Is it advisable to train with a sometimes twinging knee?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
Hello all,

have been on a training plan that my superfit cousin created for me recently,. started it last Monday, and went out pretty much every day last week.

It involves going out for an hour before work most days, some recovery days, and longer rides at weekend.

The rides will include 15 minutes of more of either high cadence work, or high gear work.

Yesterday I completed a 42.5 mile route, and this included two 15 minute big gear sessions (ie pushing a bigger gear than I normally would) and whilst this was hard work, as it should be I guess, I managed fine, and got home with no ill effects.

Did my stretches, as per usual, no issues at all, felt fine.

Then not long after when walking up stairs I noticed a little twinge in the back of my left knee, but thought not much of it, it didn't really develop during the day, but this morning on getting out of bed noticed it far more so, a few twinges just when walking about, and some that made me wince, all be it mildly.

Decided to take today as a rest day, but still had to ride into work, as that's how I commute.
Felt mostly ok on the bike on the way in (It's only 2 miles) was able to get out of the saddle with no noticable ill effects.

Now at work, sat at my desk for a bit, and then when I get up it is pretty noticeable twingewise :?

Trying to work out if I should lay off the training altogether, don't really want to do it, or if I should carry on full tilt, or throttle back, or miss out the strength and or cadence work just to keep the miles in?

The pain is at the back of the knee, kind of feels like it is in the bend as it were.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Dan

You might be overstretching your hamstrings a bit. You could try dropping the saddle just a couple of mm.

www.BikeDynamics.co.uk

Mike at BikeDynamics.
  • daniel_b
    Hi BD, that has to be worth a go, thanks for the tip,

maybe even I overstretched it even when I was stretching post ride......?

:?

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Daniel

You don't say how old you are

Since I started cycling more seriously over the past 5 years ( I'm 43 yrs now) I often get twinges as you describe. Ignoring them is usually the best plan unless they really do hurt.

Also does the training make it worse? If it does then stop the training. At the moment your are describing a problem when you are not on the bike. Sounds like getting on the bike might help it!
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Daniel B wrote:
    Hello all,

have been on a training plan that my superfit cousin created for me recently,. started it last Monday, and went out pretty much every day last week.

It involves going out for an hour before work most days, some recovery days, and longer rides at weekend.

The rides will include 15 minutes of more of either high cadence work, or high gear work.

Yesterday I completed a 42.5 mile route, and this included two 15 minute big gear sessions (ie pushing a bigger gear than I normally would) and whilst this was hard work, as it should be I guess, I managed fine, and got home with no ill effects.

Did my stretches, as per usual, no issues at all, felt fine.

Then not long after when walking up stairs I noticed a little twinge in the back of my left knee, but thought not much of it, it didn't really develop during the day, but this morning on getting out of bed noticed it far more so, a few twinges just when walking about, and some that made me wince, all be it mildly.

Decided to take today as a rest day, but still had to ride into work, as that's how I commute.
    Felt mostly ok on the bike on the way in (It's only 2 miles) was able to get out of the saddle with no noticable ill effects.

Now at work, sat at my desk for a bit, and then when I get up it is pretty noticeable twingewise :?

Trying to work out if I should lay off the training altogether, don't really want to do it, or if I should carry on full tilt, or throttle back, or miss out the strength and or cadence work just to keep the miles in?

The pain is at the back of the knee, kind of feels like it is in the bend as it were.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

Dan

Sounds like an overuse muscular issue - not an acute insult inside the joint (like a new meniscus tear) - follow BikeDynamics advise re saddle and take it easy for a bit - listen to your body when resuming gently, and see how it goes. Sounds like you'll be ok.
  • daniel_b
    Thanks Vorsprung and Mettan for your thoughtful replies,

I'm 32, 33 next month, so i guess I am no spring chicken :? :D

It has become slowly more uncomfortable during the day, I am about to test it out super gently on the commute home, and if it's reasonably ok I will go out in the morning, but I think just concentrate on HR ranges, and not try any strength or high cadence work and see how it goes.

I will defo drop the seat a couple of mm and see if that helps also,

Thanks again!

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • heftyrider
    heftyrider Posts: 70
    Sounds a bit like runners knee. Google ITBS (Iliotibial Band Syndrome)
  • You may find that you will experience knee pain for a few weeks due to the increased training workload. When i started to train hard, my knees were sore for a few weeks. After that they came good, i put it down to the extra stress and a saddle height adjustment. I recently dropped my stem on my bikes, for the first few weeks my neck and back got al little sore, but they are starting to come good now. I put it down to the difference positioning and the body adapting.
    2009 Cervelo S1
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite
  • ozbikeman
    ozbikeman Posts: 13
    Hi,

I have just had the same problem as you and did nothing about it for 2 weeks and my knee got no better, I went to the doctor and I had pull ligament in my knee really bad and now the doctor told me not to get on my bike for at least a month. Go to the doctor and get it looked at to make sure your not doing any damage. A few days to a week off the bike is better then a month. I had to take time off work also becasue I couldn't put pressure on it or even walk very well.

Hope you take my advise becasue no riding for a month or more this time of the year really F*u$king suxs.
  • smythe100
    smythe100 Posts: 2
    I used to get this a lot, so I told one of my chiropractor mates, he did something with my foot and I've not had a problem in two years.

Try one out, it can't do any harm
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Dunno if glucosamine and cod liver oil will do any good?