Riders for Team Sky

Comments

• schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Pokerface wrote:
    Believe it or not - Sky's sponsorship of a Pro team is not solely based on getting more Sky customers. (And the Tour is shown on channels like Eurosport also).

Really??, I didn't realise that Murdoch was known for his altruism. Like any corporation, sponsorship is about getting your name into the public domain with a view to selling more of your product, in this case Sky TV and they've ibviously decided that this is one way to acheive that.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    You can bet swift is a cert for the future as with the other academy boys. I don't get why people have an issue with sky. For all the costs their coverage of sports is fantastic compared to eurosport. I for one would love sky to take the cycling and give more than an hour of coverage running late from its start time all the time and no duffers.

But then I already pay for the full package so there is no issue for me in terms of it costing more.

And the guys who say it's not going to be easy to transfer success do they really think Brailsford is that stupid that he doesn't know what kind of job he has on his hands?
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    There is an article on Velonews where they ask Jonathan Vaughters about Millar and Wiggins. He says that Wiggins has another year on his contract, so is going nowhere. As for Millar he says it is very unlikely, but that you would have to ask him.

I would imagine that Sky will want some cycling on their channels, but not too much - just enough to give people a reason to subscribe to the sports channels. No doubt the News International owned newspapers will be under orders to include articles when the team gets results and particularly photos (especially where the team logos are well displayed).

I can't wait to see who signs up for the team and how they progress. It will also be interesting to see how they would react should a rider test positive.
  • method
    method Posts: 784
    leguape wrote:
    ARob wrote:
    good news re a GB based team .. but doesn't this mean even the limited free to view coverage on itv4 will soon be lost to sky..

Simply not true, TDF race broadcast rights are sold through the EBU agreement which says that they have to be available on Free-to-air channels. So unless Sky are going to turn Sky 3 over to cycling or Sky Sports News, it ain't going to happen. They do want race rights from what I've heard but that's quite a big hurdle to clear before they can get them.

How does Eurosport get round that? It might not be a premium channel but you can't get it on freeview.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    I wonder how many people complain about the price of laminate flooring in Belgium or mobile phones in France...
  • marinerrr
    marinerrr Posts: 81
    method wrote:
    leguape wrote:
    ARob wrote:
    good news re a GB based team .. but doesn't this mean even the limited free to view coverage on itv4 will soon be lost to sky..

Simply not true, TDF race broadcast rights are sold through the EBU agreement which says that they have to be available on Free-to-air channels. So unless Sky are going to turn Sky 3 over to cycling or Sky Sports News, it ain't going to happen. They do want race rights from what I've heard but that's quite a big hurdle to clear before they can get them.

How does Eurosport get round that? It might not be a premium channel but you can't get it on freeview.

I believe it's because it's also covered on ITV4 so Eurosport can get the rights, but they can't have a monopoly on it. Sky may be able to get rights, but only if it is also free-to-air on ITV4 as well.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It seems the Millar / Wiggins bit might be wishful thinking.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar- ... taying-put
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    marinerrr wrote:
    method wrote:
    leguape wrote:
    ARob wrote:

I believe it's because it's also covered on ITV4 so Eurosport can get the rights, but they can't have a monopoly on it. Sky may be able to get rights, but only if it is also free-to-air on ITV4 as well.

Isn't it because Eurosport is a free to air channel in so far as you don't pay a subscription for it, it's one of the free channels you get if you subscribe to the basic packages on either Sky or cable. The tour has only been shown own ITV4 for the last couple of years before that it was on channel 4. Also Eurosport is a pan european broadcaster so their ability to get the rights for the tour isn't based on the arrangement in just one country.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    marinerrr wrote:
    method wrote:
    leguape wrote:
    ARob wrote:

Isn't it because Eurosport is a free to air channel in so far as you don't pay a subscription for it, it's one of the free channels you get if you subscribe to the basic packages on either Sky or cable. The tour has only been shown own ITV4 for the last couple of years before that it was on channel 4. Also Eurosport is a pan european broadcaster so their ability to get the rights for the tour isn't based on the arrangement in just one country.

I suspect it gets away with it by being FTA on Analogue Satellite still. I've never understood the labyrinthine politics of pan-european broadcasting but I think it does buy a licence for Europe with restrictions in certain territories.
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    You can bet swift is a cert for the future as with the other academy boys. I don't get why people have an issue with sky. For all the costs their coverage of sports is fantastic compared to eurosport. I for one would love sky to take the cycling and give more than an hour of coverage running late from its start time all the time and no duffers.

But then I already pay for the full package so there is no issue for me in terms of it costing more.

And the guys who say it's not going to be easy to transfer success do they really think Brailsford is that stupid that he doesn't know what kind of job he has on his hands?

I would agree with you on Sky's sports coverage, first rate IMHO
  • kickerbri
    kickerbri Posts: 53
    According to Cycling Weekly 8 or 9 of the riders will be British and they state that a number of riders have already signed a 26 page contract to race for team sky next year. They suggest that Thomas, Cummings and Froome are certain whilst Swift, Bellis, Kennaugh and Stannard are also likely. With Millar being a possibility due to being out of contract this summer.

There are also rumours that it is between Boardman and Pinarelllo as to which bikes are used whilst Adidas are likely to be the kit makers.

Has there been any speculation within european papers regarding possible riders?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Two problems with the above.

1. Adidas quit the sport and no longer carry cycling lines

2. Millar is a part owner of Slipstream

Also with the greateset respect for the names mentioned. Who is the team going to get that can actually win races? And is untarnished? Cadel?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    @Timoid - Adidas have bought Mavic and their Adidas cycling kit is now Mavic branded.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    They're gonna need to get some names on board i think. Why Millar? Way past his prime, what is he now? Just another domestique... With this lineup.... at least we'll win the TTT's.. lol

No doubt it will be Boardman bikes, keep it in the family...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    andyp wrote:
    @Timoid - Adidas have bought Mavic and their Adidas cycling kit is now Mavic branded.

Plus AFAIK - Adidas currently makes all the British Cycling team kit. At least they did when I was there.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Adidas defo make the British kit. There's a pic here of Nicole winning the worlds in Varese with th stripes all over the kit:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/se ... icolecooke
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    But Addidas stopped making cycling kit at the end of 2009, the brand has been transferred to Mavic as said above.

Boardman bikes or Pinarello. Tough choice :wink:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Kléber wrote:
    Both made in the same factory in Taiwan. Allegedly. :wink:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Regarding Millar not moving because he part owns the team, different sport like but in the British Touring Cars Matt Neal and his dad started Team Dynamics and last year Matt signed for Vauxhall leaving his dad to continue running the team.

I wouldn;t rule it out completely if BC are paying that much cash.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Kléber wrote:
    But Addidas stopped making cycling kit at the end of 2009, the brand has been transferred to Mavic as said above.

Is that after they jumped into their time machine, went ahead to the future, stopped making kit, and then came back to the MIDDLE of 2009? :P
  • kickerbri
    kickerbri Posts: 53
    Norweigan Press are reporting that Team Sky lead the chase for Edvald Boassen Hagen and that talks are advanced.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate ... %26hl%3Den

I think that will be an absolutely huge first signing for the team and will show a real sign of intent for next season. Boassen Hagen is a supreme talent for the future.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    prawny wrote:
    Regarding Millar not moving because he part owns the team, different sport like but in the British Touring Cars Matt Neal and his dad started Team Dynamics and last year Matt signed for Vauxhall leaving his dad to continue running the team.

Isn't the only reason he part owns the team is that they couldn't afford to pay him what he wanted, 'cos he's got/had a massive tax bill to pay off, so they offered him that as an extra income?
  • I believe the previous poster is correct about Millar. Everyone has to remember that this is not ANC-Halfords or Linda McCartney, this is Brailsford, Sky and BC. If they get it right - a tall order, but the right people to do it perhaps - they might be building one of the top teams here. It is good news for cycling generally and excellent news for young, promising British riders.

If the Boassen Hagen rumour is true that is a real statement of intent. Exciting times.
  • prawny wrote:

Isn't the only reason he part owns the team is that they couldn't afford to pay him what he wanted, 'cos he's got/had a massive tax bill to pay off, so they offered him that as an extra income?

In the paper at the weekend, there was an article with Millar, he has just finished paying off that tax bill. Maybe that gives him more feedom/options?
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Reckon that Clement L'hotellerie is still on the wanted list? He was heavily rumoured to be at the beginning of this year, but he's now managed to get himself sacked by his team for the second year running.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    Kléber wrote:

Adidas are definitely coming back in for next season, so I was told by the UK importer at the cycle show.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    if sky sports manage to get coverage of premier cycling events will they concentrate on only showing the first four riders in each race? :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Tenner says Cunego for sky....
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Funniest moment of the day:

Ned Boulting: What do you say to Alberto Contador for Team Sky?"

Brailsford: No.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I keep thinking Team Sky will be like Katusha.

Big budget, some big names but absolute toilet.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.