One for Lance fans

zippypablo
zippypablo Posts: 398
edited July 2009 in Pro race
tonight, Thursday and Friday, ESPN classic (sky 442) are showing some stages of previous tours. it's 2001 tonight at 1705
If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    zippypablo wrote:
    tonight, Thursday and Friday, ESPN classic (sky 442) are showing some stages of previous tours. it's 2001 tonight at 1705

I'd say there are none on here, you're off message if you show any respect for his performances on this forum...only 7 TDF wins :) anyone can do that eh :lol:
  • zippypablo
    zippypablo Posts: 398
    I wouldn't describe myself as his biggest fan but can't be bothered with the vitriol he seems to attract.
    Anyway Jan's in the coverage too. Maybe I should've tiltled it "one for TDF fans) :wink:
    If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights. (Victor Hugo).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Has anyone seen this;

http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/nike/en_US/

And people wonder why Armstrong divides opinion?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    andyp wrote:

So I take it you're in the pro-cancer camp then.

:roll:

The video's are so cringy
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

which is exactly why the yanks like it! remember The Rocketeer, Independence Day etc etc etc. bile inducing cringe
  • butcher_boy
    butcher_boy Posts: 117
    Guy makes a video that is to raise Cancer awareness & gets slated!!!

FFS some people need to get a grip
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Guy makes video to sell me some Nike Hyperdunk (wtf?) trainers.
    Throws in some cancer patients for added guilt-trip.

Anyone who doesn't wear Hyperdunks loves cancer.

Get a grip, indeed.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    "the critics can say what they want"

what can he possibly mean by that so that it is consistent with his behaviour?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    andyp wrote:
    Has anyone seen this;

Ok maybe slight cheesy but so what hardly controversial though was it. You anti LA brigade see things that clearly are not there at times.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    andyp wrote:
    Has anyone seen this;

what should he have done?
  • moray_gub
    edited July 2009
    afx237vi wrote:
    Guy makes video to sell me some Nike Hyperdunk (wtf?) trainers.
    Throws in some cancer patients for added guilt-trip.

Anyone who doesn't wear Hyperdunks loves cancer.

Get a grip, indeed.

I didnt see him trying to sell anything there than say maybe the Nike brand and i cant see where he says or even implies that if you dont wear hyeprdunks you love cancer. Do you always see things that are not there ?
  • moray_gub
    Dave_1 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Has anyone seen this;

what should he have done?

I think certain posters in here would have prefered it if he had died...........quite sad that when you think of it.
  • Pork Sword
    Pork Sword Posts: 213
    LA brings out strong emotions that's for sure. I personally think it'll be one in the eye for all the haters out there if he does win his 8th TDF!!!!

Jealousy is an emotion we can all live without.
    let all your saddles be comfy and all your rides less bumpy....
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    LA raising awareness of cancer?

Was anyone on here or pretty much anywhere else, not aware of it already.

Most of my family above the age of 60 have it or have died of it, and my mother-in-law had breast cancer when she was in her 20's. Same story for a lot of people. So what does LA bring to the table that's new?

So he is riding his bike for "them". I should think all the cancer afflicted around the world can breath a sigh of relief...good old LA.
  • moray_gub
    FOAD wrote:

Most of my family above the age of 60 have it or have died of it, and my mother-in-law had breast cancer when she was in her 20's. Same story for a lot of people. So what does LA bring to the table that's new?

So he is riding his bike for "them". I should think all the cancer afflicted around the world can breath a sigh of relief...good old LA.

Surely though if only one person can take comfort or hope from his story or ads or him in general then thats a good thing irrespective of your feellings about LA ...........or would you prefer that people afflicted with cancer werent allowed any hope ?............i wonder at times i really do.
  • moray_gub
    camerone wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    andyp wrote:

which is exactly why the yanks like it! remember The Rocketeer, Independence Day etc etc etc. bile inducing cringe

and there hasnt been any of that made over here then ?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Lionel Bernie says it far better than I can;

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... mment.html

As to answer MG's question on hope, of course people with cancer are 'allowed' hope. But as far as I'm aware LA isn't the sole beacon of that. I'd argue he was a very flawed beacon.
  • FOAD
    edited July 2009
    Moray Gub wrote:
    FOAD wrote:

Surely though if only one person can take comfort or hope from his story or ads or him in general then thats a good thing irrespective of your feellings about LA ...........or would you prefer that people afflicted with cancer werent allowed any hope ?............i wonder at times i really do.

So he is bringing hope to cancer sufferers, as opposed to raising gazillions of dollars for his own coffers.....aaarrrr, I am startin to undestand now, thanks.
  • moray_gub
    FOAD wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    FOAD wrote:

So he is bringing hope to cancer sufferers, as opposed to raising gazillions of pounds for his own coffers.....aaarrrr, I am startin to undestand now, thanks.

Ok got it now irrespective of his own finacial rewards you would prefer cancer suffereres to have no hope. As i said if onely one or two take hope than thats a good thing surely ?
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    Lionel Bernie says it far better than I can;

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... mment.html

As to answer MG's question on hope, of course people with cancer are 'allowed' hope. But as far as I'm aware LA isn't the sole beacon of that. I'd argue he was a very flawed beacon.

Birnie strikes me as another jealous second rate hack.
  • FOAD
    But he is actually making money off the back of cancer is he not, for instance his Livestrong charity site and commercial site being indistinguishable from each other in terms of which one is essentially for charity and which one is for his pockets.

So whilst giving hope (lol) he is making money!
  • moray_gub
    FOAD wrote:
    But he is actually making money off the back of cancer is he not, for instance his Livestrong charity site and commercial site being indistinguishable from each other in terms of which one is essentially for charity and which one is for his pockets.

His making money from it is nothing new though his career post cancer was based on his recovery. Where i take issue is people like you would rather he didnt do any charity work and that any cancer sufferers he may have helped are denied that help all becuase you clearly dont like the man. If he was French or British or German he wouldnt have to face the amount of critisicm he does.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    The Birmie piece is excellent - I see no jealous hackery, just a well measured argument.

We recently lost a very close family friend who would have been absolutely appaled at that self aggrandising piece of sh*t selling Armstrong and Nike and exploiting cancer victims to boot. He left a significant amount to Macmillan because he'd enjoyed unflagging support from nurses who weren't doing their job to get back at the world because they're too thin skinned to take criticism, who don't get paid millions and millions on the back of dubiously achieved success and who realise that cancer isn't all about 'survivorship' and 'living strong', that sometimes it's about waking up terrified about what will happen to your kids and not wanting to make the effort to go through yet more chemo and feeling scared and lonely and in pain.

So please tell me what hope is it giving cancer patients to appear in an advert that's the equivalent of a score settling playground spat? Where's the dignity in being exploited for the greater good of Nike and it's sweatshops? And why would I want to be jealous of a thin skinned playground bully with the intellect of a classless thug whose only use for cancer patients is to make himself look good?
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:
    The Birmie piece is excellent - I see no jealous hackery, just a well measured argument.

We recently lost a very close family friend who would have been absolutely appaled at that self aggrandising piece of sh*t selling Armstrong and Nike and exploiting cancer victims to boot. He left a significant amount to Macmillan because he'd enjoyed unflagging support from nurses who weren't doing their job to get back at the world because they're too thin skinned to take criticism, who don't get paid millions and millions on the back of dubiously achieved success and who realise that cancer isn't all about 'survivorship' and 'living strong', that sometimes it's about waking up terrified about what will happen to your kids and not wanting to make the effort to go through yet more chemo and feeling scared and lonely and in pain.

So please tell me what hope is it giving cancer patients to appear in an advert that's the equivalent of a score settling playground spat? Where's the dignity in being exploited for the greater good of Nike and it's sweatshops? And why would I want to be jealous of a thin skinned playground bully with the intellect of a classless thug whose only use for cancer patients is to make himself look good?

The Birnie piece was his usual second rate nonsense it didnt imply at all that if you didnt like LA you were pro cancer this is just another example of people seeing things that are not there. I am not getting into an arguement with you over a specific cancer sufferer as we all have or know those that have suffered indeed i dont think you should be using the sufferer either , my point is why should a sufferer not take hope from him just becuase you know a sufferer that would be appallled by it.............pure selfishness on you part who are you to want to decide who takes hope and who doesnt ?
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    FOAD wrote:

I find that a surprising viewpoint from someone who has seen the devastation that cancer causes to patients and their families. I am not naiive enough to think that LA was the cleanest athlete but I do think that he has used his comeback to raise awareness, not of cancer itself of course, but of the severe lack of funding given to research and treatment. It has been well documented that he has been granted access to many senior politicians and decision makers over the years and has tried to influence governmental spending on cancer.

Political pressure can and does work. Even in the UK, where the spend per capita on cancer drugs in amongst the lowest in Europe, recent pressure has persuaded the government to raise the threshold at which they approve drugs through NICE for those drugs which extend survival by a few months at the end of someone's terminal illness.

This wouldn't have happened without pressure from patients and patient groups so someone like Armstrong can use his influence to good effect as well.

Having said all that, I still think that he's a singleminded ruthless git who exerted his infleunce in a negative way on the UCI and lesser riders.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    Moray Gub wrote:
    FOAD wrote:

His making money from it is nothing new though his career post cancer was based on his recovery. Where i take issue is people like you would rather he didnt do any charity work and that any cancer sufferers he may have helped are denied that help all becuase you clearly dont like the man. If he was French or British or German he wouldnt have to face the amount of critisicm he does.

give it up mate ... i think the haters have this one

the video is pretty poor taste.. it is a very low cheap shot
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • moray_gub
    Moray Gub wrote:
    FOAD wrote:

give it up mate ... i think the haters have this one

the video is pretty poor taste.. it is a very low cheap shot

I dont deny its a cheesy video but i ceratinly dont see it as the 2nd rate hack does.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    So what you're saying MG is that only the views of cancer sufferers who support Nike-Armstrong should be countenanced? It's OK for Nike-Armstrong to exploit cancer sufferers in this kind of piece but not OK to present the work of a brilliant charity that does an enormous amount for cancer sufferers in the UK? IT's grotesque to me that charities like Macmillan and Cancer Research potenentially lose out because giving to Livestrong is so much more 'glamorous'.
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:
    So what you're saying MG is that only the views of cancer sufferers who support Nike-Armstrong should be countenanced?

Where did i say that ? if anything its you who is trying to besmirch the name of a cancer charity not me. They all serve a purpose i dont let petty small minded hatred get in the way of that and you shouldnt either.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    Moray Gub wrote:

I dont deny its a cheesy video but i ceratinly dont see it as the 2nd rate hack does.

sometimes those second rate hacks are still on the right side of a point in this haters vs fanboy pissing contest

you ought to fettle them by agreeing once in a while... mess with their heads ... jedi mind tricks
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm