Ryedale Rumble - Caper Hill included (gulp)

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Just found out that because of a landslide up Bransdale that part of the route had to be cancelled...have just found out the alternative...brace yourself...a new section up Glaisdale has been put in its place...and at the top of here lurks a beast of unimaginable hardship...Caper Hill...IMO toughest brute in all Yorkshire...

Just mapped the route out.....about 3100 meters ascent and 110miles long...very reasonable stats for a sportive you say?...No, even the mighty FWC struggles to match this event for brutal climbs...pound for pound the RR now has the toughest collection of brutes of any sportive....

BOLTBY BANK, BLAKEY BANK, CAPER HILL.......and now at 90 miles you will hit the steepest climb in all the UK...ROSEDALE CHIMNEY!

These 4 brutes will test the very best to there max...you only have until the end of July to sign up...so if you loved the FWC or the DLMC....then come along and have a pop at this...I can guarantee a stupendous event with magnificent scenery and quiet unspoilt roads...but most importantly you will really put yourself to the test!

Have a read at a wee Reccy I did a year or so for the RR:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 314&page=1

And have a wee read at what Caper Hill did to me in April this year:-

http://www.sportivecentral.com/index.ph ... 335&page=1

3 Routes to choose from....none easy...but the big ones the Daddy!

Comments

• John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    **** if you're going to push me up those monsters, how about the 80 milers doing Rosedale ? I still recon Blakey is the hardest, maybe not steepest but harder than Boltby or Rosedale, Caper Hill is a new one on me, let's hope it's flat. :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • bobh
    bobh Posts: 163
    John

You should know us better than that by now, the only flat hill is on a map. You can of course entirely blame Rich for this as I'm sure you will. He badgered us about this climb he'd found...thought his surname was Bernard not Livingstone! It is tucked away from the normal beaten track and on some road maps the road isn't shown. Motorist aren't encouraged to go there as the turn at Gaisdale says "Glaisdale Dale only" presumably to try and avoid people thinking it's a through road.

The question is "Will you find Richyboy's comments to be on the money, or did Flamingoland the day before his recce spoil his form?" What is for sure is that what we've lost in Bransdale scenery we've maybe gained over Glaisdale. What we haven't gained are cars as the whole of the route has only 4 of its 113 miles on A Roads.

We are re-doing the maps at the moment and hopefully we should be able to upload onto the website http://www.ryedalerumble.co.uk the revisions for all three routes early next week.
  • GAWOOD
    GAWOOD Posts: 36
    Hi guys. I was actually going to post on a separate thread for this query, but I've entered the 80 odd mile version of the Rumble. I've never done much riding in the Moors, mainly the Dales. I'm off next week and was going to do a recce ride of some of the Rumble route, trying to take 2 of the major climbs to see what I've let myself in for.

Was planning to drive over and start/finish in Helmsley. Does this route that I've mapped take in much of the proposed route?

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 5597638424

Any views would be welcome.
  • Anonymous
    GAWOOD wrote:
    Hi guys. I was actually going to post on a separate thread for this query, but I've entered the 80 odd mile version of the Rumble. I've never done much riding in the Moors, mainly the Dales. I'm off next week and was going to do a recce ride of some of the Rumble route, trying to take 2 of the major climbs to see what I've let myself in for.

Was planning to drive over and start/finish in Helmsley. Does this route that I've mapped take in much of the proposed route?

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 5597638424

Any views would be welcome.

Yes...you wont be going up Bransdale now....but doing that route you will be doing 1) Blakey bank & the Chimney....prepare yourself....I reckon the NY Moor climbs are a good deal tougher and steeper than the Dales climbs...

P.s I think Caper Hill will break the will of many....especially after Boltby & Blakey...what a challenge....and to think the Roman Road and the Incredible Chimney are to follow...
  • I did the WRClassic (80 miles) last year and the WRChallenge (115 miles) this year and the Rydale Rumble (80 miles) last year and reckon the Ryedale is definitely harder. There are no climbs on the WRC that really compare with Boltby Bank and Rosedale Chimney.

I vowed not to do the Rydale again after last year. I enjoy a challenge but I want hills to be part of the route and not the sole focus of the ride. But its each to their own.
  • Anonymous
    I did the WRClassic (80 miles) last year and the WRChallenge (115 miles) this year and the Rydale Rumble (80 miles) last year and reckon the Ryedale is definitely harder. There are no climbs on the WRC that really compare with Boltby Bank and Rosedale Chimney.

I vowed not to do the Rydale again after last year. I enjoy a challenge but I want hills to be part of the route and not the sole focus of the ride. But its each to their own.

I can understand your sentiments...but I dont think the hills are the sole focus of this lovely route...sure...they are the main obstacles....but seeing incredible landmarks like the ancient abbeys & the stunning White Horse of Kildale,and riding over the 'roof' of the moors at Ralphes Crosses, are also big parts of the ride...the route has not been devised for 'just to be tough for toughs sake'....as the ride could be made a ton more difficult with even more horrors like around Fryupdale and up near Grosmont....its a great blend of scenery,landmarks and wicked hills....but in essence..your right....the level of difficulty these hills are at...only the FWC or the DLMC enter a similar bracket...but for me...its a sheer test of fitness and mental strength...
  • GAWOOD
    GAWOOD Posts: 36
    Thanks all. Sounds like I need to amend my route but not sure I will take on the feared Caper Hill this time!
  • bobh
    If you're heading out to the North York Moors please note that Bransdale is closed to traffic just before Cockayne. Cyclists have been able to get through for now but the road works are due to start soon and when they do nothing will get through. It's a long way up the Dale to have to come back again as there's no shortcut.

Just to pick up on the points raised about the focus of the ride. From the horses mouth it's about showcasing one of the most stunning areas in the British Isles. We didn't sit down and pick out hills and fit roads between them. It just so happens that the best views tend to be found from vantage points. Forums can become pre-occupied with "which event is toughest" and we really don't want to be part of all that.

Yes the Rumble is a tough challenge but it's much more than just that, it gives riders the opportunity to get away from city traffic and to experience a day that you'll remember. The range of each of the three routes has been set to give a challenge at whatever your respective capability levels are. As with any sportive however we recommend that riders are realistic with their own fitness assessment and goals. If you're not a mile eater then Rumble 2 at 73 miles will still give you Boltby and Blakey Banks, some great scenery and get you home in time for tea!
  • John C.
    Not mentioned before.
    It's worth entering just to use the dining room at the start, the wow factor starts before you do. Ampleforth collage is a magnificent colection of old and new buildings..

• bigcod
    bigcod Posts: 26
    I live in Whitby and have ridden (Caper Hill) what we call Glaisdale head a few times. Its mean and its inclusion into this years rumble could make it harder than last years- depending on which bits it cuts out - is the new route available yet ?

I would say if its windy from SouthWest you'll probably get blown off your bike as you'll only be doing between 3-5mph , and pray its not wet.

You can see the profile /location on here http://www.cyclogz.com/activity/2927

After finishing the rumble last year, I said it was physically the hardest thing I've ever done. I feel I might be saying the same thing this year now too.
  • can anyone post the revised maps please? can't find them anywhwere, need to know if i'm man enough for rumble 2!
  • rossere
    rossere Posts: 38
    The revised maps are now on the British Cycling (Yorkshire) website

For route 2

Here is a link to the topology:
    http://ryedalerumble.co.uk/index.php?page=Rumble%20Two#

Here is the link to the map:
    http://bcyorkshire.co.uk/admin/pictures ... _2_map.jpg

The other routes can be found by visiting the first link and clicking on 'routes' and selecting the desired route.
  • thanks, i took the plunge anyway and have entered.
  • Anonymous
    thanks, i took the plunge anyway and have entered.

Gary, You wont regret it....its a fabulous event and area...and you will encounter Boltby Bank and Blakey Bank....those are true testers....but at least at the top of Blakey Bank you will turn off right and head for safety....whereas I'll be heading left for the most testing of time..at least the lovely scenery will accompany me!
  • cheers, yes i'm not sure i know those hills by name, i'm sure over the years i must have seen them. Obviously gutted not to be heading up rosedale chimney!

i was out on the route of the big g cyclosportive last week as it's my usual roads and felt guilty that i'd gone racing the night before rather than entering so this is my pennance!
  • stueyc
    stueyc Posts: 518
    RICHYBOY great link to your ride..

little worried about this now..doing route 2 on a standard 53/39 10spd

don't think i have enough gears or legs to get up these climbs !
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    stueyc wrote:

Boltby & Blakey Bank (Churchhouses) are both 25% climbs of considerable length and absolutely nowhere to hide, especially Boltby which is like the beanstalk in the fairytale; neverending and seems to go straight up.

Good Luck on a 39.
  • bobh
    For Boltby Bank if you've a 26 or lower at the back you should be OK with a 39 front.
  • Anonymous
    stueyc wrote:

Dont worry Stu...wots the worst that can happen?..you get off and push a 100 yards or so...then come back more determined next time...OR...you suffer like a dog and manage the beasts and come away from the event with a massive sense of acheivement...both positive in my book...(P.s I'll die a 100 deaths on it)....Ive never seen the NY Moors in full purple heather bloom so Im really looking forward to seeing this.
  • stueyc
    fair point RICHY...if you see me struggling give me a push
  • RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    stueyc wrote:

Dont worry Stu...wots the worst that can happen?..you get off and push a 100 yards or so...then come back more determined next time...OR...you suffer like a dog and manage the beasts and come away from the event with a massive sense of acheivement...both positive in my book...(P.s I'll die a 100 deaths on it)....Ive never seen the NY Moors in full purple heather bloom so Im really looking forward to seeing this.
    What time you starting this ride Richy?, I'm down to do it and if you don't mind some company be nice to catch up and go round with you.
    i'll ride anything, but I prefer carbon.......... she screamed!!

www.sportivecentral.com
  • John C.
    Yes Rich the heather will be out. So beware. The area will be full of hives and bees have flight paths which we are bound to ride through. Remember glasses on , mouth shut, and learn how to take your helmet off pronto in case you get one stuck in one of the vents. Hope you're better prepared than I am, I'm relying on you to slow me down at the start. I'm still going off way to quickly and paying the price later.

• bobh
    JUST A REMINDER THAT ENTRIES CLOSE THIS EVENING
  • stueyc
    weather forecast doesn't seem too bad for sunday..fingers crossed!hs
  • stueyc
    im doing route 2..anyone any rough idea how far the feed stations are?..1 in helmsley then hutton
  • John C.
    stueyc wrote:
    im doing route 2..anyone any rough idea how far the feed stations are?..1 in helmsley then hutton
    Helmsley is about 25-30 miles out and Hutton le Hole is about 10-15 miles from the finish as far as I can remember.
    DO NOT forget sun cream, Blackey will be hard in the mid day sun
    Give me a wave if you see me , I'll be in my usual top (see pic) dying at Nunnington

• stueyc
    hope for fine weather..everyone enjoy,say hello as you pass me..im on a blue dhcycle frame..see ya
  • a very 'enjoyable' event, very well organised, thanks to all who gave up their weekend to organise and man the feed stations.

would certainly recommend and certainly do again.

felt woefully over geared on the first nasty climb, 34 x 25 and 15 stone versus gravity and 1 in 4 were never going to get on! the second caper hill was preferable but still had to pause for breath a couple of times.

course really good, quiet roads mainly and feed stations very well stocked and suprise water feed at the top of caper hill most welcome!
  • Anonymous
    a very 'enjoyable' event, very well organised, thanks to all who gave up their weekend to organise and man the feed stations.

would certainly recommend and certainly do again.

felt woefully over geared on the first nasty climb, 34 x 25 and 15 stone versus gravity and 1 in 4 were never going to get on! the second caper hill was preferable but still had to pause for breath a couple of times.

course really good, quiet roads mainly and feed stations very well stocked and suprise water feed at the top of caper hill most welcome!

Totally gutted I couldnt do it today...suffering Sciatica...but brilliant event and area...

Gary....the second climb is Blakey Bank...Caper Hills the next trauma...all brutal experiences....

but like I said to a few freinds who rode today...I'll have a nice cuppa and a few hobknobs whilst you lot are near pulling the hoods of the handlebars :wink:
  • JJDLD
    JJDLD Posts: 75
    Just to echo the comments above thanking the organisers and volunteers involved yesterday.

Everything from the signs to the car park at the start through to distibuting the food and t-shirts at the end seemed to go like clockwork. Everybody working on the event seemed to have a smile on their face and were happy to help.

Well done to all invovled, you should be very proud of yourselves for putting in such a good event.

JJ.