And Boonen is....

2»

Comments

• drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    it's called a script.

I doubt anyone pays moderators to read post before they go public.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    fair enough. point still stands though.
  • jos2thehua
    jos2thehua Posts: 76
    I'm glad he's back in on a fan bases but sort of embarrassed because it looks bad on the sport...
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    The problem is that someone who would use Cocaine, mixed with all sorts of chemicals damaging to health (washing powder and who knows what to cut the powder in Europe), (solvents to produce the stuff in the first place in Southern America). Well if you are a professional athlete and willing to use that, well then that leads to suspicion that you may not be adverse to using drugs to improve your performance in your chosen profession. Totally unproven, but must lead to a cloud over you.

Then we get on to the moral aspects of this, you are one of the most well known sportsman in your country and you choose to to use drugs sourced from South America, via a supply chain of gangsters, violence etc.... you get caught.... you then choose to do this again...and get caught.....

your boss whines that you have been unfairly treated...

then next week you maybe win a stage in the Tour de France....

i won't be cheering
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    IMO more of a joke than doping is the shocking 'leadership' by the various bodies. Totally ridiculous.

Very glad Boonen is in purely because I think he is a stylish rider and the more top sprinters the better. I would be lying too if I said I wasn't looking forward to seeing him often in the Belgian champs kit.

1246618456982-yi8jgg63i49z-798-75.jpg

Pure style this guys has:

Who are you - Yoda?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    Chip

are you gay?

btw no problem with that... but you seem to be going off topic...
  • reppohkcor
    reppohkcor Posts: 111
    I'm straight but even i would have a hard time saying no to him
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    juggler wrote:
    Cocaine... if you are a professional athlete and willing to use that, well then that leads to suspicion that you may not be adverse to using drugs to improve your performance in your chosen profession. Totally unproven, but must lead to a cloud over you.
    Then we get on to the moral aspects of this, you are one of the most well known sportsman in your country and you choose to to use drugs ...
    Totally disagree.

What you do in your private life doesn't mean that you'd ever be prepared to do the same or similar in your profession. Occasionally the same argument works the other way around! If most people thought about their life and behaviour, they'd come to the same conclusion.

Moral aspects - morals about drugs (and a few other things) are only based on any current government's leanings, not on offences against intrinsic human nature. Being a well-known sportsman doesn't mean you have to tow the line about such matters, any more than you or I have to. We all then just take the risk of being caught.

In his circumstances, Boonen should be in a civil court, not excluded from sport, and if the Tour organisers eventually recognise this, it'll show they've matured too.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    knedlicky wrote:
    juggler wrote:
    Cocaine... if you are a professional athlete and willing to use that, well then that leads to suspicion that you may not be adverse to using drugs to improve your performance in your chosen profession. Totally unproven, but must lead to a cloud over you.
    Then we get on to the moral aspects of this, you are one of the most well known sportsman in your country and you choose to to use drugs ...
    Totally disagree.

What you do in your private life doesn't mean that you'd ever be prepared to do the same or similar in your profession. Occasionally the same argument works the other way around! If most people thought about their life and behaviour, they'd come to the same conclusion.

Moral aspects - morals about drugs (and a few other things) are only based on any current government's leanings, not on offences against intrinsic human nature. Being a well-known sportsman doesn't mean you have to tow the line about such matters, any more than you or I have to. We all then just take the risk of being caught.

In his circumstances, Boonen should be in a civil court, not excluded from sport, and if the Tour organisers eventually recognise this, it'll show they've matured too.

Absolutely agree with you. I knew a guy who went to an Olympics (not cycling) who did a little coke now and then, but hated dopers (although his sport is probably very clean) and cheats of all sorts.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Good - more the merryer (spelling?).

If Bos can keep his hands to himself, maybe we'll see him next year? - we'll see.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Has anybody heard what Tom wants to do? I mean really what he wants, not with Pat L. at his shoulder at press conferences.

Cos it his thrid time now and it seems to me as if he's got a bit of a habit going on there. Presonally I would of like the UCI to have stepped in and taken his race licence away from him on health grounds. And seen him riding the tour next year.

He is a great rider but I'd hate to log on here in a couple of years time and read R.I.P Tom with a link to some compilation video on utube.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    DavMartinR wrote:
    Has anybody heard what Tom wants to do?.

I'd say he wants to win Paris-Roubaix or Flanders each year and maybe 8-10 other races in the year and for the rest of the time live the life of a superstar and national hero.

I can't blame him for it - I'd be exactly the same in his position.

The question is: If he was 100% devoted to cycling, would he have achieved more. I'm not sure he would have.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    RichN95 wrote:
    DavMartinR wrote:

I'd say he wants to win Paris-Roubaix or Flanders each year and maybe 8-10 other races in the year and for the rest of the time live the life of a superstar and national hero.

The question is: If he was 100% devoted to cycling, would he have achieved more. I'm not sure he would have.

Thats what you'd say and Pat L. would say. And I hope thats what Tom would say, but cyclist do sometimes have issues which seems to make them reckless. I just don't want to see another Pantanni. Hope I totally wrong on this though.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    how many people on here would expect to get sacked for testing 3 times for cocaine? he shouldnt have an employer. i am self employed but would be forced to sack myself

a good wholesome clean rider allan davis has been deprived a ride at boonens expense. oh hang on... :?
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    DavMartinR wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    DavMartinR wrote:

Thats what you'd say and Pat L. would say. And I hope thats what Tom would say, but cyclist do sometimes have issues which seems to make them reckless. I just don't want to see another Pantanni. Hope I totally wrong on this though.
    Boonen is nothing like Pantani,boonen would like nothing more than to live in Belgium and walk down the street like anybody else but he cannot so he moves to Monaco to get a bit of piece and quiet.He misses the home life and as a result when he does go out for a few beers he goes mad as he has said already and this includes cocaine use. Who,s to say that given those circumstances we wouldn,t do the same. You really have to understand that in Belgium Boonen is a national hero he is the equivalent of Chris Hoy,Victoria Pendleton,David Beckham,Jensen Button and several more all rollled into one.The pressure on his shoulders must be unbelievable. Ok, it,s not a good example for the younger generation and it does damage the sports reputation but with all the drug problems over the last few years Boonens cocaine use in private should be the last thing that the U.C.I. should be worried about. Concentrate on those who cheat during races and catch them, they are the ones we really need to get rid of.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    i am self employed but would be forced to sack myself

That would be the start of your problems. You'd feel awful and go on a tear as the guilt would burn in you. Then the you that you sacked would run into you at a low ebb, he outa his 'ead on chocaine, give you a big whack of the stuff and you'd both wake up in the same bed in the morning. Then you would start feeling guilty all over again on account of falling in shove with yourself but rejecting your.................................
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    It really pees me off that Boonen can go out on the lash, powder his nose, win Paris Roubaix, ride the tour etc.

If I have a second Duvel I'm not even fit for the club run. Lucky sod.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    Did anyone see him wipe his nose on his sleeve as he crossed the finish line yesterday? :wink:
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    [Edid fubbgingg fuhjgin edit not fujhgggimn quote
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    ademort wrote:
    Boonen is nothing like Pantani,boonen would like nothing more than to live in Belgium and walk down the street like anybody else but he cannot so he moves to Monaco to get a bit of piece and quiet.He misses the home life and as a result when he does go out for a few beers he goes mad as he has said already and this includes cocaine use. Who,s to say that given those circumstances we wouldn,t do the same. You really have to understand that in Belgium Boonen is a national hero he is the equivalent of Chris Hoy,Victoria Pendleton,David Beckham,Jensen Button and several more all rollled into one.The pressure on his shoulders must be unbelievable. Ok, it,s not a good example for the younger generation and it does damage the sports reputation but with all the drug problems over the last few years Boonens cocaine use in private should be the last thing that the U.C.I. should be worried about. Concentrate on those who cheat during races and catch them, they are the ones we really need to get rid of.
    Ademort

Pantani got done for being over 50% when he had raced to the top of a mountain and slept there. (what's that about Kenyan Athletes at Altitude)
    Pantani racing in Italy and bombing down hill, then has a horrendous accident with some stupid motorist driving a car on closed roads.
    Enough for anyone to take to the booze and some other form of relief.

Sean Yates also lived in Monaco like most "High Earners". for Tax reasons.
    I remember an article with Tony Rominger about training out of Monte Carlo up the mountains behind the town. (oh and he is Swiss but he even found it advantageous to live there)
    It works out cheaper to rent expensive property than pay large sums in tax.

With all that's been said, Tom needs to completely "Relax" with his Genuine Mates and you must know what a crowd of lads are like on a night out.
    I think he is just a human male and by doing that, he will not need Anti- Depresant drugs like Pantani did.

I still love them both. ! ! !
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972