Deafening Silence

markwalker
markwalker Posts: 953
edited June 2009 in Pro race
And the much anticipated UCI announcement is ...........

I guess we have to wait some more

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    markwalker wrote:
    And the much anticipated UCI announcement is ...........

I guess we have to wait some more

Athletes yesterday, then teams and national federations.

Maybe something will come out tomorrow. Maybe not.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    UCI were suggesting later in the week at the earliest. There was never an intention to publish names today.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    UCI were suggesting later in the week at the earliest. There was never an intention to publish names today.

Does "days and weeks" ring any bells. I've given up believing them now. If they say something worthwhile it will be such a shciol it will be headline news anyway.
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    Taking a naive point of view for a second, I still can't believe a professional body can hold onto information for weeks after they have it allowing dopers to continue racing and robbing clean athletes blind.

But then it is the UCI, who appear to be total bs anyway.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    Its nonsensical for them to withold any information relating to positive tests for any period of time once the B sample has been tested (at the athletes request) and it is a fail.

Valverde has made the sport look like idiots over the last week by winning the Dauphine and now challenging the rule banning him from Italy.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Tour organisation put under pressure to end that stage at the border so they don't leave France, leaving him free to race.
  • iainf72
    Its nonsensical for them to withold any information relating to positive tests for any period of time once the B sample has been tested (at the athletes request) and it is a fail.

Perhaps but lets all remember that those things have nothing to do with the UCI. It's up to the athletes ADA to manage this kind of thing.
  • Swiss source, today:

The names of the first 15 professional cyclists to have been caught using the latest weapon in the war against illegal blood doping are to be relased tomorrow. The ’biological passport’ tracks changes in blood composition, and has been hailed as a breakthrough in the sport’s seemingly-endemic problem with performance-enhancing drugs. With the Tour de Suisse currently underway, the stakes are high

http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/switzerla ... html?14551
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Surely they want to wait until mid way through the Tour for maximum exposure for the sport - that's when these things normally seem to come out.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953

Valverde has made the sport look like idiots over the last week by winning the Dauphine and now challenging the rule banning him from Italy.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the Tour organisation put under pressure to end that stage at the border so they don't leave France, leaving him free to race.
    Problem is that Valverdi has never failed a test, other than a bag of blood there is no evidence of wrong doing, and that bag of blood was not technically avaialable as evidence.

CONI is also an organisation that appears to be less than white and have dual standards.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    The delay is because some homegrown riders have been caught and the UCI are currently trying to work out whether they're English or British...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    DaveyL wrote:
    The delay is because some homegrown riders have been caught and the UCI are currently trying to work out whether they're English or British...

LOL
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    This from Sporza
    http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/wielrennen/090617_doping_namen

Sorry my Dutch is not up to a full translation but this looks like a start.

Brian
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Only five?

Pietro Caucchioli (ITA) was on my 'list of possibly clean Italian riders' on a thread a couple of weeks back
    :?

Igor Astarloa? Shocker. Imagine how cr@p he'd be without the juice.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    Hm, igor astarloa got sacked from Milram last year for irregular blood values.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/news.php ... /may30news
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    With di Bonis named, how long will Gianni Savio be able to keep up his 'no riders in my team' dope spiel. :roll:

And a Lampre rider and a Fuji-Servetto rider, who'd have thought it? :shock: :roll:
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Does anyone else think that Kohl might have a point now?

5 riders?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    andyp wrote:
    With di Bonis named, how long will Gianni Savio be able to keep up his 'no riders in my team' dope spiel. :roll:

And a Lampre rider and a Fuji-Servetto rider, who'd have thought it? :shock: :roll:

Could equally be ex-Gerolsteiner and ex-Credit Agricole riders named. As presumably a lot of the bio-passport data comes from last season.
  • ...presumably a lot of the bio-passport data comes from last season.
    But that doesn't mean that any anomalous reading date from last season. Any 'suspicious' reading could be quite recent, and only be suspicious in the first place when measured against baseline date that was collected earlier.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    aurelio wrote:
    ...presumably a lot of the bio-passport data comes from last season.
    But that doesn't mean that any anomalous reading date from last season. Any 'suspicious' reading could be quite recent, and only be suspicious in the first place when measured against baseline date that was collected earlier.
    ah...and look who comes to life on doping headlines...the shock! :lol::lol:
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    aurelio wrote:

Yup true, just acknowledged that on your post in the other 'fred.
  • dulldave wrote:
    Does anyone else think that Kohl might have a point now?

5 riders?
    Yes. But then again I never had much doubt in the first place.

From the UCI...

the overall analysis of the individual profiles of some 840 riders in the programme shows that a very large majority of their profiles do not display any anomalies

I wonder what that actually means. Sixty percent would be a fairly large majority, so the UCI's press release could still be true even if they have found another 330 profiles to be anomalous...
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    calvjones wrote:
    Only five?

These are new cases based just on the passport profiles - be interesting to see if they name those where early evidence emerged of a dodgy passport profile and were targetted and caught by traditional testing e.g. Colom. Kohl's profile would be interesting ....
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    aurelio wrote:

Lampre has stated that Caucchioli's readings came from Sept 2008 prior to signing with them.

Blows apart the theory that the French teams are beyond reproach
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • aurelio_-_banned
    aurelio_-_banned Posts: 1,317
    edited June 2009
    Timoid. wrote:
    Lampre has stated that Caucchioli's readings came from Sept 2008 prior to signing with them.Blows apart the theory that the French teams are beyond reproach
    Don't you mean it 'blows apart the theory that any rider who rides for French team is beyond reproach'? (Not that I have ever heard anyone actually argue such a thing!).

Whatever individual riders might get up. to the claim of Lampre, if true, certainly doesn't show that organised, team-level doping is as widespread in the French-based teams as it has been shown to be in many others.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Fofonov got done last year and he rode for Credit Agricole didnt he?
  • iainf72
    aurelio wrote:

Whatever individual riders might get up to the claim of Lampre, if true, certainly don't show that organised, team-level doping is as widespread in the French-based teams as it has been shown to be in many others.

I can't think of any examples where team wide doping has been shown, aside from perhaps Saiz's squad and T-Mobile?
  • Cumulonimbus
    Are we sure that that is the end of this batch? The earlier link said there were 15 cases, maybe 10 more over the next few days?
  • iainf72
    Gripper says more coming (maybe)

But it doesn't sound like there will be any more soon

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=re ... &type=lgns

Oh well.

shipment_of_fail.jpg
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Isn't our Pat a showman? He's been teasing us for months with "days and weeks". When the time comes to shoot it out, he lets it go one drop at a time.

It's kind of like a stripper taking an hour to take off a shirt, only to reveal a sagging belly... "well, maybe the next part will be better... when she gets there..."

Personally, I'm of those who tear off their band-aids in one go, rather than slowly letting it pull out every single hair. Pat seems to be the complete opposite.