All the cool kids wear lycra

RealMan
RealMan Posts: 2,166
edited July 2009 in MTB general
Been hearing a LOT of lycra bashing, and I've only been using this forum for like a day.

What has everyone got against it?

It doesnt snag or branches and such.
It can be aero or baggy.
It dries quickly.
It doesnt smell when it gets sweaty.
Its very good at maintaining your body temperature.
It comes in lots of different styles and colours, and from your LBS.
Most of it is cycling specific, so has features that are perfect for cycling (eg: sunglasses wipe, rear pockets).
Its easy to clean.
Its comfortable.
Its strong and durable.
Its stretchy, so it fits well.

And it looks good. (I admit, this point is arguable)

Are people just not comfortable with their sexuality? Do you think you will be classed as homosexual for wearing lycra?

I'll be in full lycra on the road bike, but (usually) baggies and a lycra top on the mtb.

T2A4392.jpg

hill_DSC2041.jpg

Would you tell sam he looks like a gay in a condom suit?

Comments

• deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Ive nothing against lycra myself, wish i had the body for it :wink:
    Each to their own I say, i wear baggies with lycra padded shorts underneath, cycle specific top with under armour heatgear underneath that.

I do find men walking around in lycra shorts a bit funny tho, if theyre staying on the bike fair does
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Can I vote yes and no, because for long, epic rides, I wear lycra shorts underneath my baggies? :lol:

Anyway, the way I see it, yeah, lycra is fine for competitive cycling, but do people really need to wear it when casually cycling? I don;t have a problem with people wearing it, I just don't understand why.
    It's like if I decide to have a quick play in a kayak, I don't immediately reach for the wetsuit, buoyancy aid, and helmet.

If I wear my baggies to go for a ride, I can comfortably stop at a cafe or a bar for refreshments, without having everyone stare at me. I have enough social issues as is dammit! :lol:
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    lycra rules...

It just works for exercise, doesn't bunch and moves well with you.
  • RealMan
    deffler wrote:
    I do find men walking around in lycra shorts a bit funny tho, if theyre staying on the bike fair does

Well I would agree with that too. But thats because no one would ever do that, except when they stop for a cafe stop or something. Can hardly expect people to bring along a change of shorts so they can have a piece of cake.

Anyway, the way I see it, yeah, lycra is fine for competitive cycling, but do people really need to wear it when casually cycling? I don;t have a problem with people wearing it, I just don't understand why.
    It's like if I decide to have a quick play in a kayak, I don't immediately reach for the wetsuit, buoyancy aid, and helmet.

I think http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 11&start=0 is very similar to what youre talking about.
  • stickygreen
    stickygreen Posts: 339
    the reason for the lycra bashing is that someone on here was laughed at for wearing a fullface helmet and pads by people wearing lycra,who cares, wear what you want to wear and sod what anyone thinks of you.If your worried about what people think of you your far too sensitive.(this is not aimed at anyone in particular i wouldnt want people thinking bad of me!)
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • RealMan
    the reason for the lycra bashing is that someone on here was laughed at for wearing a fullface helmet and pads by people wearing lycra

Yeah, but those people also ride bikes, and drive cars, and probably drink water.. So why arent people bashing car drivers, cyclists and people who drink water as well?
  • stickygreen
    Who knows? Why can't everyone just get on with everyone else?
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    Mrs Finlayson thinks that guys in lycra are a bit odd so that's a good enough reason for me to go baggy, besides unless you have the body for it it is much kinder to the human race not to parade around with lycra-covered rolls of fat on show.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • RealMan
    Ok, good point - but how many proper cyclists actually have "rolls of fat"?
  • Anonymous
    I think http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 11&start=0 is very similar to what youre talking about.

You mis-understood me. I don;t have a problem with lycra-clad cyclists, I just don't "get" it.
    One of my co-workers is a keen roadie (and very very very fit for his age) and much friendly pi** taking goes on between the both of us :D
  • Anonymous
    RealMan wrote:
    All the ones that come out in the summer, or when Le Tour is on telly :lol:
  • stickygreen
    RealMan
    Define proper cyclist.
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    what is your definition for proper cyclist? proper cyclists for me would be people do cycling as a hobby and not have to take it seriously also.

i think, it kinda like girls with bikini or guys with skinny jeans. it will look odd if you don't have the body for it and people will make comments or give you looks.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • finlayson99
    finlayson99 Posts: 213
    It doesn't need to be a big "roll" to be rather unnerving :(
    Baggys hide a multitude of sins, but each to his own I say
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • stickygreen
    This shouldnt even be an issue for anyone. lycraists wear lycra baggyists wear baggies job done.Why the f*@k is anyone elses business what i wear.
    GENESIS CORE 20
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I have lycra sets and baggies. I just dont have the physique for lycra so have gone for baggies.
  • It makes you look like julian clarey at an all night hardcore ecstacy rave in berlin
  • mikey0303
    mikey0303 Posts: 134
    its not a good look but each to their own
    Cube Attempt 2011
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    RealMan wrote:

erm :oops:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It makes you look like julian clarey at an all night hardcore ecstacy rave in berlin

What hate? Lyrca is comfy and practical, much nicer in the summer and winter.

Ever tried the whole body lycra look?
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I wear lycra tights under my shorts in the winter to keep my legs toasty, but otherwise I don't really like the look . Not got a problem with anyone else wearing it though!
  • It makes you look like julian clarey at an all night hardcore ecstacy rave in berlin

What hate? Lyrca is comfy and practical, much nicer in the summer and winter.

Ever tried the whole body lycra look?

You got me all wrong I absolutely love the the berlin love parade look :wink:
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    As a girlie I wear lycra for the reasons mentioned earlier (doesn't bunch up etc etc) and i've never had any complaints :wink: Fair play if the chaps also wear it, but lycra shorts can sometimes look a bit eye-watering.... :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Anonymous
    miss notax wrote:
    As a girlie I wear lycra for the reasons mentioned earlier (doesn't bunch up etc etc) and i've never had any complaints :wink: Fair play if the chaps also wear it, but lycra shorts can sometimes look a bit eye-watering.... :shock:

Well, women in lycra, that's an altogether different matter! :D
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Anyway, the way I see it, yeah, lycra is fine for competitive cycling, but do people really need to wear it when casually cycling? :

Depends what you mean by casual cycling. I don't wear it to the shops or just getting about, but when I'm out on the bike for fun I usually do at least 30-40 miles and it's more comfortable in lycra than it would be without it, so why not?

And I don't get this baggies vs lycra thing. On the road it's lycra, on the MTB it's lycra with baggies on top. Pretty simple.
  • All these criticisms of lycra are just caused by people's petty jealousy because they haven't got a Size Zero Supermodel figure, like what I have,

If you've got it, flaunt it.
    How about this for an example of being well hung.

2829354896_cb27fc1b9a.jpg

Even with my weight leaning on it, the gate hasn't moved an inch. That's certainly a well hung gate.
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    miss notax wrote:

Well, women in lycra, that's an altogether different matter! :D

Agree :wink:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • miss notax wrote:

Theres a saying that goes "shy bairns get nowt", so here it goes.....

Any pics ? :wink:
  • Tel39
    Tel39 Posts: 243
    Lycra is, well for want of a better phrase, err... gay as a bunch of Daffs.... simplez :lol:
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • RealMan
    How about this for an example of being well hung.

How about this?...

http://www.uploadgeek.com/share-6782_4A4BDE3D.html

Tel39 wrote:
    Lycra is, well for want of a better phrase, err... gay as a bunch of Daffs...

Now I've seen a lot more straight people in lycra then I have gays, so I dont get where this attitude comes from. Do you just think people will make fun of you for being overweight or something? Or do you actually believe that lycra somehow makes men seem attractive to other men?