Ullrich doping case being opened

2»

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    http://www.globaltvbc.com/sports/depths+of+doping+revealed+in+1997+tour+winner+jan+ullrichs+case/6442576953/story.html
    Ullrich had been "fully engaged" in the doping program of Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes that was exposed in Operation Puerto, the panel wrote.

"In particular, the UCI alleges that Ullrich engaged in blood doping (a prohibited method) and used several prohibited substances, including growth hormones, IGF-1, testosterone patches (PCH), EPO and a masking substance referred to as 'magic powder' that is said to destroy EPO in urine samples," it said. IGF-1 is a hormone similar to insulin.

Read it on Global News: Global BC | Depths of doping revealed in 1997 Tour winner Jan Ullrich's case
    Thursday's verdict showed how the 2005 Tour, Armstrong's final victory, had been affected by the Puerto doping ring organized by Fuentes from Madrid.

Second-place Ivan Basso of Italy later served a two-year ban based on Puerto links, and Ullrich's sanction will likely move another Puerto suspect, Spanish rider Francisco Mancebo, up to third place.

Armstrong had stood on the podium on the Champs Elysees in Paris that day, flanked by Basso and Ullrich, and praised the integrity of cycling's greatest race.

Aiming his words at "the cynics and the skeptics," Armstrong said he was "sorry you don't believe in miracles. You should believe in these athletes and you should believe in these people."

Read it on Global News: Global BC | Depths of doping revealed in 1997 Tour winner Jan Ullrich's case

(nice little very famous quote there from a master of standup comedy)
    German Olympic leader Thomas Bach said he hoped the Ullrich and Contador verdicts would deter other athletes from doping.

"It is regrettable that Jan Ullrich didn't take the chance sooner to create clarity himself," Bach, an IOC vice-president, said in a statement.

Ullrich's sentence could have been heavier.

CAS rejected the International Cycling Union's request to impose a life ban and disqualify all of Ullrich's results since May 2002.

• It only shows up the inconsistency (and stupidity) of the rulings handed out by CAS ... In the same week they hand out bans of 2 years and annul the r,iders results ... Just not so consistent on the application ... Jan's ban is what AC should have got, if they were handing out a ban ... Lose the wins, take the ban from date of decision due to contesting the ban and forcing delays ...
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    Contador was never banned by the Spanish though. They let him off. It was the UCI and WADA that appealed the Spanish decision, not Contador appealing against a ban.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Contador was never banned by the Spanish though. They let him off. It was the UCI and WADA that appealed the Spanish decision, not Contador appealing against a ban.
    Eh?
    The Spanish fed originally gave him a one year ban, which is ironically the same time he will now serve, in total, thanks to them and CAS.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Contador was never banned by the Spanish though. They let him off. It was the UCI and WADA that appealed the Spanish decision, not Contador appealing against a ban.
    Eh?
    The Spanish fed originally gave him a one year ban, which is ironically the same time he will now serve, in total, thanks to them and CAS.

No they didn't. They indicated that they were going to give him one year, but then the Prime Minister weighed in and they back tracked and cleared him in the official verdict.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I think I have counted 11 riders banned from the top 20; maybe more??
    Jan on the TT bike! I do get excited in a strange hetro way. Perfect time trialer. Loads better to watch than choppy Armstrong on a TT bike.

I think Jan has had many hard years away from cycling and this case would be pushing his mental limits. Do we want another VDB/Pantani on our books? We've had Riis admit his "naughties" and he still manages a top Team so WTF is it all about. Also, Alberto Volpi manages a Team and I travelled 250 miles to watch that tosspot get banned from the Leeds Classic race when he won it. They ought to get Volpi's results changed so that the 2nd place rider gets the win....Jesper Skibby....oh, he wrote a book on how he doped...bugger.... ;)

Jan got caught and so did 10 others so let it go. This is pointless cr@p that could drive a man to a mental breakdown and then maybe worse.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Well said Jerry! Annul the results if you must (I doubt it matter all that much to him, he's all but admitted it anyway), but what is the point of banning from today someone who now pretty much keeps himself to himself and just turns up to the odd sportive and makes a few riders' day.

I'd far rather he had been felt guilty and that that had been publicised but that he got no/minimal sanction and was encouraged to share what he knows (privately or not) with WADA etc...That might encourage a few other riders with guilty feeling into doing the right thing
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    ddraver wrote:
    I'd far rather he had been felt guilty and that that had been publicised but that he got no/minimal sanction and was encouraged to share what he knows (privately or not) with WADA etc...That might encourage a few other riders with guilty feeling into doing the right thing

I agree. With results taken away.

Chasing down dopers and taking their wins off them is whats mainly needed IMO if they are retired from professional cycling.

I think within people who follow cycling (but maybe not fellow riders who have anything to fear) all that's needed from a retired rider is to admit they lied (if theyd claimed during their career they were clean) and apologise and people will likely forgive them and respect them, particularly in these cases where suspicion was always so high.

Of course id imagine its stressful for them, but in the end, they can even do the sport some good by commenting more on what was going on in their era, to WADA and the public. Im sure most people would feel sorry for them, Id shake hands with anyone who did that, I know they'd have a huge amount of respect from me for doing so, I am 100% sure of that. Its difficult to forgive someone if they don't stick their hands up, but its never too late to do so and gain respect back for doing it.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:

Great statement from Jan, not admitting his own guilt directly (I'd imagine for legal reasons and not to drag everything back up again with more cycling related doping stories), but reading between the lines telling you all you need to know about whether he was taking anything when he got caught. Very sad to see how it's affected him but live by the sword; die by the sword.

Ride safe, Der Kaiser!
  • mfin
    I was utterly disappointed. I would have preferred a 'I didnt agree with all the points at all, it was far too drawn out BUT I did take X, Y and Z, and my association with Fuentes was to orchestrate a large part of this blood doping. I also am very sorry for any lies or inference I may have made during my career that I wasnt doping, when I was'.

Note, I said I would have 'preferred', not 'expected', Im not naive in that respect... it is a shame none of the points above after my 'BUT' were said directly at all. I suppose he's got time to do so though, shame he doesn't do it now though, that was his clear opportunity to.

Its what these people 'don't say' that's the problem most of the time, that affects their image, not what they do say.
  • LangerDan wrote:

Great statement from Jan, not admitting his own guilt directly (I'd imagine for legal reasons and not to drag everything back up again with more cycling related doping stories), but reading between the lines telling you all you need to know about whether he was taking anything when he got caught...

He has said much the same before, as when he said "Whoever still can't put one and one together about what happened in cycling is beyond my help."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/editions/fir ... rch-9-2009
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Remember when Cuddly Jan used to keep up with the dirty Armstrong with a HCT of 42%. That was awesome.

Oh wait, he was probably blood doping / lying back then.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Remember when Cuddly Jan used to keep up with the dirty Armstrong with a HCT of 42%. That was awesome.

Oh wait, he was probably blood doping / lying back then.

Someone doping lies?

No way.

Are you disappointed he's not getting the same sh!t Basso did?