National Road Race Champs Abergavenny

Mettan
Mettan Posts: 2,103
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Looks like a great line-up of riders (and a big field) - does anyone know if this is going to be on TV or a feed online ??

Think Andy Bye from this forum is racing, against the likes of Cav, Wiggins, Millar, Hammond etc etc.......should be good.

Comments

• H'mm - I would've thought clips would be on Cycling.tv because they filmed it a few years back but I can't see anything in their schedule of races. The same clips (if there are any) will probably be on Eurosport in few weeks time too.

I'm hoping to go and see it - I noticed this time round they're going up the tumble before they do the circuits round the town - does anyone know the best place on the tumble to watch - I've only been up it once and I can't remember seeing too much 'spectating space' on the steep bit.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Did the whole course, this morning. My doorstep. Very technical from Monmouth to Abergavenny. No flat, no straights. Pinch points on a couple of nasty bends.

They are only climbing the Tumble once, then it's back down to Abergavenny for the smaller circuits.
    2009_BRITISHRRCHAMPS_MENPROFILE.GIF

As with most climbs, it's best viewed near the top, although the gradient eases off, up there.
    That's where I always go. It's far more open, up around "the pond," just before the very top.

No.....er.....easy way by bike.:wink:
    Parking space by the pond, the summit and on the first bit of the decent.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • I was figuring I would take my bike up the tumble - that way I would be able to get back into Abergavenny to see the circuits without too much hassle. It looks like the town circuits must be fairly short ~4.5-5miles based on the times. Is it finishing in the same place as 2007 - can't really describe it up a short incline opposite a hotel/pub?
  • blazing_saddles
    Then, enjoy the ride!
    Yup. Just by the Grosfield pub, right outside the public library. 100 metres up from the main street.
    Friday evening, there's a UCI calander crit on the same course. (I pressume)
  • Can't see anyone beating Wiggins, he's flying at the moment.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Can't see anyone beating Wiggins, he's flying at the moment.

I wouldn't count out Millar just yet. He's got a bit more tactical nouse i suspect.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    teagar wrote:

I wouldn't count out Millar just yet. He's got a bit more tactical nouse i suspect.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the pair of them are in the leading group towards the end of the race. I've been wanting to see Garmin attempt to throw a couple of their guys off the front of a race and time trial their way to the finish, but it never seems to happen.
  • Mettan
    Thanks Jimmer & Blazing - looks like a good race shaping up - everyone's there - be interesitng to see how Russ does against the International Pros - wasn't Russ the highest placed English guy at the Worlds in Italy recently? - great ride if I remember.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    My only complaint would be the length of the race, 160 km seems a bit short for a National Championship.

Does anyone know why they've shortened it this year?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Mettan wrote:
    wasn't Russ the highest placed English guy at the Worlds in Italy recently? - great ride if I remember.
    Around 45th I think. He was the ONLY Brit to finish the men's road race.

2898467843_c75fa3cc8b.jpg
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Could be something in that statement, seeing the agro he took regarding a certain Madison.
    He could then show he is a roadman also, to certain people.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Mettan
    Bronzie wrote:
    Around 45th I think. He was the ONLY Brit to finish the men's road race.

2898467843_c75fa3cc8b.jpg

Yep , great performance that was - he's good enough to be an International Pro - been best in Britain (domestically) for a number of years imho.
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    What time does it start?
  • mozwyn69
    mozwyn69 Posts: 170
    11am start, back in Abergavenny for 13.40 and a 15.15 finish according to the website.
    Sometimes you have to lose yourself
    before you can find anything.
  • blazing_saddles
    Great link here, from startlists, to "cyclinglinks". A Dutch number that itself has all the national championship sites, plus lots more:-
    http://www.cyclinglinks.nl/
  • Eurosport has it scheduled for an hour on, er, 6 July...
  • After the 1st stage of TdF .....Eurosport will be showing highlights on 4th July at 7pm!!!!
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I fancy taking the little ones along to see, any suggestions where? The town centre I suspect. I take it the big car park on the brecon road will be open?
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Does anyone have any times for the crit on the Friday night?
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Crit starts at 8pm and lasts for 75 minutes. Map:

http://www.abergavennyfestivalofcycling ... t_map.html

There are youth support events before the main crit.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Crit starts at 8pm and lasts for 75 minutes. Map:

http://www.abergavennyfestivalofcycling ... t_map.html

There are youth support events before the main crit.

Excellent, cheers for that... :D
  • blazing_saddles
    Just seen a few of the men, checking out the UK championship course.

Getting ready for Nicole Cooke's gang to get underway, as the heavy, Abergavenny holiday traffic continue to totally ignore the huge, "Road Closed" signs. :x
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I just had Rob Hayles ride by me in the Peak District wearing his National Championship jersey. Getting the last day's use out of it before it goes back in the closet for good I guess!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    So who won the women's race? 6pm and nothing on Cycling Weekly, Cyclingnews, British Cycling...
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Cooke from Armistead and Pooley. Just her tenth title.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Cooke from Armistead and Pooley. Just her tenth title.

Cheers. Home win, too, more or less.
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Bit more local knowledge anyone. the link to the festival doesn't work. Trying to work out where to watch after Monmouth. the times on the map are impressive. I can drive from Raglan to Monmouth in the time shown. anyone know of a better map? guess parking on the Blorenge is going to be hard to come by and only accessible from the south. How many town circuits ? now if I could get a decent website maybe I could answer my own questions. thanks
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Guess times are road closure times.
    how do they go from Raglan to Monmouth, ? tho' Mitchel Troy or dingestow?
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    mattsccm wrote:
    Bit more local knowledge anyone. the link to the festival doesn't work. Trying to work out where to watch after Monmouth. the times on the map are impressive. I can drive from Raglan to Monmouth in the time shown. anyone know of a better map? guess parking on the Blorenge is going to be hard to come by and only accessible from the south. How many town circuits ? now if I could get a decent website maybe I could answer my own questions. thanks

The map on that web site says 10 circuits of 7 km's.
    My own thoughts are to see the race come through Abergavenny as they ride from Monmouth to the Tumble and then find a place on the circuit.
    Too many closed roads to do anything else, unless Blazing Saddles can give you better advice.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • blazing_saddles
    Site is down.
    10 circuits in Aber.
    Follow the detour signs. At least you won't have the Saturday shopping crowd, parking headache.
    Best way to the Blorenge is from Govilon, but go just "over the top" a bit.
    Or come from the North via Heads of the Valleys road to Brynmawr and back to Blaenavon.
    If you know it at all, there are a couple of car parks and plenty of verge room on the North side.
    Assuming, of course, we don't get Alpe D'Huez size crowds!

Oh and they may be running road closures of an hour. For instance, I know the road in Usk is closed from 11am to midday.