How to GAIN weight (healthily)

skyd0g
skyd0g Posts: 2,540
Unlike a number of riders out there, who often ride to shed the pounds, I have a problem that is the exact opposite.

I am built like a racing snake!!! So much so, that I often even struggle to find clothing to fit me. What I am looking for is any advice on what I should eat to assist me in healthily gaining weight & adding bulk to my svelte frame.

Are there any foods in-particular that fit the bill? Dietry supplements?

I eat well, and short of taking out an account with McDonalds & putting their drive-thru's on my training route, I'd welcome any advice. :) Ta.
Cycling weakly

Comments

• Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Lift weights and eat lots of protein.

You don't want to gain fat. You're one of the lucky/unlucky ones that's an ectomorph. Although you will not get fat, you will find it hard to build muscle. Great for a cyclist really though.
  • jonmack
    jonmack Posts: 522
    Sounds like I'm of a similar build to you. I'm 6ft1 and 64kg, wear small clothing and at times it's still a little baggy.

I've started eating lots more, trying to eat every 3 hours or so, and also started mixing up my own energy/recovery drinks with extra protein in to try and build up my muscles a bit. Haven't weighed myself recently but just getting out on the bike seems to be going better.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Thanks for the input guys. :)
    You're one of the lucky/unlucky ones that's an ectomorph
    - descibes my physique to a tee!
    mixing up my own energy/recovery drinks with extra protein in
    Any particular recepies?
    What are you using for the extra protein? The ingredients themselves, or a particular additive?
    Cycling weakly
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    You need a higher KCal diet to add weight, so try eating more nuts and seeds. They are high in CKals and fat. Not all fat is bad. Dried fruit is also high calories. As the others have said some additional good qualioty protein (eggs are brilliant!) and doing some resistance/weight training will help. Some good exercises for cyclists are squats, with or without additional weights. You can use a broom handle to do wide stance squats; Legs well apart, slightly more than shoulder width apart, with the broom handle above your head (hold in a wide grip). Keep back straight, bum sticking out, squat down till thighs are parallel with floor, do not lift your heels from the floor! Come up and repeat. Add some weight to the broom handle by duct-taping on bags of rice etc (or buy yourself a bar bell) once you have the technique right. You can also do single leg squats holding dumbells (or any other weights) down by your sides. I'd suggest you get a book, or at least download some pictures of these exercises from t'internet and use a mirror when you do them.