Funny names!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    better than being called Emma Royd
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or Shelly Gash
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    77ric wrote:
    I'll put my hands up i'm guity of that too :oops:

Don't know exactly why but i always laugh out when i pass ecclefechan on the A74 roughly halfway between Gretna and Lockerbie. Think cause it sound like it's really rude.

favourite alternate name for a chemical.

Dihydrogen Monoxide, possible one of the most dangerous chemicals known to man, yet life wont exist without it.

kudos to the first person who can tell us the common name.

And no Wikipedia.
    Ecclefechan sounds even stranger if you speak Welsh - it means "small eccles [cake]".
    How odd!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Next village to Chapeltown is Ecclesfield - seems to be a common word in SHeff.
  • Anonymous
    Eccles cakes grow in fields?
  • supersonic
    Lots of strange things grow here ;-)

Apparently it is celtic for 'church'.
  • Anonymous
    ah, so ecclefechan means "small church" then?

I mean, fechan is definitely welsh for "small", but it's kind of strange to see a welsh place name all the way up there!?!

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread, there's a Llan-twit-major in south Wales.
    Roughly translates to "the parish full of major twits" :lol:

Oh, and Waunfawr in Snowdonia, which means "large Vagina"! I kid you not!
    Also, there's a Penisarwaun, which is "the lowest point of the vagina"

I presume that some ancient dialect used the word to mean "valley" or possibly "cleft" but the more recent use is certainly more entertaining
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Sorry but i think i can top you all

This man is so unfortunate.

Willie_Stroker.jpg
  • Anonymous
    LMAO!
    is that his name or profession?

I once saw a programme on magicians, and it had a caption as each was introduced, saying "card magician" or "close up magician" etc
    One unfortunate guy had "Mentalist" as a caption!
  • 77ric
    77ric Posts: 601
    Ecclefechan sounds even stranger if you speak Welsh - it means "small eccles [cake]".
    How odd!

it translates as church of St Fechan (St Fechin in Old irish, and St Vigean in Latin)
    Fancy a brew?
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    in a previous job, I used to deal with a buyer called Teresa Green. Always made me chuckle
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Nobody mentioned Wetwang (N. Yorks)? It's somewhere between York and Bridlington.
  • SleepyLea
    SleepyLea Posts: 127
    Place name not so good as others... but its near me and makes me chuckle... Thong in Kent

I used to work in a call centre, and some of the names that used to come in had me in stitches... My most memorable one is Mr Weedon... Which I naturally saw as a golden showers reference...

More recently, we had to try and contact a Dickdaniel. I read this as if he was a comic book villian, naturally I called him by his surname through out the conversation!
  • 77ric
    In my job, we often Import goods from China. One of the Factory reps we deal with has his Chineses name, but also an English name too. The English name...

Promising Dong

a hard man to deal with, gotta try not to laugh.
    Fancy a brew?
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    Netherthong and Thongsbridge near Huddersfield
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • lordmerchant
    lordmerchant Posts: 378
    I used to work in a plant nursey, and there was one particular plant - bluddy spikey thing "Rubus cockburnianus" lets type that phoenetically now shall we "rubus-cock-burny-anus" lol
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    My sister works as a receptionist in a surgery in Preston.... there was a woman (obviously from a council estate) with her 2 children.....

Barbie and Ken.

Classy eh!

I am always amazed how you can bring 'chav' or 'council estate' into ANY thread justifiably! :lol::lol::lol:

You have a little obsession going on there matey! :lol:
  • Guy I used to work with called Michael Hunt, liked to be called Mike.

Friend of a friend called Chris Chaves-Cox.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • 77ric
    Chris Chaves-Cox.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: LMFAO
    Fancy a brew?
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    There's a place near bolton called Nob End :lol:

Names has always fascinated me, especially the one's that are are traced back to the family proffesion, so Thatcher would Thach roofs, Smith worked with metals, Archer was probably an archer. Not to sure about Dickinson though.... :lol:
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • supersonic
    AN old teacher was called Dick Endall.
  • Penylope
    Penylope Posts: 320
    One of the black mountains in wales is called 'Lord Hereford's Knob' (snigger! :D )
    MTB's, SC Blur LTc & Cotic Soul (26" definitely aint dead!).
    Other, Genesis Croix De Fer
  • James_F
    James_F Posts: 137
    My old doctor was called Donald Duck. It was funny when I was 8 anyway
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    My old dentists name was David Kay...

someone already mentioned the place in shetland called Twatt, but there are a lot of people on Shetland with the surname Pratt....

imagine being a Pratt from Twatt... :D:D:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • supersonic
    Hehe, our local copper was PC Pratt. He got dismissed after been found smashed in the back of his van.

Prat!
  • My mum went to school with a boy called Giles Pratt, and as the name suggests he was from an extremely posh family.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    Road in Surrey called Jackarse Lane
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    from my memory there is a place not far from sheffield called Penistone. think its in close to tankersley or on the way to the river derwent (been a while since i was in sheffield)

sure supersonic will enlighten about my bearings though
    jstock wrote:
    places?

penistone

penis tone

:oops: