing the RR again in the future. Thanks again Bob and Co.
  • bobh
    Bigal

The contours come courtesy of a Memory Map trace. I suppose this relies on levels being an even bone between contour lines as they cross the route. Knowing the NYM roads that instantly suggests "margin for error" It could also be that you need to deduct the starting datum to arrive at the aggregate climbing. Maybe I should stick to organising and leaving the map stats to some kind techy who sees the Rumble as a project he or she would like to be involved with
  • bigal.
    Bob- Just been looking at the metres climbed over various sportives in the Uk that I have ridden over the last 4 years and I reckon if you do alter the route as Richyboy suggests you would hold the title for the the Ryedale Rumble having the most metres climbed over all the other Uk sportives.

Fingers crossed for next year then.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    bigal. wrote:
    Bob- Just been looking at the metres climbed over various sportives in the Uk that I have ridden over the last 4 years and I reckon if you do alter the route as Richyboy suggests you would hold the title for the the Ryedale Rumble having the most metres climbed over all the other Uk sportives.

Fingers crossed for next year then.

I make it out around 3000 meters climbing....(my memory map said 3400 meters)...I do not think there would be much difference with adding in Bransdale and Caper and removing the Roman Road?........

As at the top of Caper Hill you basically head very flattish along to Rosedale for the plunge down....this cuts out the big steep sapping climb from Key Green upto the Roman Road...and the Roman Road/Cropton part aint easy?....so it should even out?.

And ive mapped out the FWC and Im sure It came in at 4400meters (probably more like 3700 meters realistically)....but the DLMC mapped out at 5000 meters...and I know for sure that holds the record for ascent in the UK...took me more than 11 hours!

Personally I think 100miles is perfect for a sportive...its a very long way but strangely doable?...and at the 50mile mark your saying 'we're half way there'...its all in the head...
  • bigal.
    Forgot about the DLMC. Too far away for me.

Interesting that you reckon FWC comes in at approx 3700mtrs. We have recorded 3129 mtrs for the FWC, 3112 mtrs for the WRC, 3011 mtrs for the Etape Du Dales, 3159 for the Spud and a meagre 1980 mtrs for the Baelach.

I'm off to hang up my anorak now.

Any ideas where the pictures from the Rumble will be posted??
  • lactic
    lactic Posts: 7
    Pictures are here, well nearly, as of now it looks like a few have yet to be uploaded but the vast majority are on there.

http://www.cyclingimages.co.uk/group3091.html
  • great pictures, thanks.

next year though - fake tan !
  • John C.
    For the last two years the bit from Egton Bridge to Rosedale has been my low point it's just climb after climb, I'll happily miss that bit out.

• Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I would vote to keep Caper hill and then go to the Chminey. I thought the Roman Road was nice but it was a long lonely road though and quite a split between big hills.

I have just looked at the time splits and it seemed I lost the best part of 20mins going along the wrong road to Middleton compared to every body else. Thats the 2nd time this year thats this has happened on sportives and it looks like I need to pay more attention.
    Brian B.