National Road Race Champs Abergavenny

Comments

• mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Reckon its going to be a bit of a jam going up from Govilon unless we go 2 hours early. Got to be cars as the missus will not cycle that!Once there we will be stuck until every one goes then won't find parking in town until most if not all of the circuits are done. Or am I being pessimistic? Any ideas on which route to Monmouth from Raglan. No road numbers on the map above. Thats nice and close to home and we would have time to get up the Blorenge then.How far behind the race is the road opening? No much I guess.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Yeah.
    Follow the black arrows on the little yellow signs.
    It's the old Raglan to Monmouth road, through Micheltroy, into Monmouth. Down to the garage, over the roundabout by the old town bridge.
    Out on the B4233 to Rockfield.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    A load of the Ogmore are riding out to support our clubmate at the top of the Tumble

Go Rob!!!!! :wink::D
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • blazing_saddles
    A load of the Ogmore are riding out to support our clubmate at the top of the Tumble

Number 122. :wink:
    ( he was saying earlier in the week that he may get broomed up before the climb!)
  • blazing_saddles
    Race Report:
    Wow, What a morning.
    Field blown apart on the Tumble. Riders in penny numbers. Elite group off the front was attacked by Wiggo and Millar.
    Cav climbing.....at the front.

By great luck, all the top boys were standing right by me.
    Got a shot of him next to Cav.
    Decent photos of him, Wiggo, Millar etc.

Pushed this little blonde girl in a Cervelo kit out of the way, so my nephew could see. Then it struck me who it was!
    :oops:

So I says: "Emma, if I move this big lump, so you can see, may I have a photo?" congratulated her on her little French win!
    Got a beauty. Saw her later again on the Tumble, climbing it better than all the blokes. :shock:
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    cycling weekly's twitter feed (start at the bottom):

http://twitter.com/cyclingweekly

# Wiggins is back in the Cav group. Hammond is looking good and House looks like the best British based ride. less than 20 seconds ago from txt

#
    Froome's attacked! 2 minutes ago from txt

#
    Kennaugh is in the Cav group and has 2 team mates this is shaping up to be a great finish! 9 minutes ago from txt

#
    Hammond, Lloyd and Stannard are also in that second group. 7 laps to go this time through the start finish. 10 minutes ago from txt

#
    Hammond, Lloyd and Stannard are also in that second group. 6 laps to go this time through the start finish. 13 minutes ago from txt

#
    On the finishing circuit and Wiggins and Froome are still out in front. They've got around 40 seconds on a group of 10 inc Cav. 17 minutes ago from txt

#
    The continental based pro's have really stuck it the rest. Pete Kennaugh was third on the road and its not over for him yet. about 1 hour ago from txt

#
    The field has been smashed to pieces, there are riders everywhere. Incredible stuff. Wiggins looked good, if he doesn't win this we'll b ... about 1 hour ago from txt

#
    Wiggins is leading with Froome. They've split it to pieces! about 1 hour ago from txt

#
    The race is on the tumble, There's a good group away. about 1 hour ago from txt

#
    Absolutely blown away by the amount of spectators out on the Tumble. This is incredible! about 2 hours ago from txt

#
    Too late change our prediction? All the signs are that Wiggins is the man to beat today. about 2 hours ago from txt

#
    Both Hayles and Wiggins are wearing skinsuits. about 3 hours ago from txt

#
    166 riders are down to start today. They're all lined up ready to go. about 3 hours ago from txt
  • blazing_saddles
    The finish "straight" in Aber is VERY narrow, hardly room for a two up sprint, until the final 50 metres.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    "Looks like the winner will come from Froome, Kennaugh, lloyd, House or Stannard" cycling weekly twitter

the details are a bit sketchy... where did the rest of the millar/cav/wiggo group go?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Who the heck is House!!?? Never heard of him.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    rapha-condor, very decent rider, but not massive. - maybe he will be now :shock:
  • blazing_saddles
    edited June 2009
    UK+Champs+056.JPG

UK+Champs+042.JPG

UK+Champs+058.JPG

UK+Champs+064.JPG

UK+Champs+055.JPG

UK+Champs+069.JPG

I have a few more I'll do later....
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    well grant will be chuffed as f@@k
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited June 2009
    Pokerface wrote:

kristen house rapha condor
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Pokerface wrote:

He's a leading domestic "pro" (Rapha Condor) - he was the only one with Millar recently I think (out of the UK-based lads) - also, ridden well in S.A IIRC. He's always there or thereabouts in the Premier calendar events. Looks like he's just won the National champs - congrats Kristian.
  • edeverett
    edeverett Posts: 224
    Ha ha! someone's been having fun with wikipedia:

"He is the current holder of the 2009 British Road Race Champion's jersey following his emphatic trouncing of a whole host of continental professionals on the Abergavenny/Tumble circuit."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristian_House

I wonder how long that will stay like that. It looks like it's his first result for a while.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pokerface wrote:

Well we all have now, Kristian House.... 2009 British Road Race Champion.

You know the guy in the White Jersey.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    Who came sickened and toured.
  • don key
    edited June 2009

Is nuffin to do with Grant, he doesn't even know he owns a bake shop, not the full loaf anyway.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Some more photos for you, which I took on the finishing straight.

The ones below are small versions, the big versions and other photos (about 40 in all) are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29753260@N04/sets/72157620546110741/

3669239620_4c163fe661.jpg

3669258930_e9165f6f5a.jpg

3669276376_ac9917eecc.jpg

3669356894_1b20616fcb.jpg

3669364638_006086b338.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    don key wrote:

Is nuffin to do with Grant, he doesn't even know he own a bake shop, not the full loaf anyway.

he will still be talking it up...
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Just goes to show that the top pros are nothing without their team mates to drag them round :wink:
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Great photos- thanks
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ju ... -cavendish

Groan.

Oi, Cav- get over here. Now over my knee whilst I give you a good spanking with this slipper.

Then off to an early bed with no supper for you.

Doncha just luv him?
  • blazing_saddles
    Tusher wrote:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jun/28/british-road-race-championship-mark-cavendish

Groan.

Oi, Cav- get over here. Now over my knee whilst I give you a good spanking with this slipper.

Doncha just luv him?

A bit small, but they seem to want to ride on opposite sides of the road!
    UK+Champs+068.JPG
  • stefrees
    stefrees Posts: 137
    Tusher wrote:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jun/28/british-road-race-championship-mark-cavendish

Groan.

Doncha just luv him?

to be fair in a lot of the pics it seems as tho cav is constantly on the front, something ive also seen written in a couple of places, it must be frustrating to do all the work for someone to do none. i really wanted to see the british juersey in the tour
  • don key
    It was meant to be an edit, turned into a quote.
  • Mark Alexander

( he was saying earlier in the week that he may get broomed up before the climb!)

Boy done good. :wink: We passed him as we went down the Tumble. 8)

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • blazing_saddles

Boy done good. :wink: We passed him as we went down the Tumble. 8)

So did I! Gave him a shout. I expect you've had the full account, but he's written a great little blog, over in my other place. Called it Cav v Me! getting rave reviews.
    Here is that man. we actually had a little meeting of minds, before the start.
    UK+Champs+030.JPG

I expect he's aleady told you, Cav Millar and Wiggo kept getting in our way! :lol:

UK+Champs+039.JPG
  • Mark Alexander
    Coach: Mark, you're clashing?"
    Cav: I told you yellow wasn't a good idea"
    Rob P: "It's the dragon that makes it Old boy"

Cav: "Mr Powell, can I have your autograph? It's for my Granny"
    Rob: Your Granny's name's Mark?"

• rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    Blazing Saddles

Link to the blog please!