Ullrich doping case being opened

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2012 in Pro race
In Switzerland.

So he's likely to cop a proper ban for what it's worth.

IMO, Jan is possibly one of the worst of those who've got nabbed.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    iainf72 wrote:
    So he's likely to cop a proper ban for what it's worth.

IMO, Jan is possibly one of the worst of those who've got nabbed.
    A ban from what? Cake shops? What's the point of this still rumbling on years after he retired. Did he ever pay the fine that was awarded against him?

In what way is he "worst"? Most flagrant doper?
  • iainf72
    I think they're talking about a life time ban from any involvement in the sport.

Yeah, just becase he'd been tooled up for years, had people believing he was the clean alternative to LA and then when he got nabbed he just flipped the world the bird and disappeared.
  • Bronzie
    OK, I can see your point, but I do have some sympathy with Der Jan being brought up in East Germany and everything that went with it - I'm guessing he was on a state-sponsored doping program since he was a kid.

I'd much rather see Rudy Pevenage banned from any further involvement in the sport.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I never saw him as the clean alternative, far from it. But I did sometimes view him as a victim of the system, a clumsy idiot born with a massive talent that ended up being exploited by the likes of Becker, Pevenage and Goodefroot for their financial gain. Not that he's blameless of course, he never copped a ban like Virenque or confessed like Riis, instead he's made millions and made a mockery of the sport. But then so did many other riders from his era.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    I love the idea of poor, idiot Jan.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    There's a good piece in the new Procycling about Jan at Andorra, which makes for compelling reading.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I would like to know what their times are for Arcalis as Jan Ullrich must have been totally tooled up for that as it is the highest sustained power output ever at the TDF...beats anything LA did and makes Hinault and Lemond look like schoolboys..

I think a lifeban would be good....but we have Cycling Weekly calling Eric Zabel Cavendish's "Sprint Consultant"...makes me sick...EPO consultant , no? We have LA still racing, we have various unpunished riders...it gets pointless...you'd have nobody left if you really ban everyone who used EPO...
  • Bronzie
    There's a good piece in the new Procycling about Jan at Andorra, which makes for compelling reading.
    Yeah it's a good read.

They have some VAM calculations from Antoine Vayer (former Festina coach) who calls Der Jan's perfomance at Andorra-Arcalis ('97 Tdf St.10) the height of the EPO generation with 60% hematocrits and everything that went with it - the equivalent of Ben Johnson at Seoul:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yGEa39oH80

It was the last time (pre Festina scandal) that you could watch with wide-eyed innocence and go "Wow" without the next thought being "what's he on?". Mind you the likes of the Gewiss 1-2-3 (at Fleche Wallone in 1994 was it?) had probably already set a lot of alarm bells ringing.

He reckons on 497W for Jan's climb that day (=> 6.9W/kg which is pretty much off the scale). He also goes on to say there were 6 or 7 riders at this year's Giro "whose figures didin't square with me".
  • CAS rules tomorrow

Another life the authorities and press drove dangerously close

Getty
    9fb3795e041851c45f4b6cd28e509d22-getty-508684575.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    I think they're talking about a life time ban from any involvement in the sport.

Yeah, just becase he'd been tooled up for years, had people believing he was the clean alternative to LA and then when he got nabbed he just flipped the world the bird and disappeared.

Really?

I never had him down as anything different. He's just a likeable character and the biggest rival to LA.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I certainly never felt that a product of the east German sporting system was "the clean alternative" even in the good old days when I was naive and had no knowledge of haematology.
  • rick_chasey
    CAS rules Jan Ullrich guilty of blood doping in Puerto affair. 2 year ban + results since 2005 void, including 3rd place in Tour de France.
  • rick_chasey
    CAS says "Jan Ullrich was fully engaged with Dr Fuentes doping program", spent €80,000 on "services"

http://www.tas-cas.org/d2wfiles/documen ... .02.09.pdf

(Both posts lifted from INNRNG twitter)
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182

Is that where he 'levelled the Pyrenees'?

He was caught up in the time imo. Not an excuse now but that was the system he grew up in and was required to be competitive in. Still one great rider when you watch the footage
    M.Rushton
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    He's rumoured to be confessing all later, we'll see.

I'd have more respect for him if he did, but it's all a bit late really.
  • mrushton
    I watched that YouTube clip and his attack is astounding but watch Armstrong in 2000 on Ventoux, he utterly destroys Ullrich and you think 'hmmmmm'
    M.Rushton
  • iainf72
    Oh no. Poor lovely cuddly trust-worth skank fest Jan.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:
    Oh no. Poor lovely cuddly trust-worth skank fest Jan.
    Hah, you're really not a fan?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,460
    Who replaces Dopey Jan on the podium?

1. ARMSTRONG Lance 86h15'02"
    2. BASSO Ivan 04'40"
    3. ULLRICH Jan 06'21"
    4. MANCEBO PEREZ Francisco 09'59"
    5. VINOKOUROV Alexandre 11'01"
    6. LEIPHEIMER Levi 11'21"
    7. RASMUSSEN Michael 11'33"
    8. EVANS Cadel 11'55"
    9. LANDIS Floyd 12'44"
    10. PEREIRO SIO Oscar 16'04"
    11. MOREAU Christophe 16'26"
    12. POPOVYCH Yaroslav 19'02"
    13. MAZZOLENI Eddy 21'06"
    14. HINCAPIE George 23'40"
    15. ZUBELDIA AGIRRE Haimar 23'43"
    16. JAKSCHE Jörg 24'07"
    17. JULICH Bobby 24'08"
    18. SEVILLA RIBERA Oscar 24'45"
    19. KASHECHKIN Andrey 28'04"
    20. GUERINI Giuseppe 33'02"
    21. SASTRE CANDIL Carlos 34'24"

Should we just give the win to Evans and be done with it?
  • mrushton
    I forgot Evans was riding back then and at a high level (no pun intended). But when you look at that list????
    M.Rushton
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Watching that youtube clip, Part of me thinks that the UCI should have a policy of dope checking everyone who climbs with their hands in the drops...

It is interesting to compare that to last years Tour, attacks never looked like that...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyp wrote:
    Who replaces Dopey Jan on the podium?

1. ARMSTRONG Lance 86h15'02"
    2. BASSO Ivan 04'40"
    3. ULLRICH Jan 06'21"
    4. MANCEBO PEREZ Francisco 09'59"
    5. VINOKOUROV Alexandre 11'01"
    6. LEIPHEIMER Levi 11'21"
    7. RASMUSSEN Michael 11'33"
    8. EVANS Cadel 11'55"
    9. LANDIS Floyd 12'44"
    10. PEREIRO SIO Oscar 16'04"
    11. MOREAU Christophe 16'26"
    12. POPOVYCH Yaroslav 19'02"
    13. MAZZOLENI Eddy 21'06"
    14. HINCAPIE George 23'40"
    15. ZUBELDIA AGIRRE Haimar 23'43"
    16. JAKSCHE Jörg 24'07"
    17. JULICH Bobby 24'08"
    18. SEVILLA RIBERA Oscar 24'45"
    19. KASHECHKIN Andrey 28'04"
    20. GUERINI Giuseppe 33'02"
    21. SASTRE CANDIL Carlos 34'24"

Should we just give the win to Evans and be done with it?

Haha, what a Who's who of dopers.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Well done the UCI for pursuing this case with such vigour, based mostly upon a paper trail.
    Presumably, in the spirit of fair play and similar evidence, Pat will now pitch in with USADA and go all out to get a retrospective ban for Armstrong.
    No?...............Oh well. :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    Well done the UCI for pursuing this case with such vigour, based mostly upon a paper trail.
    Presumably, in the spirit of fair play and similar evidence, Pat will now pitch in with USADA and go all out to get a retrospective ban for Armstrong.

A bit more than a paper trail I'd suggest.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    "The rider's DNA was also matched to blood bags seized in Spain."

...a certain other rider in the news this week didnt let his DNA be checked of course. Hmmm.
  • Love it when Jan is in the news as the news agencies bring out some photo from their banks. Some heavyweight ones being thrown out.

Some old school from 2001
    Getty
    f9841916186e7bbdfbf79a53966e1edd-getty-72497779.jpg

And 05
    3d6b496c336d175fad31e7c497f0d2f8-getty-508707196.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    http://www.myspace.com/kaiserjan/blog/138463492

Race radio tweeted this.

Old, but veery funny.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    Well done the UCI for pursuing this case with such vigour, based mostly upon a paper trail.

A bit more than a paper trail I'd suggest.

Which one? :P :wink:
    Not to worry, different rider, different ethos:
    "We won't comment on USADA and what they might do. We don't want to keep looking behind us, there's nothing there, and the investigation proved that."
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Have there been any statements made by Jan today, or anything upcoming about this??