Shock Horror, sports other than cycling!

13»

Comments

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    edhornby wrote:
    another diver here ! wrecks are great cos you can decide how far you want to go into them (if at all) and it's a ready made reef as well, never really wanted to do caves though - that picture of the floridian cave is a million miles away from UK cavediving !

anyone want to try freediving? all you need is your lungs and fins :)

I was tempted once to go on a course at HMS Dolphin which is a cylindrical tower down nr Portsmouth. The tower is 30m high I think and filled with water. They teach submarine escape drills there but also used to do Free diving courses. The deepest I have dared go was 11-12m and that felt a long way down!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I used to be an accompolished football hooligan, but it seems to have died out in popularity these days
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Chewy Cheeks
    Chewy Cheeks Posts: 234
    spen666 wrote:
    I used to be an accompolished football hooligan, but it seems to have died out in popularity these days

Spen

from your previous posts and this description you sound just like the viz character "Raffles gentleman thug".
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    spen666 wrote:

Spen

from your previous posts and this description you sound just like the viz character "Raffles gentleman thug".

That was me, in my top hat and tails on the terraces.

"I say Jeeves, cut that rotters throat he has a chelsea shirt on"
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    None of the sports listed - not much of a fan of ball sports.

Until recently my No 1 sport was driving in the (SA) National Production Cars category along with some club level hatchback racing and a few rallies and rally sprints.

More recently I've been doing road running and cross country - all was going well until work meant little training but continued competition led to a knee injury that is only just coming right. I'll probably get back into XC in the winter time.

As for motor racing - at the moment I'm looking to return to motorsport, but this time as a "team manager"...
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Feltup wrote:
    edhornby wrote:
    another diver here ! wrecks are great cos you can decide how far you want to go into them (if at all) and it's a ready made reef as well, never really wanted to do caves though - that picture of the floridian cave is a million miles away from UK cavediving !

I was tempted once to go on a course at HMS Dolphin which is a cylindrical tower down nr Portsmouth. The tower is 30m high I think and filled with water. They teach submarine escape drills there but also used to do Free diving courses. The deepest I have dared go was 11-12m and that felt a long way down!

I know someone who did that course. He loved it, and got down to about 20 meters. He said that after a certain depth, you actually start sinking, something to do with air volumes and pressures.
  • Chewy Cheeks
    Chewy Cheeks Posts: 234
    spen666 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Spen

That was me, in my top hat and tails on the terraces.

"I say Jeeves, cut that rotters throat he has a chelsea shirt on"

I thought his mates were Bunny, Dave the 6th Earl of Bermondsey and Clarence the 3rd Earl of Burberry. I am saying this because the names are so funny - no pedantry hereabouts
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Feltup wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

I know someone who did that course. He loved it, and got down to about 20 meters. He said that after a certain depth, you actually start sinking, something to do with air volumes and pressures.

Yeah I saw a programme on it and they pulled themselves down a ladder for about 10-15m I would guess then pushed downwards off the bottom rung and sank to the bottom. Must be a scary sensation!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Refreshing lack of interest in sports which involve hitting or catching spherical objects - I admit I used to struggle with that whole hand - eye co-ordination emphasis you get with a lot of sports at school. Running was just too dull and seemed to attract oddballs so cycling it was.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Refreshing lack of interest in sports which involve hitting or catching spherical objects - I admit I used to struggle with that whole hand - eye co-ordination emphasis you get with a lot of sports at school. Running was just too dull and seemed to attract oddballs so cycling it was.
    Cycling doesn't attract oddballs? :mrgreen:
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Cycling doesn't attract oddballs? :mrgreen:

Obviously - but it was the runners who you could imagine going postal one day
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • girv73
    girv73 Posts: 842
    Sports? Not really. I played a bit of rugby (because I had to) and cricket (because I liked it) at school and did a few years of martial arts 10+ years ago, but it's always been cycling. Unless they let me play at F1.
    Today is a good day to ride
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    girv73 wrote:
    Unless they let me play at F1.
    No, we are talking about sports, Girv73.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    Feltup wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Feltup wrote:
    edhornby wrote:

Yeah I saw a programme on it and they pulled themselves down a ladder for about 10-15m I would guess then pushed downwards off the bottom rung and sank to the bottom. Must be a scary sensation!

it's scary at first so you build up with small depths obvously, but at about 15m the pressure compresses your lungs enough to make you neutrally buoyant and from then on you sink. you use a line with a weight at the bottom, grab it, turn round and fin back up. the sensation of getting back to the surface is just brilliant !
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight