Confused about the latest clothing...

LouiseK
LouiseK Posts: 4
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I'm trying to get myself nicely kitted up as i'm new to MTB'in but i want to buy the latest stuff and i'm getting all confused which is which.

I want to buy a Gore Phantom Ladies Windproof Jacket, but i have seen Phantom I and Phantom II and i'm presuming the Phantom II is the latest - is there any way of knowing for sure?

What are the differences?

I thought maybe the colour would give it away but the more i google the more it doesn't seem to be true.

The Gore website just calls them Phantom.

Also, i heard that Gore will possibly be releasing a new version soon - does anyone know if that is true? When does the new cycle clothing get released? Is it the same time each year?

Thanks

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    No idea. Apart from shorts I haven't got any cycle specific clothing - it all just seems incredibly over priced.

Some very knowledgeable types will be along shortly no doubt,
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    The only difference I can see is about a fiver.

That said, both seem massively overpriced for a windproof jacket - they aren't even fully waterproof. I'd want it to convert into a three-bedroomed tent with en-suite for the thick end of a ton. But I am a notorious tight-wad.

Usually new season stuff is released late summer/early autumn.

Very often though there's little to choose between one years item and the next. There may be small design changes and differences in colour but that's about it.

Aside from the odd self-indulgence, I usually buy my summer gear in winter and vice versa, when it's cheaper. I couldn't care less about having the latest colour or refelctive bit as long as it does its job.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    dave_hill

I agree with you!

Shocking!

;-)
  • dave_hill
    supersonic wrote:
    dave_hill

I agree with you!

Shocking!

;-)

I've just printed that post out and framed it. I'm going to hang it on the wall next to my PC.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I dont have any thing cycle-specific except gloves. All my shorts and tops are from places like tkmaxx because it is cheaper and does the same job. I dont see what all the fuss about names is really.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Jonesy.
    Jonesy. Posts: 94
    I wouldn't bother with cycling-specific brands like Gore for general outdoor clothing such as a windstopper jacket. Check out brands like North Face, Craghoppers, Mountain Equipment and so on at the outdoor supply stores like Field & Trek, Snow & Rock, Ellis Brigham, Blacks, Cotswold Outdoors etc. You'll get the same thing for less money (and possibly a superior product).

The only cycling-specific clothing I use are cycling gloves, padded undershorts and SPD shoes. Oh and a cycling jersey, I'll admit that.
    3638691414_5b54d86f20.jpg
  • I have a couple of pairs of cycle shorts and padded lyrcra which for me is a must, and I have to say that I have slide off a few times and the shorts are really hard wearing (Enduro) other than gloves, I wear t-shirts and in the wet Sunderland tops (from golf shops) they keep me dry and are really light!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    +1 for TK Maxx

Our local one had some "trek-Mates" stuff in not long ago. Wicking t-shirt for the princely sum of £4. Nice and baggy too. They also had a load of trek-mates packable wind/waterproof jackets for about a tenner.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    The Maxx is where it's at 8)
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Gore stuff is great and IMO well worth it. I can't get over spending 250 on a (Rapha) cycling jacket but 80-100 on a Goer one? yeah, I can manage that. In fact I have, I got one of the Gore winter windstoppers and it's been fantastic (gone back in the drawer waiting cooler weather atm of course)

As for what's the latest, I'd go with the concensus on that; I don't know and there'll be little difference anyway. Get one in a colour you like, really no-one's going to notice that the stitching is soo last year.

Also remember that the first thing you're going to do is go out and get it completely covered in mud, spit and possibly even a little bit of blood .... worth bearing in mind when choosing which colour to get.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Jonesy. wrote:
    I wouldn't bother with cycling-specific brands like Gore for general outdoor clothing such as a windstopper jacket. Check out brands like North Face, Craghoppers, Mountain Equipment and so on at the outdoor supply stores like Field & Trek, Snow & Rock, Ellis Brigham, Blacks, Cotswold Outdoors etc. You'll get the same thing for less money (and possibly a superior product).

Not sure I agree, unless of course the majority of the outdoor stuff you do is something other than cycling. I do/did a lot of hillwalking/climbing before getting into MTBing and more serious about road riding, and while there is obviously a lot of crossover there are some cycle-specific things worth having. Depends how much cycling you see yourself doing really.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Seeing as we're talking about this, does anyone make waterproof trousers that don't split at the crotch? Every pair i've had i've knackered here, in fact just about everything i cycle in this happens to (including jeans just from cycling the mile to the lab every day!)

Not too bothered about cost, i just want something tough tbh.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    waterproof trousers; I have a really nice pair from MEC in Canada. They have full length side zips (hip to ankle) which is great for getting them on while dressed plus opening up the hip / thigh to let some steam out (they're goretex, but it really doesn't stand a chance against working legs) whilst maintaining waterproof goodness. Taped seals round it all off. I've had them for about 8 years and commuted / mountainbiked in them, you name it. They're superb, but only for really foul conditions, in less than that, I just get wet :) And a proper cycling bum reincforcement so no seam splitting problems

I tried to get Mrs B a pair when I was in Canada recently but they were out of stock (and I don't think they're goretex anymore but 80 cdn is a lot less than I paid)

Assuming the construction detailing is the same on these MEC Woosh pants as on mine (and looking at it, it appears to be) then I'd recc these to anyone. Problem of course is that MEC is only in Canada, although they will ship
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • wemac
    wemac Posts: 91
    I deal with Gore clothing through work and the differences are negligible between the 2 versions of phantom.

Regards the issue of cost and buying stuff fom TK Maxx etc - I used to think that until I tried some gore stuff over the winter.

While you'll save some money buying from TK Maxx etc it's simply not made to the same quality standards; the fit is comparatively poor and functionally it doesn't perform as well as something like Gore. It also generally doesn't last as well / take as much abuse as better quality gear
    Trek Fuel EX8 09
  • dave_hill
    wemac wrote:
    Regards the issue of cost and buying stuff fom TK Maxx etc - I used to think that until I tried some gore stuff over the winter.

£99 for a windproof is nothing short of daylight robbery, regardless of whether it's well constructed or not. I wouldn't pay that for a suit and I'll bet the poor saps in the sweatshops don't see much of that £99...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    I have a 20 quid golf suit that is windproof and breathable - and the quality is spot on.

Many biking clothing people are taking us for a ride.
  • I just buy whatever's going cheap on CRC, Merlin etc.

If you're near a Decathlon, they're good too. Their top end stuff is as good as anyone else's and a fraction of the price.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I just hunt around for bargains on CRC, Wiggle, Evans or for brands I like the look of Endura, Altura, Scott, Helly Hansen, Adidas
    Everybody has different opinions on what looks good, whats a bargain or whats worth splashing the cash for. I say as long as you feel comfortable in what your wearing then go with it. It be a nightmare if we all walked or cycled around in the same clobber. I like to stand out a bit so like bright colours 8)
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Daz555 wrote:
    Some very knowledgeable types will be along shortly no doubt,

Nope, just the usual bunch... :lol:
    Jonesy. wrote:
    The only cycling-specific clothing I use are cycling gloves, padded undershorts and SPD shoes. Oh and a cycling jersey, I'll admit that.

So only shorts, top, shoes and gloves. And presumably a helmet. Non cycling specifc socks then, I assume...? :P :lol::lol::lol:

Joking aside, over the years I've bought a couple of really good (£70 Polaris pertex, waaaaay back, Nike 3/4 bibs recently) and they've really stood the test - fit well, comfy all day, lasting superbly. Non-specific clothes just don't fit right on the bike - and the last thing you want is cold kidneys and water up your sleeves!

Try a bunch of stuff on & then you know what to pounce on when the sales are on... :wink:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    try and go here: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens-clothing

they do a reasonable amount of cycling specific gear, as well as other non specific stuff, like wicking tops etc that don't NEED to be bike specific. oh, and i go to the real shops rather than the online one cos you can get stuff really cheap, including gore at half price at times.

sure, some stuff is better if it's designed for it's sole purpose. My hi vis waterproof/windcheater was £20, but it's got a long back, decent neck and eveything else that makes it a bit more comfortable. it's not about names, it's about the cut and comfort imho. sometimes the two are inseperable, but not always.
  • grudfuttle
    grudfuttle Posts: 40
    I'm another TKmaxx chap myself; a pair of shorts is a pair of shorts, a T-shirt is a T-shirt... The less money I waste on clothes is more to spend/waste on bike upgradie type stuff. :?

Maybe it's an age thing, but I see the ads in the bike mags for cycle shorts at £49/£59/£69+ and I think how much?! For one pair?!... I can get five pairs of my TKmaxx 12 quid specials for that money!..

grudfuttle
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I generally wear bib shorts with baggies over the top. Obviously, the bib shorts are cycling specific, but the stuff to go over the top isnt.

I do have 1 pair of waterproof 3/4 length shorts for commuting in the depths of the Manx winter.

Bought some shorts from Millets a couple of weeks ago. 2 pairs for £20, wore them at the weekend and a mate rocked up in a £60 pair of Raceface shorts that were almost identical. We really did struggle to tell them apart.

Sure, by wearing non-cycling stuff, you do sometimes get some looks from the fully lycra clad crew, but do you REALLY want to take fashion advice off someone who has their meat on display?

Oh, I also find that old rugby league and american football tops are good for cycling in too. The American football tops are usually baggy enough that you can wear downhilll padding under them too.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    I happen to quite like the cycle specific clothing, there's often little tweaks and design features which make life on the bike that little bit easier. e.g. high waist on the back of shorts to prevent builders bottom!

Obviously like any kind of specific clothing (not just cycling) the big brands we'll try and suck you in with marketing gumpf! but it's about what works...
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • Max A
    Max A Posts: 21
    This is a really handy topic...I'm just getting into mtbing properly now and have been wondering what I actually need to buy clothing wise..i'm of the same opinion as a lot of people who've already posted, some of the bike stuff is way overpriced!

So what is what you call essential bike clothing then?
    What wouldn't you go without?
  • boogercj
    boogercj Posts: 316
    I'd say all you need is a nice grippy pair of trainers (if you've got platform pedals that is) and if you're not into lycra, a loose fitting and well ventalated top (I wear an old Ice-hockey jersey over a t-shirt).

Padded cycling shorts are a must for alleviating any kind of undercarriage pain and I prefer to wear overshorts (mine are knee length, strong black ones I bought from H&M)

Waterproof wise, it's better to go with cycling specific stuff, as it's tailored to fit someone riding a bike.

Oh, get some cycling gloves as well ;)
  • supersonic
    Some other waterproof stuff is fine though - as we are all different shapes and sizes. I use a golf suit!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I totally agree with the above posts, especially boogercj

the only important bits to spend cash on are the contact points - good quality bibshorts, shoes that do the job (grippy for flats or £50 for a perfectly good pair of spdable shoes) and good gloves

the rest is all wasted money, I've yet to find a waterproof I don't sweat-overheat in and who cares about fashion when you get covered in mud...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Max A
    Max A Posts: 21
    boogercj wrote:
    I'd say all you need is a nice grippy pair of trainers (if you've got platform pedals that is) and if you're not into lycra, a loose fitting and well ventalated top (I wear an old Ice-hockey jersey over a t-shirt).

Padded cycling shorts are a must for alleviating any kind of undercarriage pain and I prefer to wear overshorts (mine are knee length, strong black ones I bought from H&M)

Waterproof wise, it's better to go with cycling specific stuff, as it's tailored to fit someone riding a bike.

Oh, get some cycling gloves as well ;)

I use Skater trainers...so they're grippy ( i'm not confident enough to use those pedals with the clippy thing yet) I am so not into Lycra and it's really hard to find well ventilated tops that are also comfy..i may have to look into hockey tops!

Padded shorts I've heard a few times and it looks like I should really go and buy a pair..any not too expensive ones?

waterproofs i've now found out should be cycling specific as I bought one of those jacket in a packet ones and HA it was like being in a sauna!

gloves...ok...what'd they do other than keep my hands warm?
  • supersonic
    Cheapo water proofs have no breathable fabrics. But you can get breathable, waterprrof and windproof from a variety of places. None are perfect though.

There is no way I am paying an extra 50 quid because it has a bike brand on it, and a rear pocket lol.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Yep, I just see 'waterproofs' as a way to keep a bit of warmth and the sting off the rain.