Confused about the latest clothing...

2»

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    'Mac in a pack' from Millets. £20, folds down really small, good enough for me.

Alternatively, do without (for summer at least). Went out last night in shorts and t-shirt, got pi5s wet through. It's warm enough at the moment where it's not a big deal though. It was actually quite nice to be honest, good way to cool down on long climbs.

Your skin is waterproof, mtfu! :wink:
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I was on an mtb course with a person who had bought all the latest high priced kit, it was their first time on the bike.

One fall ruined £100 + worth of clothing.

I buy aldi and lidle stuff like shorts and tights but they only last a year. Started buyng wiggle's DHB stuff and it seems good value.

However I am partial to Primal wear jerseys.

But if you can afford it and you want it, then buy what you like.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Max A wrote:
    gloves...ok...what'd they do other than keep my hands warm?

- help to prevent nerve/tendon/joint damage and pain
    - give an extra layer of protection if you fall off. Better to shred your gloves than loose a layer of skin.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Old Pedaller
    Old Pedaller Posts: 104
    Can I hijack this one for a bit of advice on a similar topic? On the rough I prefer to have my flesh fully covered so have been wearing an old pair of road winter leggings, over my padded shorts, but these are now clapped out. 3/4 style is for younger blokes than me so what I want is a light but toughish pair of full length trousers in a sober coloured at least semi windproof material. I don't need it to be waterproof.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • dave_hill
    Combats? US style M65's to be precise, the ones with drawstrings round the bottom hem?

Like these.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Old Pedaller
    The M65s look like the sort of thing but I'm likely to get barracked for going trendy!
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    X landlord here, so for me i use olde promo t's, i have been out today in a pair of cannondale shorts (circa 92), I use a works xmas gift waterproof/windproof and breathable fleece thing for winter. I do own endura underpant things and i really really must get a light long sleeved windstopper for those breezy days in sept/april. trouble is i love billabong/quicksilver gear so what i ride in short wise is just as costly as bike specific.

I would love to have bike only kit but i just dont have room due to all the freebies and they were free so i aint getting rid of them in a hurry. (i still have yorkshire in me)
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    supersonic wrote:
    Golf trousers?

Golf Suit, Golf trousers are you sure that you are on the right forum :wink:

http://www.golfmagic.com/

Bugger off here and tell them all how good Mountain Bikes are :lol:
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • Max A
    Max A Posts: 21
    dave_hill wrote:
    Max A wrote:
    gloves...ok...what'd they do other than keep my hands warm?

- help to prevent nerve/tendon/joint damage and pain
    - give an extra layer of protection if you fall off. Better to shred your gloves than loose a layer of skin.

Thank you, I do know it was probably a bit of a daft question, but i didn't know so thank you for answering.

Now for the bit i do best..shopping :lol:
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I don't think Next and River Island do cycling gear.
  • Max A
    Max A Posts: 21
    Meh, for a female, shopping is shopping...no matter what it's for or where i'm at spending money is the thing we do best :)
  • dave_hill
    The M65s look like the sort of thing but I'm likely to get barracked for going trendy!

I'd hardly say trendy. I wear them day in day out, both for work and leisure. Just a good hard-wearing style of pants.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    dave_hill wrote:

I'd hardly say trendy. I wear them day in day out, both for work and leisure. Just a good hard-wearing style of pants.

I've got an M65... but it's a parka. :lol:
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • Old Pedaller
    dave_hill wrote:

Believe me, by my standards and what my pals expect of me by way of frequency of replacing gear, these are trendy.
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    dave_hill wrote:

Believe me, by my standards and what my pals expect of me by way of frequency of replacing gear, these are trendy.

ignore them. do what you want. that's kind of what being on a bike is all about no?

i don't care what i look like on th ebike really (well, not that much) more how comfy i am. i don't have to look at me anyway, so what do i care?
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I agree bike specific stuff is overpriced in the main.However stuff that is properly cut for cycling in does make a world of difference,when you go out on longer rides,particularly shorts.
    Any breathable t shirt will do though.

Altura and DHB both do good budget stuff,and as suggested before I tend to also buy my winter stuff in the summer and vice versa,or buy last season`s colours to keep costs down.

One of my best buys was a gilet from Decathlon for £17.Such a versatile bit of kit,use it to keep the wind off,on chilly evenings but small enough to fold up and stuff in a pocket.Keeps a ;light shower at bay for a few minutes too.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo