And Boonen is....

Sun Dodger
Sun Dodger Posts: 393
edited July 2009 in Pro race
In!

From Sporza:

"Quick-Step heeft bij het Arbitragehof van het Frans Olympisch Comité zijn slag thuis gehaald: Boonen mag toch starten."

Comments

• LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    Bet Allan Davis is P*ssed
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    LorneC wrote:
    Bet Allan Davis is P*ssed

Not half as p*ssed as Monsieur Prudhomme id imagine.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Or as P!ssed as Tom Boonen on an off season night out, allegedly.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Stunned, I didn't see that coming at all.

Poor Allan Davies- at the presentation and everything.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I bet Tommeke's G/F will be fuming too. She sent him out of the Monaco appartment 20 minutes ago to go to shops for milk and he won't be back for 3 weeks.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Sun Dodger
    I assume Tom had some first-class entertainment lined up in case his appeal failed.

Maybe Alby can take up that instead :twisted:
  • Tusher
    Sorry if this has been done to death before, but I still don't get it.

M. Prudhomme announces he's organizing a bicycle race around France in July.
    He invites cyclists to submit entries.
    He looks at these entries and pronounces.......oui, non, oui.
    Tommeke mistakes coke for a sherbet dip or whatever.
    M. Prudhomme tells him he's a naughty boy and cannot race.
    Tommeke goes crying to Quick Step and they appeal to a court of law.

He's in.

Not taking sides on the should he/should he not be included, I just can't get my head around WHY he's allowed to ride if Prudhomme says no.
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    The rules of the event are published.
    Quick Step is invited and accepted.
    M. Prudhomme goes crying that he doesn't like coke.
    Boonen is excluded.
    It is against the rules declared by organizers.
    Boonen is back.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Good, so we can have a good laugh when we watch him give up when Cav absolutely wrecks him in sprints.
  • Tusher
    Thanks Kozzo.

Genuinely pleased for Boonen, and genuinely gutted for Davis.
  • ace news
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    kozzo wrote:
    The rules of the event are published.
    Quick Step is invited and accepted.
    M. Prudhomme goes crying that he doesn't like coke.
    Boonen is excluded.
    It is against the rules declared by organizers.
    Boonen is back.

Technically, doesn't he actually invite teams, rather than individuals - and has no choice or justification not to invite QS (I might be a bit hazy on this).

Still - a fair point. It's puzzling.

I'm glad that Tom's riding though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Sun Dodger
    And good news from the Cav point - I think Quick Step will be a bit more motivated to work to set up sprints for Tom than they would have been for Allan.
  • The decision to ban him in the first place was the puzzling thing.
    Bike race which has been won every year since inception by someone taking performance-enhancing drugs, bans man who has no chance of winning, but who did use some coke at a party.
    Hmm.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    IMO more of a joke than doping is the shocking 'leadership' by the various bodies. Totally ridiculous.

Very glad Boonen is in purely because I think he is a stylish rider and the more top sprinters the better. I would be lying too if I said I wasn't looking forward to seeing him often in the Belgian champs kit.

1246618456982-yi8jgg63i49z-798-75.jpg

Pure style this guys has:

610x.jpg

Going to get some amazing shots for my collection after the Tour.

610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    Just Prudhomme and Co. have no balls to follow defined strategy. They are swinging between media double morality of tabloids and formal rules and common sense.
    And Prudhomme and Co. talk to quick, to much without reflection.
    They do not respect the rules establish by themselves and it is poor recommendation to judge others...

Overuse of wine or... coc...???
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    the tour is a circus
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • campagchris
    campagchris Posts: 773
    I'm sorry but I think Boonen should have been banned for 2 years.Its his 3rd time being caught.Rugby players are banned so why not cyclist's.What kind of message does this send out.Its ok to take cocaine but wrong to have an oil change????
    I don't go with this bollocks that its ok to do it out of competition too.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I'm sorry but I think Boonen should have been banned for 2 years.Its his 3rd time being caught.Rugby players are banned so why not cyclist's.What kind of message does this send out.Its ok to take cocaine but wrong to have an oil change????

He wasn't banned because he didn't break any rules.

Why is that such a challenge to understand?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    How many times does it need explaining? Cocaine is banned in competition, the positive test came from an out of competition test, ergo no ban. It is a criminal matter, not a sporting one.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    iainf72 wrote:

He wasn't banned because he didn't break any rules.

Why is that such a challenge to understand?
    Abso^&*$£lutely !!
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Out one year, do the same and in the next...? Dicks!

I do love him as a rider mind you, but they really have made themselves look like idiots on this one..
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Good news IMO, outside of competition coke isn't banned by the UCI ergo, no ban! Simples! Whether you agree with this or not doesn't matter, he didn't break the rules, so he should get a ride.

Of course, last year the response to the positive test was different, the inconsistency isn't good, but never mind. At the end of the day its a god result for the fans because the sprints will be more interesting.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't last year he actually took coke whereas this year his drink was spiked, therefore it was a trace amount.

Also part of the issue is that last year it came out about 2 weeks before the Tour, which will have had an impact this year.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    While it,s come as a shock to many, the Belgians are absolutely delighted that Tornado Tom can start. Tornado Tom is a national hero in Belgium and his participation is sure to boost massively the interest in the Tour from the Belgian public.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • stefrees
    stefrees Posts: 137
    its a joke. if he goes on to win a stage, or the green jersey, it AGAIN puts cycling in a bad position.
  • Sun Dodger
    stefrees wrote:
    its a joke. if he goes on to win a stage, or the green jersey, it AGAIN puts cycling in a bad position.

Hell of a party after tho.....
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    looking at the title of the thread i thought the answer was going to be

....twat.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    moderators changed my post - originally said tw4t
    looks like its ok to throw dopig accusations left right and centre but someone gets caught with their head in the dustbowl for a third time and i cant call him a tw4t